Thread: Triton dual battery setup. Redarc questions?

Triton dual battery setup. Redarc questions?

Gents, i'm at a bit of a crossroad and no one locally can give me any concrete advice...

I have a MN triton with a dual battery (underbonnet) and i'm having some conflicting reports about a redarc setup.

The batteries, Redarc SBI12 and wiring to the tub (12vcig plugs off 4mm wiring for LED lights etc and an anderson plug of 8B&S for my fridge) are already installed but i haven't wired the batteries/redarc up yet and i just run the fridge off the D/C battery and charge that when needed. Been ok for now at least. Last week when i went to wire it up i was told the SBI12 was fine and a BCDC isn't needed as the alternator is constant however yesterday i was told that i need both the BCDC and the SBI12 and that i only need a BCDC...

I know i need a BCDC if i go solar but do i need a BCDC with the SBI12 isolator? It appears it does the same job as those mechanical VSR's and loads of people use those. The other issue i have is there is no room to mount the BCDC in the engine bay unless its mounted in front of the radiator so can they be mounted under a seat or anything?

Banned
    Have you contacted redarc?

Triton dual battery setup. Redarc questions?

My BCDC was mounted in front of the rad. No issue. Was told BCDC was required to ensure dual batts were charged to 100%. I also had a future view of going solar so went that path.

The seperate Redarc isolator was also installed as part of the dual batt setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by StanM3; 17-01-18 at 03:38 PM.

A DC/DC Charger is a cash cow for all the companies! If you go solar you just need a reg and then you plug it in manually when you have stopped.

I've had the SBI isolator configuration for 13yrs. I actually only replaced it about a year ago as it finally blew up, it had been in two cars... So I got a brand new one, and I also have another SBI in my Wildtrak which is 4yrs old, and I've had smart charge disabled.

About 18months ago I put a 3rd battery in my Landcruiser for fridge duties only, and decided I would give the DC/DC a shot because it's all the rage, well it's destroyed two batteries now...

Keep it simple and it'll work fine for years to come.
    Last edited by South; 17-01-18 at 05:56 PM.

I dont know the how its meant to be done, but I have had the SBI for 10 years on my cruiser. Batteries lasted 8 years and i then i only just changed the aux battery as its still cranking of the main.

Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    Have you contacted redarc?
    Not sure if you are being serious or a potato however i did try and no one was available to help at the time.

Hence why i asked on here and cheers lads! I did suspect that a simple SBI would work fine given how many people must use the 4WDSC etc dual battery isolators.