Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thinking of doing the Youtube thing.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    woohoo just passed 1000 subs! was wondering when YouTube was going to email me with a trophy but then found the option to enable it so now monetization is pending review, then I get to go through and pick which videos to smother with ads. Will be interesting to see how many views I lose, hopefully it won't lose me any subs.

For anyone who obsessively checks their channel stats like I have been the YouTube Studio app is good, just got it the other day.

Getting FTTNNBN soon too, so hopefully uploads will be a bit less slow.

Congrats on 1000 subs! I just did the same - took 12 months.

YouTube have been reviewing channels for bloody ages. Was supposed to be up to date by April. Didn't happen. Now it's end of June. Won't happen... There'd be channels out there with big view videos earning nothing.

I check analytics once every few months and have so from the start. I’d advise not to get sucked into that wormhole. Spend all your time making the videos themselves good, and I wouldn’t put more than one ad every 10 minutes personally.

Quote Originally Posted by QABB View Post
    Congrats on 1000 subs! I just did the same - took 12 months.

YouTube have been reviewing channels for bloody ages. Was supposed to be up to date by April. Didn't happen. Now it's end of June. Won't happen... There'd be channels out there with big view videos earning nothing.
    Thanks! congrats to you too, was yours monetized before the sea of trees incident?

fuckers. My views have been steadily rising recently so hopefully there is some pocket change to be had when it is monetized. I'm a bit surprised it takes that long to approve, the vast majority of youtube channels don't have anywhere near 1000 subs, I suspect it follows the 90-9-1 rule (90% of users don't upload, 10% do and 1% of them have more than 1000 subs) plus the 1% haven't all suddenly hit 1000 subs "now". I guess they want to make it happen too as they collect half of the ad revenue.

[EDIT] says they should have the backlog cleared by the end of this month, but it looks like they have been saying that since February. seems very odd, here is the youtube story https://productforums.google.com/for...be/ulNylqaITRs

this bit is a bit depressing
    Quote Originally Posted by youtub
    We're currently reviewing channels with the most views first, as the potential revenue is likely higher for those channels.
    I guess my channel will get reviewed some time after yours is QABB.
    [/EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I check analytics once every few months and have so from the start. I’d advise not to get sucked into that wormhole. Spend all your time making the videos themselves good, and I wouldn’t put more than one ad every 10 minutes personally.
    I appreciate the advice but i'm nearly out the other side of said wormhole. If I can cut it down to checking once a day i'll be happy, which I should be able to now I've hit this milestone. My editing/uploading/analyzing time comes out of my general internet time anyway, as a "homemaker" I get very little time to build stuff let alone film it.

I tend to keep my longer videos to 10 -15 minutes (if I can do it without padding) so if I had the choice I would only have one ad at the start. will review the options when/if my monetization gets approved.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 27-06-18 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    I guess my channel will get reviewed some time after yours is QABB.
    Just checked my analytics and saw my channel has been reviewed and approved! If yours hasn't been done too, I'd say its not far off...

Just checked my analytics and saw my channel has been reviewed and approved! If yours hasn't been done too, I'd say its not far off...
    Top stuff! Mine is still pending, wonder if you (and eventually me) will lose many subs from turning the ads on, my view to sub ratio is a lot higher than yours, so different kettles of fish.

EDIT 20180705: my channel is currently under review, they will let me know within a week from whenever they started.
    EDIT 20180712: still waiting. fuckers.
    EDIT 20180720: still waiting. Googlefu (haha) reveals this boilerplate in response to a few "where muh money at?" questions.

Hi there,

For anyone who was eligible and applied for the YouTube Partner Program before June 1st, your application has now been reviewed and email updates are going out this week. You’ll see your Monetization Page in Creator Studio update as soon as your email is sent.

If you applied after June 1st or only became eligible recently, you can expect to hear back in a month or so, as long as you meet the eligibility and program thresholds.

