Thread: Seasick - R33 Track Car

Seasick - R33 Track Car

Hi guys, this is my R33 Skyline track car. The car belonged to an ex-drifter who had put it together reasonably well when I picked it up early last year. It came with:

Stock RB25 block and head
    Hi-flowed turbo
    Blitz front mount IC and IC pipes
    Fuel pump, 740 something injectors and Z32 AFM
    Apexi Power FC running E85 fuel
    3" turbo back
    New coilpacks, water pump and timing belt
    Short-shifter
    Exedy cushion button
    BC coilovers
    HICAS lockout/toe-kit and no-name camber arms
    Crap bolt-in cage to satisfy VicDrift regs
    Catch-can, fake OMP wheel and other bits and bobs, old school HKS boost gauge which is pretty neat.

Nopics and I picked the car up in Traralgon and dropped it back to Rob at Sabbadin Automotive in Mulgrave. We'd left the fake bride and wheels with the seller and swapped over some R33 GTR rims and the stock seat before the drive home.

Since then we've added:

Old red Velo seat
    Velo steering wheel
    Hard-race castor arms, brace and front camber arms
    Rear sub-frame lock spacers
    Alloy rad
    New rotors, braided lines and PMU pads

Rob ran the car up on the dyno to check the tune and overall it's fine, though the seller reckoned it was making 270kw at 18 pound. It ran 230kw on Rob's dyno which generally reads lower. My mate Dan then did the wheel alignment at his shop around the corner. Dan's grouse because he spends a lot of time getting the setup spot on and I don't have to argue about how much toe, camber, etc like some other alignment shops. An old gentleman had his bone stock AE86 in for a service.

Dan also got me some new Hankook RS4s on a 4 for the price of 3 deal. These are meant to be up there with Yokohama AD08Rs so we're keen to see how they go.

Plan is to get Nopics started with motorkhana's and on the track eventually, I've got a foot on her so the seats got a Justjap adjustable rail which was meant to be bolt-in but turned out to be a real pain. Other than that on the immediate to do list Rob's still got to pull the cage out and weld in a harness bar, install the harness I thought I'd lost, replace the weldy with a Kazz 1.5way and 4.11 gears to stop it understeering everywhere, flush the old E85 and I've got to get the RS4s on some wheels. A mate wants the R33GTR wheels for his 180SX Type X so I'm trying to find Enkei RPF1s in 17x9 +22 offset (if anyone knows of some please let me know!).

Before going on Christmas leave I replaced the fleet at work - 3.5T towing capacity ought to do it.

From there I just want to get on the track and see what works, breaks, falls off, explodes . Down the road I'd like to pull some weight out of it, at 1400kg she's a portly vessel. From there add power and try-out some DIY aero which is entirely foreign to me.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers Alex

This should be able to pull a rapid rate of knots on its various voyages.
    Jokes aside a tidy R33 is a decent base for this sort of thing, it's a lot of car for the money
    from a time when Nissan were making good stuff. And they're not a half bad looking car
    when they haven't been completely leb'd.

Nice and clean, the 33's are a good cheap reliable track car and can go bloody quick with not much more than you've already got there. Power seems a little low, its either a crappy highflow turbo or theres stuff all timing in it. I also have an R33 with a hf on e85, makes around 300rwkw. It has completed many track sea crossings thus far and im quite impressed with its ability to hold itself together for a 20+ year old car. Mr Nissan built these things tough as nails. You made a wise decision picking one for track shenanigans. Hope to cross paths with you on the high seas some time soon. Ps, also an MS15 member. Aye aye captain

Hahaha

Thanks guys, agreed on all counts. Chief that's interesting regarding the power, would be great to catch up mate at some point and discuss your vessel

Great starting point, she looks clean as
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Looks like a fun weekend toy. When's the maiden voyage?

Thanks mate

Rob repainted his workshop start Jan which meant opening later so Iím trying to give him a few weeks to sort urgent jobs before annoying him with my problems, but hoping to break a bottle of champagne on the hull in March!

