Thread: Air Compressors

Air Compressors

My trusty old air compressor finally shit the bed at fraser over the weekend. First wouldnt go over 35psi, later wouldnt go over 30psi, then random turns off..etc.

Thinking of getting one of these https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...ompressor.html

Anyone had an experience with these, or other recommendations?
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Yeh I grabbed one of those for my ‘round Oz trip last year. All good.

House mate has one. Does his car fine, after doing his and getting halfway through mine it cut out. Presume thermal protection. To be fair I was going from about 10-12 pound to 50.

Gauge that comes with it is worthless but that's to be expected. It's also spastic that the gauge is next to your tyre and the switch is on the compressor. Have to walk back to the compressor and switch it off, then back to your tyre to check the gauge. We ended up getting a 1/2 BSP T piece, couple of nitto fittings and a 1/2 BSP pressure gauge to sit on top of the T piece. Now we attach the compressor to tyre, hit the switch to start pumping and just flick it off to check the gauge which is right next to the switch. Just need to fold up a bracket to hold it all safely but it works fine cable tied to the handle for now.

Also noticed the nitto fitting closest to the compressor got so hot you couldn't touch it after doing a car which made it a cunt to pack up. After adding the Tpiece/gauge/extra fittings I think there's enough extra metal there to dissipate the heat and it's now not even warm to the touch.

It's only been used a half dozen times so can't comment on long term longevity but does the trick. I'm waiting on a decent sale to grab one for myself. House mate managed to snag it for less than $100 posted which I think is my bench mark. He'd have spent another $40 odd on the gauge and fittings and shit.

Yea as said above. The one you linked is painful to use as there’s no hand trigger valve at the rim to check the pressure. You have to walk backwards and forwards.

Pretty sure Ironman compressors are awesome. I have a TJM unit that works fine but I too need to hook up a hand trigger
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

My best mate has one and its worked fine for the last 6 or 7 months. I don't like the screw attachment though.

I have a Dune/Anaconda one (and its definitely slower than the 4wdsc unit) and the first thing i did was cut all the shit off the hose and fitted a proper air chuck and over the years i've pretty much worked out how long it takes to do each tyre so i just walk away and come back with a small tyre gauge when its almost done. Has worked fine.

Probationarily unbanned
    Whilst I love the ARB compressors for their sizeerformance ratio, it's pretty hard to go past the twin thumper from the crooks at 4wd supacentre.

I think amongst my 8 mates who I go 4wding with, 1 has an original thumper (stupid design, had no pressure cut-off switch, had to add one himself), one has a 'mk2' single thumper and three or four have double thumpers. As mentioned elsewhere, make sure you get yourself filler chuck with a clip (or screw, but I prefer clip) on attachment to valve stem and a gauge.

They're big, they're powerful, they're mind-bogglingly cheap, I'm sure that some portion of them are going to have early deaths because of poor quality control and then you're left dealing with 4wd supacentre's deliberately terrible after-sales team, but at the price it's still hard to beat.

If space is a premium, I'd buy something else (and it is for me, so I did) but otherwise on balance, they're hard to beat.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotgemini View Post
    They're big, they're powerful, they're mind-bogglingly cheap, I'm sure that some portion of them are going to have early deaths because of poor quality control and then you're left dealing with 4wd supacentre's deliberately terrible after-sales team, but at the price it's still hard to beat.
    Yeah thats my concern, they seem too cheap and some of the storys you read about these guys are pretty hardcore
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Probationarily unbanned
    In the last week I've added anderson sb50 connectors to four thumper compressors belonging to mates in preparation for the high country at Easter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180303_180004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	105013
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

high country you say? ive organised a small group of us to head out there from the 8th..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Probationarily unbanned
    We're starting near Brindabella on the 29th, by the 8th we're in the general dargo area and we slowly work our way west.

Where are you headed?

Quote Originally Posted by hotgemini View Post
    In the last week I've added anderson sb50 connectors to four thumper compressors belonging to mates in preparation for the high country at Easter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180303_180004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	105013
    I don’t quite get it? What’s the plan to run 4 compressors at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Probably just helping his mates?

Anderson connectors are great on compressors though, saves from having to lift the bonnet to connect them up (assuming you have an external connector somewhere on your car) and air up which mean saved time and no well meaning onlookers thinking your car is broken.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Probably just helping his mates?

Anderson connectors are great on compressors though, saves from having to lift the bonnet to connect them up (assuming you have an external connector somewhere on your car) and air up which mean saved time and no well meaning onlookers thinking your car is broken.
    Ah I see. Thanks for that. It just went over my head why you would need/want the connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Probationarily unbanned
    Yeah, SB50 Anderson connectors are so they don't need to pop the bonnet to run their compressors to air up. A couple of them will get power from 175a Anderson jump points they've already got on the outside of their cars (hence the adapter shown), some have SB50 connectors inside the car.
    Last edited by hotgemini; 17-03-18 at 05:57 AM.

if you have room do an on-board air setup with an old A/C compressor they are a bit of farting around but performance wise unbeatable, otherwise I got Summit to price match a pair of viair compressors that will do 200psi and a couple of 3ltr tanks to hide under my 100 series (no room for big tanks under the v8)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel