Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil80 with a smattering of other sil* and *80's

Sil80 with a smattering of other sil* and *80's

This is partially a gradual, slow ass build thread, and partially a record of dumb shit I've done, and partially a record of anecdotes that I'm starting to forget, which are a part of why I like cars.

Chunks of the time line will be out of order because I'm a scatterbrain.

I always wanted a 300ZX. Dream car. So in 2009, I bought this:

1989 180SX, it just had a fresh SR20 from a halfcut installed, along with a fresh paint job. The guy had told me over the phone it was custom paint with metallic flake. I was young and clueless, I said 'ok sure'. Upon inspection, it was a grey car, with some grey flakes on it. Car had 51 weeks rego too.

I washed it, went out to Cronulla the next day. I wasn't ready for it

The whole car was flake. I was a little alarmed, but grew to love it. Was a fun car anyway, had coilovers, front mount, and basically stock aside from that. Had the reliability of a stock car anyway.

I slowly tinkered as I could afford to; new exhaust, new seats, sold the Lenso wheels for some random cheapies with tread, HKS camber tops for the coilovers. I was more satisfied by fixing niggling issues, like the headlights not going down after using them. The motors worked, as they would go up if you manually wound them down. The switch worked, because it would flip them up. The stalk worked, because it would flip them up when you hit the lights or highbeams. I couldn't find the headlight timing module however. Dafuq? It's listed in parts. I was picking bits off a wreck at Dapto pickapart one day and noticed that there is a subloom from behind the glovebox that runs down behind the ECU... I pulled my glovebox out, found an empty plug, put in the timing module that came in a box of spare part with the car, and my headlights suddenly worked! 6 months to solve that riddle.

I had no idea how many km's were on it, having had its dash swapped, it could have been a million. One day, after reading about them, I spotted the dreaded S13 cracks. A friend eventually helped me by welding them up, and then welding on some homemade fender braces

I eventually got roped into going to a Twilight event at Eastern Creek. I went with some friends of friends, but was basically on my own. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing, til halfway through the night one friend jumped in and told me some basics of drifting.

I still sucked. The night was crazy. 40+ cars queuing up for the wet pan, so only had 3 runs in the night. During the third run, the car developed a hideous grinding noise when turning the wheel. I jacked it up, nothing caught in there, no signs of damage to anything. Noone had anything helpful to add at this point. I decided if its fucked, its fucked. I might as well try driving home, and get a tow from wherever it stops moving. By the time I drove out of Eastern Creek, the powersteering self-bled enough to work out the airbubbles that were causing the hideous noises. Fuck. Ok, lesson learned.

I went out a second time, and had a much better night. 10 or so sessions, I was understanding the car, only spun out once or twice in the whole night. Mucho fun.

Not long after this, I went for a drive through National Park. Or tried to anyway.

Had been raining for about an hour, I approached one of the hairpins near the speed limit, hit brakes and steered in... the car went dead straight, right into a tree. There wasn't much in it, if there was a gutter or guard rail or ANYTHING at this point it would have been less bad. Probably broken suspension or something equally inconvenient, but yeah. Pushed the motor through the firewall, pulled strut towers toward eachother, bent the roof, bent the floor. Car was fucked up properly. Myself and passenger survived, albeit broken bones and broken friendship.

I was off work for months after this. Sold everything off the wreck, somehow made back most of my money. I should have grown up and moved on with life at this point.

Edit: imgur is fucking with picture sizes. Trying to make it palatable

The accident sucks dude sorry to hear that. Also sucks that it broke up a friendship.

So are you rebuilding or did you sell the car?

So 2010, friend of a friend had word of a bargain "Type x". Me being a dickhead, inspected, accepted that it had faults, and bought it anyway.

Had a blown gearbox (no second). Turbo made a funny noise. BYO wheels. Stunk of ciggies and the rear tint was fucked. I told nopics it'd be just chucking in a new gearbox and putting rego on it, back to living the dream. So I bought wheels for it

I started pulling parts off, and selling them. Car had blown gearbox, blown turbo, one blown coilover. Had a lot of weird fruit on it, later model floormats, nicer interior than my first car. HKS F-Con ecu, some bits of this and that. Then I out-dickheaded myself, and started digging a deep hole. I also pulled the engine out. I don't actually remember why I felt that was necessary. But I did it.

