Thread: PAR gearsets

PAR gearsets

did a quick search, most threads seem to be from a fair while ago.

bought my gearset from haysam around 5 months ago i think, was told 12 weeks. have paid for 50% upfront as he asked.. seems like im getting the run around now. each week its this or that.. starting to get annoyed.

anyone have similar experiences? have i shot myself in the foot using him?

common story unfortunately

Banned
    Link to haysam for reference?

Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    Link to haysam for reference?
    he owns precision automation and robotics - PAR..

Quote Originally Posted by dougmo View Post
    common story unfortunately
    are you saying its par for the course???
    /csh Racing

Yeah.
    bought a sh par gearbox but rebuilt by the previous owner before sale with many new gears, second gear being one of these new gears.
    first time on the track select second leaving the pit exit no drive.
    pull gearbox down and the dog gear hadn't been bonded to the drive gear.
    I contact par, not my issue he says.
    have recepts, send photos show its brand new, show it was never welded from their factory.
    All it needs is going back to them and electro welding or friction welding (whatever they do)
    Nup. wont do that. not interested. have to buy a new gear or nothing at all.
    I should have known as I had trouble with them previously.
    People said they had changed. They have not.
    Never again. I warn everyone to stay away.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Sounds like the service is sub par.

well fuck.

I had good dealings with PAR when Gerard was there (circa late 2000s/early 2010s) but since he left it's a one man band and well, others in this thread can vouch for how that's going.

As for the quality, I've never been overly impressed for the money. I've replaced about 4 dog gears due to wear. While I don't claim to be the best dog driver I didn't think I mashed that many changes. Also broke a single tooth each off 1st and 4th gears, as well as a blown pinion and I think a broken tooth on another crownwheel that I'm still driving on. The synchro set seems to be holding up well. All this in a Pulsar.

However I will vouch for the custom clutches they used to make for the Pulsars. Fuck mine has seen some abuse and high loads and they've never slipped. Flywheels have been ok as well.

My 2c.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fapmeister View Post
    I had good dealings with PAR when Gerard was there (circa late 2000s/early 2010s) but since he left it's a one man band and well, others in this thread can vouch for how that's going.

As for the quality, I've never been overly impressed for the money. I've replaced about 4 dog gears due to wear. While I don't claim to be the best dog driver I didn't think I mashed that many changes. Also broke a single tooth each off 1st and 4th gears, as well as a blown pinion and I think a broken tooth on another crownwheel that I'm still driving on. The synchro set seems to be holding up well. All this in a Pulsar.

However I will vouch for the custom clutches they used to make for the Pulsars. Fuck mine has seen some abuse and high loads and they've never slipped. Flywheels have been ok as well.

My 2c.
    Well dogs are consumable so that's to be expected with wear, i guess it just depends how quickly the wear occurred as to whether its acceptable or not.

I've opted for the synchro set in mine.

Is your pulsar fwd or awd?

Yes that's true. To me they seemed to wear prematurely.

Pulsar is FWD, pushing about 380hp at the fronts.

sounds like PAR are no longer top dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by Fapmeister View Post
    Yes that's true. To me they seemed to wear prematurely.

Pulsar is FWD, pushing about 380hp at the fronts.
    yeah, that's a little worrying. i will be making double that power through an awd setup.

engine power has no bearing on dog wear. that's down to shift quality

i'd be concerned about the broken gear teeth though

Oo___oO

First gear broke at the drags with a shit ton of axle tramp (broke a CV at the same time). Fourth gear I'm pretty sure dropped a tooth during a street sprints weekend, so I'm a little bit puzzled by that one. The gearset was a few years old at that point.

There is only so much you can do with some gearboxes though, the best steels and gear profiles are only going to get you so far.
    Pulsar transmissions (GTiR in particular) were known handgrenades with stock power behind a SR20DET lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    There is only so much you can do with some gearboxes though, the best steels and gear profiles are only going to get you so far.
    Pulsar transmissions (GTiR in particular) were known handgrenades with stock power behind a SR20DET lol
    Oddly enough, I think PAR were the first to offer a GTi-R gearset. I seem to recall Ivan Tomic (I wonder what happened to him..) being their first customer in his black car.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Don't the early FWD/AWD Mazda 323 transmissions suffer from case flex? Wonder if that's the issue with the Pulsar transmission. Similar to the T5 not having enough(any) support on the end of the shaft allowing it to move.

Yeah the Mazda cases supposedly allow flex such that the gears come out of close mesh and strip. Worst on the 3rd gear pairing. Mods that resolve this include gearset changes (ironically PAR), welding a bunch of stuff to the case, using some hybrid of other gearbox parts, using a Camry gearbag, using a Lancer gearbag.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Yep similar theory with the Pulsar boxes, in particular the FWD box (rs5f32). Third gear with a little bit of boost is generally a recipe for munching. Theory is that the shafts separate under load (which are only supported at each end) and the gears (mostly 3rd) aren't meshing properly. A stronger gearset like PAR just moves the issue to a higher power band but doesn't really solve the problem. Seems that Nissan recognised this problem with the p11/n16 boxes (rs5f70) as they have a spring loaded bearing support on one of the shafts. I've got one of these boxes to go in mine when I get around to it.

I've seen kits for the Gtir box (rs5f50?) that consist of an end plate and long bolts that bolt onto the external casing to add strength to the box.

I got a full gearset built for a W58 box from Haysam. He promised it in 6-9 weeks - it ended up taking just short of 12 months to get it. He didn't ask for any money until it was built though. In the end, I think he built it in a day or two as it seemed very rushed. Can't say much about the quality of the build as I haven't done many kms on it. He seems like a nice guy, but timelines are not his thing. I'd look elsewhere if I needed another one.

Never had a problem with my 2 PAR sets in the Familia after doing bearing mod in the end housing.

Had a 2nd and 3rd upgrade, as well as a full synchro set.

What the PAR did do, was move the gear blowing to the crown wheel and pinion in the right angle drive. New weakest area.

Only way I destroyed the PAR set was to have a bearing fail which allowed most of the gear shafts to walk at about 6000 rpm.

2nd and 3rd gearbox I had as spare is still going strong in the car today.

Am awaiting the story on a number C60 gearsets he is doing for a lotus shop.
    Would love one for the new vehicle and queries have been made..
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

well we shall see. its been closer to 6 months now.. he says that its complete and ready to ship.

im in two minds about even running with all the horror stories. i'd be able to recoup all my coin selling to someone overseas as its brand new and theres no wait time so not sure what to do.

I bought PAR selector forks etc for previous car, took fucking forever to arrive, was decent gear but slow to get