Car is at Sabbadin inching closer to the ocean.

Harness bar is getting added to the cage, the seat rail has been adjusted and we've put a steering wheel spacer to get the driving position correct. Gearbox mount was fubar'd so it's been replaced and Rob replaced the engine mounts with Hard-race mounts at the same time.

Also found a diff for the rear props. We'd planned to put a Kazz in the car but had so much trouble finding a 4.3 R200 housing. This ATS 1.5 way popped up in radelaide for a decent price so we jumped on it. Came from http://japaneseimportspares.com.au/home/ and have no complaints, communication was great and it got to Mulgrave in 2 days.

Entered Circuit Club Winton day on 12/03 with me and mate sharing driving the car/pushing it back on the trailer when it explodes lol. CAN'T WAIT

Last edited by gmr; 25-02-18 at 06:26 AM.

Excellent

Just finished my 33 build with a mate

Will be watching yours to flog good ideas
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Ditto mate haha

have been reading a lot of your posts on SAU

So unfortunately couldn't make it to Winton today for a whole bunch of reasons. Circuit Club were good to hold credit for their next day in April which is good of them.

Bought some new propellers to make me feel better. Have had RPF1s on just about every car I've owned I think, certainly every Nissan. $/kg they're hard to beat.

I didn't see your car, but just read you didn't make it. It was a good day. So nice to not have traffic every lap.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Nice car.
    Agree, Circuit Club are a great bunch of blokes.
    Wish I could make it to the April one (funds dependent) but will definitely be there for the August date.
    Keen to hear how the RS4 go.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

I had RS4's on today. Not a pinch on R specs.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I had RS4's on today. Not a pinch on R specs.
    Similar to RS3?
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I didn't see your car, but just read you didn't make it. It was a good day. So nice to not have traffic every lap.
    Was sorry to not make it mate and was keen to say gday. Have stalked your build threads (all of them lol) for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    Nice car.
    Agree, Circuit Club are a great bunch of blokes.
    Wish I could make it to the April one (funds dependent) but will definitely be there for the August date.
    Keen to hear how the RS4 go.
    Thanks mate.

Once the car's ready am keen to get to most of Circuit Club's days this year, great value for money.

Will be taking the 33 to Wakefield soon will report back on awesomeness
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Keen to hear how you go mate. Would like to give Wakefield a go later this year, watched a lot of SXdevelopments videos that corner 1 sweeper looks hairy lol?

Got down to Sabbadin late Friday to pick up the boat and drop off the S15. Pretty stoked with the job Rob's done.

Seat, wheel and harness are in and Rob welded in the harness bar. Gave it a lick of black paint to make it a bit less garish than the original cream. Buying the Velo seat back in the day was/is still the best mod I've done. Prob should give the cover a wash actually there must be a few litres of butt sweat soaked into it by now lol. PS. the seats all the way back on the rail, once it's in the right spot the lap harness sits right.

We also threw out the linglong catch can and Rob welded up a proper one with speedflow lines/fittings draining back to the sump. Another customer has the same setup in his R33 and it's run for years without needing to tap the back of the head. RB's have issues holding oil up top and my fingers are crossed I'm as lucky.

Got a UVP from VicToads and drove the car home. The car feels really planted and is a ball to drive. The hardrace engine and trans mounts took out all the slop in the drivetrain and the ATS lsd is really smooth. Between the drivetrain whine with everything solid mounted and induction noise it sounds like the world ending when it comes on boost Got a call from a mate coming into the city on Queens Rd. He reckoned it sounded alright lol.

Need to get some metho or something to get the sticker off that old mate put on. It's well and truly stuck on.

On Saturday was pleasantly surprised to see the hull will fit four rims and tyres even with the cage. The car's currently with Dan at Razz Automotive to get the RS4s fitted and Enkei's put on the car, and once that's done she's ready to go.