I also went Sil80, which was my dream for the previous car, but I never wanted to do because if matching a flaked paint job would be a nightmare. Metallic black car, no worries

I even went carbon bonnet, which someone else had put bonnet pin latches in crooked. Regret.

Brand new taillights from Nissan. $742 delivered, so current 2nd hand prices are a laugh. Even came with a new key barrel and two keys to suit. Anyway, around this time, I realised I was an adult, and had been living away from home for many years... so if I wanted to buy a smashed car, I COULD.

A smashed S15 shell popped up, that I could afford. So I bought it.

I'm sure any previous step could have been the beginning of the end, but this is probably the beginning of the end. Doing an S15 dash swap always leaves corners cut, and comes off feeling cheap or dodgy in some way. I had an entire donor car, so I was going to transplant the carpet, rooflining, door cards, etc.

It was a huge job to do, getting the dash to sit in the right spot was a cunt. Trimming the backs of door cards so they sit flat was a cunt. I had re-sectioned the doorcards (S15 doors are longer and taller than s13) but never got around to fiberglassing them. I also so that someone had some pre-made wheel tubs, so I hassled the guy for a set, which then started him making them in bulk

My plan was to run R33 GTR wheels with 255/40 all round, so replacing the tubs didnt seem like a bad idea.

Except I am a nuisance with an angle grinder

And until then, I had never welded before

The car kept snowballing and snowballing. Accumulated a lot of parts. Changed my mind about a lot of things. I think it is safe to say I was in over my head.

Good read so far.....cant wait to see what happens next!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Interesting that no-one wants to come to the rescue of 1uz though. Maybe he really is an annoying flog ?

This descent into hell was neverending. In 2012? a car popped up for sale on NS at a pretty outrageous price. I messaged a friend who had sold his car and regretted it - $4k for a 180SX with blown motor. And comes with $4k of brand-new-in-box parts! My friend sent back a snarky message, something like "I'm on holidays, you buy it if its so good, spastic"

Probably for the first time in my life, I had $4000 that I had saved up and not attributed to anything. But I already had a car. Wait a minute, I'm an adult! There's no reason why I can't buy another 180SX!

The thing was sticker bombed and had previously been on fire. Wheels were 17x10, and actually hit the wheel tubs at 3/4 lock. My first experience with a body kit that was completely cable tied on.

The bonnet had been on fire, because oldmate had run the car minus O2 sensor. The burning fuel that came out of the hole in the dump pipe - surprisingly - ignited the ECU loom, bonnet lining, everything. Somehow, lots of 'bad luck' things happened to the car. Doesn't matter, I bought the car to strip it for parts. So job one, lets get rid of the wheels. Step one: jack the car up

Ok.... this was a street driven drifter... Maybe a quarter of suspension-y bolts were missing. One castor rod bracket NOT BOLTED TO THE FUCKING CAR.

The engine bay wasn't much better. Dead SR20 with horrific knock and pumped out smoke. "I'm not sure how it died". Was running a TD06-20G untuned, with boost controller set to ???. The turbo was also seized in its housings - the oil feed was blocked with plumbers tape, paint flakes and metal shavings.

The rocker cover had been painted 3 or 4 times, with the last time painted IN the engine bay. So there was overspray on everything. The best part was that he didnt mask any holes, so when he put the oil cap back in, it peeled off a lot of paint flakes, which were all through the engine (and in turbo oil feed).

A mate had come by to pinch a seatbelt for his friend, and then suggested that I get the car running. What a great idea! Except I then had to pinch a seatbelt out of the black car.

The car came with forged pistons, rods, cams, springs/retainers, oversized valves, timing kit, etc. all brand new in box. I sold most of this, along with the coilovers, gay flatbrim parts, china strut braces, etc. and threw in the motor out of the black car. Peeled off all the stickers and tried to make it at least some what tidy

The interior was disgusting

The alarm had an annoying feature, where the windows would go up every time you turn the ignition off. Fucking great for a car you needed to work on.

So ripped that out - and the car idled better for some reason. Filled a few buckets with wiring. The boost controller was installed with TWO FULL SPOOLS of wire. As in, he bought 5 meters of orange wire, ran that for positive, and 5 meters of yellow wire, and that was his negative. All behind the dash ofcourse.

