Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Move over GTR, Supra coming up in price

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    New Supra will be vastly superior in every way except it wont have a huge truck turbo on it making 600rwhp, so JZA80 owner's smug sense of superiority will remain intact

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Will do faster than 12s pass though....

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    New Supra is to become a reality:

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...trackLink=SMH2

Might be where the love ends up going.
    Deposit time
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    New Supra will be vastly superior in every way except it wont have a huge truck turbo on it making 600rwhp with a power band of 1500rpm, so JZA80 owner's smug sense of superiority will remain intact
    That's like having a shovel that does everything better besides digging holes isn't it?
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 14-02-18 at 10:43 PM.

I should add “with a power band of 1500rpm”

I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I should add “with a power band of 1500rpm”
    quote fixed
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 14-02-18 at 10:43 PM.

New Supra will be vastly superior in every way except it wont have a huge truck turbo on it making 600rwhp, so JZA80 owner's smug sense of superiority will remain intact
    I think the market has shifted and it will be hard to compete with something that has such a great reputation. It also has to have modern safety standards so will probably weigh more which is a disadvantage.

If they give it 500+hp they will have to price it over 100k, so it goes with the GTR price bracket and is unaffordable for the masses. If they make it around 400hp they can make it affordable but then it is slower than a mildly tuned Mk4. With todays turbo tech, you can put a GTX3076R on a 3L, have 5-600hp without an issue and minimal lag. Then again with the way Mk4 prices are, if they go the cheaper route it might not be that much difference in price.

I really hope I am proven wrong. But when you could take a car that used to be fairly cheap, chuck another 10k worth of mods at it and have a reliable 500hp all day long its going to take a lot to top that.
    this signature intentionally left blank

Wonder if it will get the 3.5 v6 from the LS500?

For both high power and excellent fuel efficiency, Lexus designed an all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine specifically for the new LS with all-new twin turbos developed through the company's F1 technology. This new engine in the LS is indicative of the more dynamic approach being taken by Lexus, offering V8-level power without sacrificing fuel economy-all while minimizing noise and vibration. The new LS engine offers the output one would expect in a flagship sedan: 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque, sizeable gains over the current LS model's V8. The long stroke and optimized stroke-to-bore ratio contribute to high-speed combustion and the efficiency of the twin turbos, which assist the LS with a projected 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (RWD).

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post

I think a lot of single-model forums devolve like this but the Supra crowd are the worst I've come across.
    Nah. AE86 forums are the worst. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    I think the market has shifted and it will be hard to compete with something that has such a great reputation. It also has to have modern safety standards so will probably weigh more which is a disadvantage.

If they give it 500+hp they will have to price it over 100k, so it goes with the GTR price bracket and is unaffordable for the masses. If they make it around 400hp they can make it affordable but then it is slower than a mildly tuned Mk4. With todays turbo tech, you can put a GTX3076R on a 3L, have 5-600hp without an issue and minimal lag. Then again with the way Mk4 prices are, if they go the cheaper route it might not be that much difference in price.

I really hope I am proven wrong. But when you could take a car that used to be fairly cheap, chuck another 10k worth of mods at it and have a reliable 500hp all day long its going to take a lot to top that.
    The RZ Supra was never a cheap car to buy new anyway. Toyota have two choices, make the new one superior in performance and price accordingly and affordability be damned (ie, go the R35 route) or completely ignore comparisons with the old car, lower performance and price with the knowledge that approximately 0.1% of buyers would be cross shopping (or care) about a 20+ yo. car anyway.

86/BRZ is the lesson to be learned here - price it well and it will sell like hot cakes, regardless of how much the internet writes it off as underpowered.

It really depends on whether Toyota want this to be an aspirational halo model or just a profitable sports car a few rungs up from the 86.
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 15-02-18 at 08:30 AM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

You would assume the later;
    Twin turbo, 6 speed, big brake JZA80's were $80k equivalent back in the day yeah?

86/BRZ is the lesson to be learned here - price it well and it will sell like hot cakes, regardless of how much the internet writes it off as underpowered.
    Yep. Toyota gives no fucks for the JZA80 internet fanboys, 99.9% of whom would never have bought the car new even if they'd been born before 1993. Competition for the new Supra will be current model sports/GT cars in the same price bracket, not some old car that went out of production 17 years ago.
    Norbie!

The RZ Supra was never a cheap car to buy new anyway. Toyota have two choices, make the new one superior in performance and price accordingly and affordability be damned (ie, go the R35 route) or completely ignore comparisons with the old car, lower performance and price with the knowledge that approximately 0.1% of buyers would be cross shopping (or care) about a 20+ yo. car anyway.

It really depends on whether Toyota want this to be an aspirational halo model or just a profitable sports car a few rungs up from the 86.
    Agree 100%, the problem that they face is that they are not just judged against a 25 year old car. They are judged against a 25 year old car plus all the reputation, hype, myth, aftermarket, fast and furious and everything else about it.

The whole BMW thing may have already decided from the get go how it was going to be produced/marketed.
    this signature intentionally left blank

I love Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    Wonder if it will get the 3.5 v6 from the LS500?

For both high power and excellent fuel efficiency, Lexus designed an all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine specifically for the new LS with all-new twin turbos developed through the company's F1 technology. This new engine in the LS is indicative of the more dynamic approach being taken by Lexus, offering V8-level power without sacrificing fuel economy-all while minimizing noise and vibration. The new LS engine offers the output one would expect in a flagship sedan: 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque, sizeable gains over the current LS model's V8. The long stroke and optimized stroke-to-bore ratio contribute to high-speed combustion and the efficiency of the twin turbos, which assist the LS with a projected 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (RWD).

Interesting if the were to use this engine (BMW ties aside) they would do what theyve done with all shared Lexus engines put in performance models and get Yamaha to tickle it for more power trading off a bit of torque, on that basis it would be lineball with the power and torque the R35 put out on its release...
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 15-02-18 at 10:36 AM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    I love Supra
    Is this a new thing? Wouldn't have picked you as the Supra type mate
    Good one dickhead

Pfft only 99k.. theyre still behind the real deal overpriced japanese shitbox kings

In before released in auto only, with 350hp, and 1950kg. It’ll be the 300zx of 2019 at the equivalent pricing of an NSX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

It's not particularly hard to work out what the new Supra will be.

Considering it's sharing a platform with the Z4 it's surely just going to use one of the BMW 3L straight sixes.

So anywhere between 350-500hp, probably high 300s will be on the cards. 8 speed auto only is my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    It's not particularly hard to work out what the new Supra will be.

Considering it's sharing a platform with the Z4 it's surely just going to use one of the BMW 3L straight sixes.

So anywhere between 350-500hp, probably high 300s will be on the cards. 8 speed auto only is my bet.
    nuh uhh, its going to all things to all men with a zillion lama thrusts.

And in orange only with aero top 4pawl

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

No way.

New supra will be a mental, Fire breathing monster that only men can drive. Alot like the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

So few comments here..

BMW sourced engine and auto gearbox.
    250kw. 1496kg. Carbon fibre based chassis shared with z8.

https://www.motoring.com.au/2019-toy...etails-111131/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DSMAZDAGTR View Post
    So few comments here..

Maybe they should sell it without the engine so you can just do what needs to be done and LS1 it.

Bmw uses the zf 8 speed on their turbo 6s so it would be natural to assume it's the same if they use said bmw 6 pot

I’d be surprised if those stats are real...250kw is pretty underpowered by today’s standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DSMAZDAGTR View Post
    So few comments here..

Japanese mags have been making articles about "the new Supra" since the last one stopped production, and all of them have been proven wrong. But hey, it sells paper.

250kw, 1500kg and 3.8sec? Yeah nah.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

So slightly heavier than a 140i, less torque and 0.8 seconds faster to 100?

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    I love Supra
    I was all ready to hate on Supras being stupidly overpriced and driven by wanker fanboys but then I saw a mint black one roll past at an intersection yesterday and thought awww man they still have it.

Price of them these days is more a reflection of the disposable incomes of potential owners than an indicator of the cars capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Price of them these days is more a reflection of the disposable incomes of potential owners than an indicator of the cars capabilities.
    Thats like every nolstalgic or "previous generation" performance car though