Next event is Circuit Club on 28th or Vivid on April 29th at Winton but if anyone knows of anything coming up at Sandown or Haunted Hills please let us know? Hanging to throw it round the track now
    Last edited by gmr; 18-03-18 at 01:43 PM.

sexy fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by gmr View Post
    Keen to hear how you go mate. Would like to give Wakefield a go later this year, watched a lot of SXdevelopments videos that corner 1 sweeper looks hairy lol?

Got down to Sabbadin late Friday to pick up the boat and drop off the S15. Pretty stoked with the job Rob's done.

Seat, wheel and harness are in and Rob welded in the harness bar. Gave it a lick of black paint to make it a bit less garish than the original cream. Buying the Velo seat back in the day was/is still the best mod I've done. Prob should give the cover a wash actually there must be a few litres of butt sweat soaked into it by now lol. PS. the seats all the way back on the rail, once it's in the right spot the lap harness sits right.

We also threw out the linglong catch can and Rob welded up a proper one with speedflow lines/fittings draining back to the sump. Another customer has the same setup in his R33 and it's run for years without needing to tap the back of the head. RB's have issues holding oil up top and my fingers are crossed I'm as lucky.

Got a UVP from VicToads and drove the car home. The car feels really planted and is a ball to drive. The hardrace engine and trans mounts took out all the slop in the drivetrain and the ATS lsd is really smooth. Between the drivetrain whine with everything solid mounted and induction noise it sounds like the world ending when it comes on boost Got a call from a mate coming into the city on Queens Rd. He reckoned it sounded alright lol.

Need to get some metho or something to get the sticker off that old mate put on. It's well and truly stuck on.

On Saturday was pleasantly surprised to see the hull will fit four rims and tyres even with the cage. The car's currently with Dan at Razz Automotive to get the RS4s fitted and Enkei's put on the car, and once that's done she's ready to go.

Next event is Circuit Club on 28th or Vivid on April 29th at Winton but if anyone knows of anything coming up at Sandown or Haunted Hills please let us know? Hanging to throw it round the track now
    Haunted hills do a motorkhana the first Sunday of every month I think. Got cones out on the track so itís pretty tight tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

So I finally got off my backside and got this thing to Winton last weekend.

Picked up the car from RAZZ Automotive the evening before. Dan had re-done the alignment for me with some more camber and castor at the front. After 10 years of working for the owner Dan's bought the business and if any one needs mechanical work, tyres (performance, 4wd and standard) or a wheel alignment around Glen Waverley he's a top bloke.

First round of weight reduction done, reckon it dropped 5kg in dust and grime lol.

The plan was to leave Melbourne with nopics around 6pm and stay the night to get a good rest.. somehow we ended up leaving Melbourne at 10:30pm and pulled into Benalla around 1 in the morning

After a three year hiatus there was equal amounts of excitement and feeling like I was about to shit my dacks.

Took the first and second session very easy just getting accustomed to the car. Slowly built up more confidence as the day went on, but even at the latter sessions I was still underdrving it braking way too early and coasting into the sweeper and the s. Nopics came for a run in the first session and afterward asked why we spent the entire first session warming up

Ended up with a 1:44.6 for my efforts which I was happy with. There's so much in the car once I grow a bigger sack and the car itself was fantastic. It didn't push 98 deg C all day and the only issue that needs attention is the gearbox with 3rd to fourth being shagged which we knew about. Rob Sabbadin's got the new RB25 box that we'd bought for the S15 which we'll now keep for the boat once the current gearbox shits itself completely.

Overall I'm rapt with the car and can't wait to get back to Winton.

Until then the next voyage is Skylines Australia motorkhana in Kilsyth on 23/06, can't wait
    Last edited by gmr; 11-06-18 at 07:31 PM.

Well done, always good to get that 1st day out of the way. I see you stayed at the caravan park, I hope the heater was working!

Adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

see you there on the 23rd