Tidied up the interior as much as I could, to make a comfy thrasher.

Exterior was never going to be pretty, but I just reverted to stock everything. In the end, it was on the road and registered for $600 out of pocket.

This was a really fun car to drive. Stock engine bay aside from some bracing. HKS lowering springs on KYB struts. Stockies with 5 year old chinese all weather tyres.

Sold my shitbox daily to a mates brother for $600, so this car was effectively free. It was the best of times.

It lasted for 3 weeks until nasty noises came from the car. Everyone told me it was big end bearings, so I pulled the motor and stripped it down. Lo and behold, there was no damage to any bearing, save the thrust washer. My mechanic friend asked me how I undid the flywheel bolts without a rattle gun; I thought that he undid them for me. He did not. The bolts were all stretched, and thus, the noise was a flywheel coming lose.

Fuck

Pretty sure we're related bloke lol, loving the read.

I will never understand why people do dasboard swaps to a later model car.

imho the S15 interior has aged much better than the 180SX/S13. The quality of the plastics and materials in the door cards make it a nicer place to be. Just my opinion.

So buy an s15 then?

Each to their own in the dash swap but I half tried it once and it was a fucking nightmare. Quickly backed out of that.

Where does one source S13 front wheel tubs?

Enjoying this so far and does appear that nopistons and gmr may have some ancestry relations. Nopistons, whats with the user name, is a 13b going to make its way under the bonnet of 1 of these?

Cheers boys. It's been an adventure, some days I forget the fun parts and just concentrate on the misery. Sort of the point of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Rockwell View Post
    I will never understand why people do dasboard swaps to a later model car.
    Because its an upgrade

At the time, had seen so many sick track cars with S15 dash... the air vents fit most jap 60mm gauges, so allow for a really clean installation. The penny drops when you realise that a tek screwed dash in a track car has no functionality of a standard dash. They simply don't fit. There are gaps around the A-pillars, the dashboard is a completely different shape, the door cars are different shapes, etc. Nothing lines up. A friend I met when parting out the first car in 2010 started an S15 dash swap, and was 'doing it properly'. I think as of 2017 he has finished it. Re-sectioned the door cards to suit S13 doors, repinned all the plugs so the window controls / etc. all work properly, re-wired and relocated the S13 climate control (ADM S15 has peasanty non-climate control air conditioning, but fuck making that work anyway). He plastic welded half of the S13 aircon piping to S15 piping so that all of the air vents are fed as per standard, and everything about the dash works as per factory. Every single piece of the interior was modified and tweaked somehow, to cohesively fit together.

I actually like the S13 dash, everyone says its plain and bland but it seems pure and honest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Each to their own in the dash swap but I half tried it once and it was a fucking nightmare. Quickly backed out of that.

Where does one source S13 front wheel tubs?
    These were made by Rex Kelway. His tubs started featuring in a lot of higher profile cars, that were actually completed

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    Enjoying this so far and does appear that nopistons and gmr may have some ancestry relations. Nopistons, whats with the user name, is a 13b going to make its way under the bonnet of 1 of these?
    I wish! I've always had a fascination with rotors, but alas, I needed a new username for PF, and my soon-to-be-revealed engine build included a silly joke at my expense.

Intermission

It might be worth introducing a few more characters into this nightmare

Pete is the cunt responsible for getting me into modified cars, back in the day. I probably would still be putting around in my auto SR20DE N14 pulsar to this day if he hadn't piqued my interest with his SR20DET swap.

The car has had a colourful life. Tomei 2.2 stroker kit, S13 front suspension, R33 brakes, Z31 rear end, Cusco 2 way LSD massaged into a longnose R200 housing. Even with a standard redtop, it broke many, many driveshafts after a reputable shop gave him a frankenstein combination for mix-and-match half shafts. Years of busted shafts was fixed when he realised that the entire Z31 turbo rear end fits into the S12, allowing him to run bigger factory shafts with a 5 stud rear end.

Matty I met through an absolute dumb cunt mutual friend when I had the first 180. I saw his car at night, it was an unremarkable purple-ish Silvia.

The car made 240rwkw. It had a china T04B, S15 injectors, S14 AFM, a china fuel pressure regulator, and Nistune. And stock struts with chopped springs. Exactly as he bought it, and he flogged the shit out of it for 2+ years. He bought some king springs and asked me to help install them, and then I finally saw the car in daylight, which started my love affair with Nissan TH1 Velvet Blue Pearl.