I am going to move your thread into the main discussion where you can read our latest update on YPP applications including FAQs.

Hope this helps,

YT *namegoeshere*
    Being a literalist in things like this I figured "Your channel is now being reviewed" meant it was now being reviewed, so deleted all the clickbait (not that there was much) out of the tags and so on, now I realise nobody has looked at it yet so probably didn't need to bother.

now at 1200 subs, woohoo!

EDIT 20180801: Monetized!
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 01-08-18 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Top stuff! Mine is still pending, wonder if you (and eventually me) will lose many subs from turning the ads on, my view to sub ratio is a lot higher than yours, so different kettles of fish.
    How's it going now that you are swimming in YouTube money?

Do you think having ads on your videos has impacted views / subs?

Funny I was just about to post in here, thanks for bringing this thread up so I don;t need to search for it!

Finally added another video similar to the one that has always made all the money/views and have been monetized for about a month now.

Views seemed to take a huge hit just after I Was re-monetized, for a second I thought "shit, better turn money off so I get more views" but then remembered I want money, not e-peen. I was a bit worried about losing subscribers and views to the point of dropping below the 1000/4000 threshold but the view numbers bounced back shortly after and have stayed about where they were just prior to monetizing, subs have been rising fairly steadily and I'm at about 1500 now. The money graph isn't stable yet but I should be making roughly $75 a month if views stay the same, was making about $30 a month before the latest youtube shenanigans blasted me, haven't worked out money per view yet but that's a fairly academic statistic.

I've started formatting my SD card before each project which seems to have fixed the recording stoppages I've been having, and worked out how to change the white balance in video mode, much closer to real than just using AWB.

Moving forward I'm not really sure what to film next, the problem has always been getting enough time to make stuff and the nopics can't keep the kids off me while I'm doing it (although she was slightly more receptive after seeing the free money graph)

If I film what i'm doing anyway it makes it take heaps longer and most things I build aren't interesting enough to film.

If I pick projects based on filmability it takes away from the time I would be using to get shit done, any time in the workshop is good though really so this is less of a problem.

A mate is planning on making a steampipe turbo manifold for his volvo, might film us making that. With the demise of roadkill and the popularity of skid factory it looks like there is room for more fairly technical car related material (based on what I want to watch anyway) I imagine it is tricky getting the technical/entertainment balance right though, plenty of channels get it wrong.

Got my NBN sorted out, uploading over FTTN is amazingly better than ADSL, I was able to upload a video for a friend to view remotely, re-edit and re-upload in much less time than it would have taken to just upload it once on ADSL, and no stuffing around with scheduled publishing either.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 28-08-18 at 12:04 PM.

Don't do more talk than working/fabricating.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

The RM turned out amazing QABB, too nice to ever get dirty.

snip
    Watched (most of) your last vid, I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't thought of that method of positioning decals before but I haven't done that many. Love the clickspring vibe you have going on in it!

EDIT: just noticed an option to pay a monthly fee to "become a channel member" on youtube. haven't seen any of the frequent uploading channels talk about it yet, guess YouTube are trying to compete with pateron etc. hmmm, seems this has been a thing since June or longer.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 30-08-18 at 03:56 PM.

how do you even tell? I assume my shit is a 'channel' although I haven't monetized anything. somewhere around 2500 subs and 145K views. haven't paid much attention to it all year as yet

Quote Originally Posted by bv View Post
    how do you even tell? I assume my shit is a 'channel' although I haven't monetized anything. somewhere around 2500 subs and 145K views. haven't paid much attention to it all year as yet
    You need 4000 hours of viewed time over the last 365 days too, check in analytics (click on your views number if you can see it, dunno how to get to analytics if they have put you on new YouTube)

Membership take up rate is pretty low is the rumour. Like 0.001% of fans will actually pay.

