Thread: Will standard 4l60e fit Adventra?

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar

Will standard 4l60e fit Adventra?

My Auto LS1 adventras gearbox has shat and can't find much info online as to whether it runs a regular box or one modified to use a non GM transfer case.

Is it just a matter of removing extention case from housing and bolting up the transfer case or do they run a different output shaft?
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Contact Ij on Commodoresplus forum..dude has awd vr lexcen & done a few conversions & auto rebuilds
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Iíll see if I can dig Ianís number off my old phone or happy to pm you his Facebook profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quick google says the output shaft is different between 2wd and 4wd/AWD versions, doesn't say exactly what other than you need to strip the box and swap them over. The next wrinkle is if the AWD version is actually the same as the 4wd ones, I'd assume it will be because GM doesn't usually waste money if they don't have too. If so then you can probably find one at a yank truck importer, 2000 on model GM full size run LS based engines.

Just did four of these rebuilds this month-learned that I hate 4L60e's.

If you have a 4WD 4L60E, the output shaft is very short, and there is a six bolt hex pattern on the end of the main case that your transfer case adapter will bolt to. There's an O-ring seal between the main case and the adapter, and the adapter is where the transmission mount is located-not the main case.

If you have the oil pan that is scalloped for drive shaft clearance on the right hand side of the pan, it has a different valve body and 2nd gear accumulator housing, and an adapter plate that bolts on under the accumulator housing to move it towards the middle of the case.

There are four different input shafts and two different pump stators, 27 spline no pilot, 30 spline no pilot, 27 spline with pilot, and 30 spline with pilot. There is a long and a short pump stator.

So, in your case:

You've got an LS1, so it'll be a 30 spline, long stator, input. Depending on what year split, you'll either have a 30 spline no pilot, or a 30 spline piloted. The extension housing on your gearbox will be needed to bolt up to your transfer case. Need a bit more info to keep going here.

Year/pan has clearance for front driveshaft/what T-case. From there, the list of possible gearbox donors can be generated.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Why not get yours rebuilt?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    Cheers for that guys, Sorry for late reply.

Bigshipengine
    Just wanted to find out before I go ahead and have it rebuilt. Inner Jew wanted to buy a cheap box off eBay if possible
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Go see Scotty @ sure shift geebung
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Glide

/italics
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.

Always looking for Triumph 2000 and 2500 parts and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
    Cheers for that guys, Sorry for late reply.

Bigshipengine
    Just wanted to find out before I go ahead and have it rebuilt. Inner Jew wanted to buy a cheap box off eBay if possible
    Problem with buying a cheapy of ebay is it's a gamble on when it'll die. When I had my VS the auto bloke I was talking to reckoned that off the shelf reco boxes are also a gamble, he only did proper full rebuilds. The issue then is how much do you want to spend on fixing it? Do it properly by spending abit of money because you're going to keep it, or do it cheaply to get it mobile and flog the car off? I flogged the VS off.

Rebuilt and repaired are completely different things but plenty of people repair shit and call it rebuilt.

Plenty of places put a few parts in a core, paint it silver, call it a reco box and take a gamble with the warranty.

Last two "core" 4l60e's I bought for 100$ each were like that-someone had put brand new clutches in all four gears, then ignored the front sprag assembly. Front sprag blew up because it was overlooked and needed to be replaced, killed the overrun clutches, and the rest of the internals were perfect. Just sheared six little tabs off the sprag assembly.

New forward sprags, new overrun clutches, and back togther. I went through the whole box but you could see on the steels that the clutches had never even been engaged after the rebuild, the front sprag blew immediately and that was that.