He however felt differently and did a bare metal respray in S15 white.

And promptly sold it that week.

The car stayed local, but now featured mangled guards, to fit the 17x10's that featured on my blue car.

And also hit a guard rial, which resulted in a camouflage job. The owner tried to improve the laggy but reliable setup and blew the engine. Then had 3 attempts at rebuilding it, before getting retuned at 195rwkw, eventually swapped for a stock motor and sold it. The car went to central coast, popped up 6 months later with an RB25, and then popped up one final time, sporting a new paint job

R.I.P.

Both of these guys feature in another of my bad financial decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by nopistons View Post
    Cheers boys. It's been an adventure, some days I forget the fun parts and just concentrate on the misery. Sort of the point of this thread.

Because its an upgrade

At the time, had seen so many sick track cars with S15 dash... the air vents fit most jap 60mm gauges, so allow for a really clean installation. The penny drops when you realise that a tek screwed dash in a track car has no functionality of a standard dash. They simply don't fit. There are gaps around the A-pillars, the dashboard is a completely different shape, the door cars are different shapes, etc. Nothing lines up. A friend I met when parting out the first car in 2010 started an S15 dash swap, and was 'doing it properly'. I think as of 2017 he has finished it. Re-sectioned the door cards to suit S13 doors, repinned all the plugs so the window controls / etc. all work properly, re-wired and relocated the S13 climate control (ADM S15 has peasanty non-climate control air conditioning, but fuck making that work anyway). He plastic welded half of the S13 aircon piping to S15 piping so that all of the air vents are fed as per standard, and everything about the dash works as per factory. Every single piece of the interior was modified and tweaked somehow, to cohesively fit together.

I actually like the S13 dash, everyone says its plain and bland but it seems pure and honest to me.
    Haha fuck.

Nice cars anyway. Looks like it was fun.

Early/mid 2013

I had a sil80 in the garage with no hope of finishing. A 180SX on the driveway, now with no engine.

So I kept buying crap. Like an NXR digital dash for the blue car.

I had also bought a car or two for parts. This was a tumultuous time, where forums like nissansilvia were dying, and facebook groups hadn't quite taken off. As such, when people WERE posting shit for sale on the primitive drift sales, I was one of the few people with ~5k in loose change. Meaning I could jump on any shitbox for sale, projects that people were quitting on, crashed cars, meth heads needing to sell to pay off overdue phone bills, etc. Big fish in the little sea.

I also found Jesse Streeter at the same time. I was basically sending him all profits from stripping shit cars. Blew my mind that for ~$900 delivered, I was picking up what would have cost $2k in stores in Australia. And it was basically free, after dealing with scumbags to sell shit parts from shit cars.

Nopics and I went to Japan for the first time, and I was still buying parts. Actually, when I was over there, Tim / Stupidflanders advertised some broken type x tail lights, and held them for two weeks for me because I was the first to comment on his post. What a nice guy! I don't know why I bought broken tail lights, but in my head it seemed to suit the theme of the blue car being the super thrashed version of my tidy over-built black car.

When I got back from Japan, I realised I was being stupid. So the only way to dig out, is to dig further down! I decided the black car was never going to make it onto the road, so I basically shoved all the good bits onto the blue shell, because it was registered. Something something polishing a turd.

Black car was pushed out onto the street, most bits swapped onto blue car, and a friend bought the shell off me for peanuts.

Blue car became more of a monstrosity, but hey, now I was down to just one project car again, and nopics would be happy with me, and we would live happily ever after.

[I absolutely regret letting the black shell go - everywhere the blue car is mangled and stuffed, the black car was faultless. The only issue with the shell was the roof, someone had jumped on it at some point, and the next guy pushed it out. Two owners after me unpicked the seams and welded on a sunroof skin, problem solved. I actually tried to buy it back, but other shit didn't line up when it was supposed to. Sad.]

Time to rebuild the engine.

Is that a volvo 360 glt?

Indeed it is!

As I started to re-build my engine, I realised I was semi fucked because I sold my shitbox daily a month prior. Luckily, my friend, who had owned this 360 GLT for the last year, had just told his wife that no, they couldn't afford new blinds for the house. He also bought a white 180SX on his way home from work, so she was furious. I bought the 360 off him to keep him out of hot water.

It was a hilarious car. He found 13x7 Chevoit Hotwires and resprayed the factory colour, cleaned up a lot of little imperfections on it. It was also unbearably slow, I found a guy in my suburb with an unregistered-but-running volvo 740 sedan, with B230FT, for $300. I was one SMS away from pickup and realised I was back into two projects again.

Nopics had just bought a new car, so I could use her previous car as a getaround until it sold / my motor was complete. I sold the Volvo, swore to nopics that I will now settle down and Keep It Simple™.

So the next day I went to check out another Silvia after work.

No roof! A factory Autech convertible. Guy had done a complete bare metal rub, primed it, and wants to finish off his other Silvia instead now (I should have taken note). So I called Pete, who hates everything that isn't his S12, his answer was "Does Otomoto still have that V12 half cut?" fuck. Supposed to talk me out of it.

I called Matt, asked how much work is involved in a respray, his answer was "None! Bring it to mine!"

So I came back on Saturday with more cash.

It should have occurred to me prior that when other people slap a project back together for sale, they don't use nuts and bolts. We put a car cover on the car when we strapped it to the trailer, then tied the car cover down. There was a hole in the car cover where the tail light garnish flew off, somewhere on the M4. Fuck

It went straight to Matt's house for paint. We rubbed back everything (horrible), dismantled everything and prepped for paint. I was going to be lazy and go with black. Matt said it was a special car, it needs a serious colour.

Satin black engine bay, Nissan Gun Grey Metallic body.

Around the same time, I was going through an exciting engine build for the Sil80.

I'm not a mechanic.

I'm not an engineer.

I don't have any trades.

I'm a book-and-computer nerd, who played too much guitar during school to get the grades I was capable of, coasted until I got into a chemistry degree through which I struggled with depression and anxiety until I eventually graduated and ended up building photocopiers.

So now I'm building an engine for the first time.

Took all of my bits to my mates dad for machining.

I had kept the oversized BC valves from the blue cars purchase, so they went in. I picked up a head from Biggie, with BC 264/264 cams, cam gears, springs and retainers. They went in the pile.

Plan was to have a slightly worked head, stock/balanced bottom end, and go for a sensible 250rwkw.

Machinist calls me up - the bill has gone up slightly, he ported the head for bigger valves and then found that the BC valves are all different length out of the box. Had to machine them all even, which was a few $hours. Fuck. Ok, it happens.

Got everything back, and started assembling.

Put my fresh block onto the stand, heated it up with the heat gun, started washing with hot soapy water. Dried out with compressed air + heat gun.

Put main bearings in, sat the crank in, tightened up the ARP main studs. Crank seized. Fuck

Some of the main bearings had FAINT marks on them. I didnt want to chance it, so ordered another set. $100 posted. They arrived a week later, I put them in, I VERY CAREFULLY torqued everything up. Crank seized again. FUCK.

I took the bottom end back to my machinist, asked wtf. While they had a look, I found online that there were several ARP SR20 products that came with different sets of instructions. ARP Main studs were apparently sold with 3 different instruction sheets, one was fine, and the other two pulled threads out of the block? Fucking hell. Machine shop calls me back, they've gone with oversized bearings (another $100), and said to torque to 70 ft lbs.

Next attempt, crank goes in, torques up, spins freely. *Phew*. Managed to put all the piston rings on without snapping any. *phew*. Dropped first piston into the bore with the compressor, no issues. Sweet. Turn motor over, put the big end cap on the rod, start a nut on the bolt AND IT FUCKING SNAPPED. FUCK

Had a good look. All four rods I had balanced with my bottom end had stretched rod bolts. A good friend chimes in, "factory rod bolts are torque to yield. They stretch dude. You're supposed to replace them every rebuild. Oh, by the way, when you replace them, you're supposed to check the rods for roundness again. So start over" FUCK FUCK FUCK

So, do you buy new OEM rod bolts? or just buy ARP rod bolts? either way, the rods are going back to the machine shop. At this exact moment, Anthony / too_much_boost advertised a rebuilt / 0km short block for peanuts, so I raced over and grabbed it. I told him my sad tale and he mentioned he had some used eagle forged rods for cheap. Ok, done deal. Grabbed both. The short block was my plan b, but I'll continue with build.