Hi Xnke. I watched your first video and i think the subject material is good, you speak clearly and cover plenty of details. I've been running a Youtube Channel since the start of this year to try to force myself to finish projects that I start. I'm up to 257 subscribers and i've just started a new project.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeR...V0IKDMJOqaDHMQ

I started out shooting with a combination of a Nikon 550D with a Rode shotgun mike but after a few videos, i stopped using the Canon because it was always a bit of a faff to set up and the footage wasn't any better than the stuff i shot on my S7 Samsung phone! The upside of the phone was that it would autofocus while it was shooting video (the 550D wouldn't) It will also run the flash as lighting (good for closeups) and I can shoot timelapse on it very easily. The only other thing i invested in was an LED ring light

this is of the things that will really lift your video quality. if you starve a digital camera of light, the picture will become grainy and look less in-focus. Another thing I had to learn was to set up different camera angles and shots. It does take time to edit and massage your footage and quite often, i'll re-shoot something if I don't like the framing or exposure. QABB's videos are really well lit, shot and narrated, mine look fairly crude by comparison but that's mainly because I'm impatient and have limited time to shoot and edit.

So what I'd suggest to you is: Get some lighting, even some cheapo LED shop lights will do. Look into getting a second hand S7 or S6 phone to shoot video with. Use your GoPro for timelapse or closeups. At some stage you're going to want to do better editing and I'd reccommend Blackmagic Design "DaVinci Resolve" you can download it and use it unrestricted for no charge.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...davinciresolve

make no mistake, this is a full stack video editor and will have a steepish learning curve, however that will give your videos a big lift in quality. It looks like you rendered your vid out in fairly low resolution which doesn't help with the overall look.

All in all, its a stout first effort, keep bashing away at it!
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Benonymous View Post
    Hi Xnke. I watched your first video and i think the subject material is good, you speak clearly and cover plenty of details. I've been running a Youtube Channel since the start of this year to try to force myself to finish projects that I start. I'm up to 257 subscribers and i've just started a new project.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeR...V0IKDMJOqaDHMQ

I started out shooting with a combination of a Nikon 550D with a Rode shotgun mike but after a few videos, i stopped using the Canon because it was always a bit of a faff to set up and the footage wasn't any better than the stuff i shot on my S7 Samsung phone! The upside of the phone was that it would autofocus while it was shooting video (the 550D wouldn't) It will also run the flash as lighting (good for closeups) and I can shoot timelapse on it very easily. The only other thing i invested in was an LED ring light

this is of the things that will really lift your video quality. if you starve a digital camera of light, the picture will become grainy and look less in-focus. Another thing I had to learn was to set up different camera angles and shots. It does take time to edit and massage your footage and quite often, i'll re-shoot something if I don't like the framing or exposure. QABB's videos are really well lit, shot and narrated, mine look fairly crude by comparison but that's mainly because I'm impatient and have limited time to shoot and edit.

So what I'd suggest to you is: Get some lighting, even some cheapo LED shop lights will do. Look into getting a second hand S7 or S6 phone to shoot video with. Use your GoPro for timelapse or closeups. At some stage you're going to want to do better editing and I'd reccommend Blackmagic Design "DaVinci Resolve" you can download it and use it unrestricted for no charge.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...davinciresolve

make no mistake, this is a full stack video editor and will have a steepish learning curve, however that will give your videos a big lift in quality. It looks like you rendered your vid out in fairly low resolution which doesn't help with the overall look.

All in all, its a stout first effort, keep bashing away at it!
    I find filming shit makes it take longer, but I've never tried to film a long complex project because I'm not sure how to make them interesting as the way I work out stuff is sporadic at the best of times.

Agree on the light, I think I tried davinci resolve but couldn't get it to work (at all) quick enough.

With audio I just use the internal mic as post syncing audio is one more step to get wrong, guess you need to use a mic if your videos have talking in them though.

Speaking of audio there is some weird panning thing going on at the start of your scooter build video, it (voice at least) pans left a few times.

I just listened to the scooter vid through headphones but I didn't pick that up... maybe another listen :-)
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson