Thread: Roll cage removable joint - front legs.

Roll cage removable joint - front legs.

I have to take the front legs of my (welded in) roll cage out for street rego reasons. I would like to use a removable joint that ideally didn't stick forward of the main hoop. I have memory of seeing such a joint with a female taper on the main hoop side and a matching male taper on the front leg side, it also had a large bolt on the back of the main hoop that threaded into the male taper on the front leg side of the joint to clamp the two together. Does anybody know if such a thing is available? or did I just dream this up? I can't find anybody who advertises such a joint.

Alternatively is there any other suitable options that don't protrude (much) past the main hoop? I would also likely use the same joint solution for the intrusion bars.

This is for a nsw rego car that also needs to be able to pass ihra tech.

Like this ? Taken from CAMS schedule J handbook for safety cages, I would imagine would be good for ihra as well. You could probably moved it backwards a few mm so it doesn't protrude at all.

Don't know where you'd buy them, I was going to turn some up when I was designing the cage in my 1600. Ended up welding it all up instead.....

Name:  cage222222.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  16.3 KB
    Last edited by dave1600; 04-02-18 at 03:53 PM.

Yep thats it! cams book must have been where I saw it. I have a lathe, but not sure if I can drive it well enough to make my own.....

How do you get around the NCOP statement of LK8 not covering
     Installation of four-point roll-cages, which convert to six-point roll-cages for off-road use;
    and

Genuine question

I had no idea that was the case. I will have to check with the engineer, if that is the case then the front legs will have to go for good.

Let me know how you go because Iíd love to have that option too. Seems like a dumb rule that I can only assume is in place to stop people having skull spikes hanging out on the street. But that canít be it because the rest of the cage requires good design practice anyway.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    How do you get around the NCOP statement of LK8 not covering
     Installation of four-point roll-cages, which convert to six-point roll-cages for off-road use;
    and

Genuine question
    I'd make the front section of the cage incorporate an intrusion bar which also bolts to the floor. They don't say anything about 8 point cages
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Let me know how you go because Iíd love to have that option too. Seems like a dumb rule that I can only assume is in place to stop people having skull spikes hanging out on the street. But that canít be it because the rest of the cage requires good design practice anyway.
    Its about not having a significantly stiff object that has zero compliance crashing in to me, or your mother, or a bus full of droolers. Cages are incredibly unsafe for everyone else outside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

You really think thatís the reason they wonít let you put A-pillar bars in at the race track? Itís still a 4 point in the street either way- one just has mounts for front legs. I canít see it making any difference to other road users

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Its about not having a significantly stiff object that has zero compliance crashing in to me, or your mother, or a bus full of droolers. Cages are incredibly unsafe for everyone else outside them.
    Any chance of a link or reference to this?
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

ANDRA & IHRA regs are the same, so pretty much all that are approved are the Billet Race Craft units or the Pro 9 ones

http://andra.com.au/images/stories/A...s_01022017.pdf

Homologated Joints
    The following is a list of homologated removable roll cage joints:
    1. Pro9-R1000KIT Ė Etched with ANDRA RRJ001
    2. Brad Stacy 1 5/8Ē Joint (non-etched) not for retail
    3. Billet Race Craft 1 5/8Ē Joint ANDRA RRJ002 etched and non-etched

cunt
    So under ncop you can't have a 4 point welded in with an option to bolt in the 6 point bit for track work? The front hoop if removable shout have no traces of it left is using the pro9 joints
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...