I return home, used stock pistons with forged rods, bottom end went together. Head went on, ARP main studs didn't explode the sun this time. Put timing gear on, and fucked the front main seal putting the oil pump on somehow. Fuuuuck sake. Anthony had a spare, so I drove back up to grab it.

New seal in, oil pump went on fine, time for harmonic balancer. I picked up an ATI balancer for a competitive price, so couldn't say no. It slipped on the snout fine, then got VERY. FUCKING. TIGHT. I pulled it off, the half moon key had slipped out of its groove in the crank, broken in half, and went straight through the new front main seal. fuck fuck fcuk fuck fuck fuck

Ordered two seals from Taarks along with another key. Put the balancer on without issue THIS time. Pump went on, head went together, motor was fully dressed.

Finally time to put the flywheel on, tighten up the new OEM bolts to spec* and... SNAP. Snapped a flywheel bolt. Are you fucking serious? Threw a rag over the engine and went upstairs. Fuck this shit.

*S13/S14 flywheel bolts are meant to be 85 nm. S15 bolts are 110? ish nm. So a useful yank compiled a list of SR20 bolt torque specs, and where appropriate, used the S15 number as its obviously better.

Bought some ARP flywheel bolts, the cunt went together. Finally. Thank fuck.

Everything else went back together, and went into the car on my birthday, and started. Wee!

Now, because I'm a spastic, I swapped over everything from the black car to the blue whilst it was off the road, AND built the engine at the same time, AND started the vert project, so there were inevitably 100 little jobs I forgot about finishing off.

Even so, the car survived its first drive to Chickos for a schnitty burger.

But wait! Theres more!

Pretty serious S chassis obsession. And I thought mine was bad years ago.

When I was putting the engine together, I was going off guides on the net, and Pete was dripping me information here and there.

"What do I do with welch plugs?"

"Knock them in with a socket as close to the same size, you want them in the block, but don't knock them in TOO FAR, but they can't protrude" *hangs up*

I get them all in, they all look fine. Call him back

"What sealant did you use?"

dafuq? FUCK

We left it as is, if they dont leak, they don't leak, just keep an eye on it. 800km's into the motors life, there was a bang and my water temp gauge shot up. I was around the corner from home, so idled home and shut off. Water was coming out of the bellhousing.

Earlier that week, someone on NS posted a thread saying that coolant was coming out of their gearbox, and got roasted for it. One seasoned veteran shut everyone up by pointing out there's a welch plug behind the flywheel. Bingo, I pulled off the little inspection plate in place for torque converters, and a chewed up welch plug fell out. I towed the car to a mates double garage, pulled the motor out and did a few other tidy-up mods at the same time.

Until this point, I had done all of my work on a steep driveway, or a cramped single garage full of shit. Using a flat double garage with free space everywhere was luxurious.

I decided this was a good point to sell my TD05-18G, and put in a HKS GT-RS instead. Also hacked up the rad support for a PBM intercooler, which somehow managed to foul on fucking everything in the engine bay, even their own $expensive intake pipe.

Car stayed in one piece mostly after this, and actually got driven around a lot. Slowly tinkered and improved things, or fixed stupid shit I forgot to finish off.

Picked up a set of LMGT2 in GTR sizes, so sold up the GTR wheels and tried to focus on the vert.

Only on PF would someone spot a Volvo in a thread about S13's.

Nice cars and excellent effort.

Well played sir. I think you may have even spent more on S chassis cars than I have, and I need to have weekly sessions to talk about that!
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

C63s AMG

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that S12.

I daily mine now

Damn, you’ve had some ups and downs. Makes for a good read though.

I’ve always liked an s-chassis, had 3 in the past myself. But you my friend have a sickness... 👌

The vert had come home from paint. THEN I found another aero bar, so it got painted separately and therefore didn't match.

Also found a Bomex Bonneville rear lip.

Was finished off with 180SX aero side skirts.

You might think "gee this guy is out of hand, he should get his priorities straight". I agree. So I proceeded to get out-of-hand-er. The vert needed a drivetrain afterall.

VQ30DET half cuts were around $1750 at the time, VH45 for 2k. All appealing, budgeting for bits and pieces, a conversion would hopefully cost 5-8k? Not too bad. It was around this time I told nopics that yes, I WOULD get serious, and after this year I would put all of my income to grown up shit. So with the money I had already put into the vert, and the pocket money I'd make for the rest of the year, I determined I had a $10k total budget to finish the car.

From an acquaintance who was quitting the game, I bought this nasty widebody, caged sil80 with an apparently forged motor. Promptly yanked the the motor out for the vert, and that night someone posted a WTB for a track car project thing. I showed him pics of a rolling shell, missing a few bits. He came down from North Sydney and bought it. He was laughing how, despite being a p-plater and already owning an S2 S14, and having nowhere to store this, and his mum was in VIC on a business trip and would lose her shit when she came home and found it, and its gonna be hilarious, and and and and and

And it was up for sale 8 AM the next morning, $100 less than what he paid for it. I guess his mum didn't find it funny.

As for the forged motor, I was getting pretty sus about it. I was moving it in the garage, and the breather pipe fell off. As in, they forgot to put it in the block before putting the head on, so they wedged it sort of in place between the two. "Forged motor". I didn't want to deal with it, so sold it on. Was about $1200 ahead on that black sil80.

So thennnnnnnnnnn I spied an R33 GTST for sale nearby, just needed a headlight and some intercooler piping, then would be back on the road (apparently)

I sold off everything I wouldn't need, was preparing for whatever I needed to get the RB25 into the vert. I was talked out of this, because they belong in skylines, and Silvias deserve SR's. So again, it was sold on, for much filthy profits.

Anthony jokingly told me I should purchase his latest acquisition. One of his friends old race cars' driveline had ended up in a p-plater special, which Anthony and two mates bought into as a cheap track car. For the other two mates, Shit Got Real™ so Anthony was left with a spare track car that he didn't need. So ofcourse I bought it.

Car was red labelled for height, sound, and being a p plater. This is the S14 SR20DE with Tomei procams + 6 speed + 4.3 diff that I keep filling stupidflanders threads with.

This setup actually made it into the vert.

I should point out that when I bought the vert, it was missing its roof. Two owners prior had thrown it out (as you do with rare cars), welded a roll bar onto the chassis and then gave up on having a track car. I was going to either try and import a replacement 240SX manual rag top thing, or just trim over the bare section with BRIDE fabric and get a decent roll bar made up, and only track it in sunny weather. I figured a heavier-than-stock convertible wouldn't be heavier if it was missing the heavy roof mechanism.

Since I was happy with the silly motor that was in the car, a nice chap from VIC messaged me on NS saying that he too had a vert, that he disassembled for restoration, but now has a job overseas and is willing to part with whatever I wanted to pay for. So being an idiot, I said yes, left for Melbourne with Pete at 4AM, loaded up a trailer and jackeroo full of vert parts at midday, and made it back to wollongong at midnight with a garage worth of shit.

I realised if this was going to be a complete vert, then it would be heavy, and a silly NA motor would be wasted in it (and waste of a car as well). So I bullied a p plater friend into buying the driveline, and he had a successful low-cost maximum-drift career. I started getting over the vert, bought a $300 SR20DE, plonked it in and...

Sold the nonturbo engine to buy another donor car! Again, from Wollongong. Local guy giving up on his project. Was a CA18 car, he's done the swap, drove it for ages, its sweet bro, will be fine.

A lovely turbo engine sitting in the bay of the vert. However a lot of things didn't add up from oldmate. The motor had been driven for a year, but it was spotless. SPOTLESS. All the gaskets were brand new, never been heat cycled. Brand new manifold and dump pipe... the reason the car wasn't running was because of "Wiring gremlins". Half of the CA plugs had been cut off, and the SR swap was never finished. Not to mention, there were no nuts holding the rear coilovers onto the rear knuckles. And the exhaust that he "just took off" and shoved in the car, was actually an R32 exhaust, so didnt match any of the hangers. I got real fuckin cold feet about it.

This was the end of 2014 now. I just hurt my back AGAIN at work, had a dummy spit and quit. I couldn't keep two stupid cars and have no job. I was trying to get back into uni and turn my life around, so I put the vert up for sale. Stripped out most of the fruit I put in it, but included this mysterious engine and gearbox (the shifter was rusted into the gearbox, so fuck knows how long it didnt have oil. The buyer was aware of this, and that I was uncharacteristically giving away an engine and box with the car).

Ironically, this was the first day the handbrake worked since it arrived at my garage. When I said I was going to stick to a $10k budget, my wheel-and-dealiness went through the roof.

e.g.

The car was CA18 stock, so had 4 stud gear with 250mm brakes.

I bought a complete R32 GTST rear end ($250), from which I sold shocks ($-40), control arms ($-45), diff ($-120), 5 bolt shafts ($-150)
    Bought complete R33 GTST front end ($250)
    A datsun guy bought the pitiful CA18 brakes ($-200)
    Sold the 4 stud wheels to a mate for (-$50)
    Had to buy S15 front end stuff for the knuckles and control arms ($220)
    I then decided to go with little wheels for maximum skids, so bought some modified 4 stud knuckles off a mate ($300)
    Sold the R33 front / R32 rear brakes (-$400)
    Sold the S15 brakes with the 5 stud gear (-$500)
    I then decided I needed big brakes because I was going turbo again, so swapped the modified 4 stud gear with a mates S15 5 stud conversion (0)
    but then sold that ($-450)
    and used the 5 stud conversion left from that last donor car with the suspicious engine, which I sold when I decided to sell the vert (-$450)

Eventually, I had full set of 4 stud parts from another 180 I stripped, so that went on the vert instead, with stockies, as pictured. I was $1700 ahead from going from 4 stud / CA brakes to 4 stud / SR brakes. I think this stupid crap was what I enjoyed most about the build. I was working 5-6 days a week, 8-12 hour days, and this was all after hours errands and opportunistic buying.

Every time something better popped up, or I changed my mind, I would have a ton of shit for sale

I think in the end, I was ~5k ahead on the vert, and ~10k ahead from donor cars I kept buying to finish it. Again, another project I wish I had finished. But sold it was, so the sil80 could continue living.

Cunt you had me at “I was young and wasn’t ready for it.” 😂😂😂
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    Well played sir. I think you may have even spent more on S chassis cars than I have, and I need to have weekly sessions to talk about that!
    I've kept spreadsheets for everything I've done. I shudder to think what I would get up to if I didn't hold myself accountable. Talking about cars strictly, I'm very far ahead. But if you look at my savings, you could argue I've spent a cars worth of money on sushi and energy drinks in the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by LB-XP View Post
    My heart skipped a beat when I saw that S12.

I daily mine now
    They're quirky but satisfying! His car was a very long road to get where it was, then life got in the way of keeping it on the road. He bought a house, so spends money on that instead of rego on a third vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    Damn, you’ve had some ups and downs. Makes for a good read though.

I’ve always liked an s-chassis, had 3 in the past myself. But you my friend have a sickness... 👌
    Some things I go through are 'common sense' to others, like using sealant on welch plugs. Everythings a learning experience. If not for a good story to re-tell, hopefully someone having stupid issues will read my thread and find a solution. There are SO MANY posts on forums of someone with an issue, and stops replying after getting 4 suggestions. Did any of these suggestions fix it? who knows? I think the really frustrating, infuriating problems definitely need closure.

More of your GLT instead of your Japanese shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Only had the volvo for 2 or 3 weeks. I bought it on the drop of a hat to help a mate out, then moved it on for the same price. Had super comfortable seats, it slid very lazily but easily.

You would literally sink into the seats

Interior space was insane

Could fit 4 17x9's in the boot, upright, with space to spare

Unfortunately having anything more than a packet of chips in the car meant it scrubbed on the 13x7s. Matt had lowered it "just right" so that the car was impractical

Would have been nice to make something of it, but Japanese shit is where my heart was. And is.

Was funny to drive in traffic. Either it was invisible, or people wanted MOAR. Was coming through Heathcote one day and a stanced KE70 pulled along side, flatbrim was hanging out of the car trying to take photos of it.

Edit: the guy that bought it from me was from central coast. every month he would put it up for SWOPS OR OFFZERZ. Matt wanted to buy it back, so I kept asking how much, and he'd say "oh, I'm not serious. I'm just seeing what people would offer."

wtf?

Eventually he swapped it for an NX Coupe.

The volvo popped up for sale again ... newcastle? "$800 must sell tonight or its going to scrap"

dafuq?

So ends the tale of the Volvo 360 GLT.
    Last edited by nopistons; 19-01-18 at 07:07 PM.