Thread: SS exhaust - suppliers, x pipes and mufflers

SS exhaust - suppliers, x pipes and mufflers

So rather that pollute blstc's headers thread I figured I would start a new one.

I'll soon be starting on an exhaust for my L77 BMW Project and while I have made mild steel mandrel exhaust before this will be my first foray in to Stainless.

I'll be running HSV headers and cats as it needs to be engineered. Planning on backing that up with a twin 2.5inch system.

Is it worth making an Xpipe or just buying off the shelf?

Any recommendations on mufflers? I am thinking dual in dual out to save on some space but I need it to be reasonably quiet till it's engineered.

Tempted to use V bands for the joins too, the original exhaust was one piece from the headers back so I am hoping I can get away with a pair of V bands near the diff to make it a bit more manageable.

Also any recommendations on suppliers for the bits?

Cheers
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

It's pretty easy to make an X-pipe - 2 90's with a big chunk sliced off the side. It is however a pain to mig the deepest part of the v putting them together though.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I would have thought that by the time you bought some SS 90's, cut them, weld them and re-weld them because you fucked it the first time, an off-the-shelf stamped X-Pipe for $120 or so would be a cheaper option for the DIYer...?

Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 08-02-18 at 10:22 AM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

The only thing with v bands if the exhaust isnít hung correctly it can twist on the v band. Also if you do buy them, make sure you get the ones that are male and female so they seat nicer and also have a recess for the tube to sit it to butt weld.

I built my stainless exhaust using 304 grade, used solid hangers but had to modify them and replace the mild steel rod with stainless and am using a flex joint. Much prefer it this way over using no flex joint and factory hangers as it doesnít move at all.

I bought my stainless tube and bends from who my work uses for stainless, cost around $30 a metre for 3inch and $30 a 90 degree bend (tighter radius to exhaust bends). Bought my mufflers off eBay, because the same muffler in the exhaust shop was 50% dearer. Also from my experience in the past Iíve found some stainless bends Iíve bought from an exhaust shop didnít weld as nice as the stuff I got from my supplier, some food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I would have thought that by the time you bought some SS 90's, cut them, weld them and re-weld them because you fucked it the first time, an off-the-shelf stamped X-Pipe for $120 or so would be a cheaper option for the DIYer...?

Building your own lets you set the on/out spacing to where you want it though. The off the shelf ones work for some installs, for others, they require a bunch more bends to put the pipe in the right spot.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Stirling Stainless is good for stuff, although looking at their online prices it seems they've increased a little. In QLD I've also used Midway Metals where it was around $24 for a 3" 1.6mm wall 90deg mandrel bend in 304 grade. I like magnaflow mufflers myself but they're a bit more expensive than the usual gear. I wouldn't mind trying some of the mufflers from Adrenalin R in NZ also http://adrenalinr.com/products.php?pCategory=mufflers

I don't bother with the male/female v-bands, I just use normal v-bands and recess the tube ~4-5mm into one flange and have the other with the tube sitting proud by the same amount. Makes things a bit easier when installing too as they locate nicely
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 09-02-18 at 03:40 PM.

This site seemed to have the best range of the ones i found last time i did some googling.

https://www.ecsengines.com.au

Current plan is HSV Cats -> Magnaflow #12568 (22inch long dual in dual out 2.5) -> V Bands -> Magnaflow #12468 (18inch long dual in dual out 2.5) -> tailpipe

From what I can tell on the Magnaflow website these mufflers have an internal xpipe so that should simplify things a bit. Just hoping it will be quiet enough.

Next step now that my shed is almost back together is to make up some cardboard mufflers and make sure they will fit under the car before ordering a bunch of stainless.
    Then I'll have a play with my new tig to get it dialed in then start gluing pipes together.
    Last edited by turbo510; 09-02-18 at 06:39 PM.

Also this place looks to be pretty competitively priced for small quantities of SS304

https://www.performanceexhaust.com.au/

Go seek a stainless supplier, that place wants $56 a metre for 3 inch ss304. I paid $30 a metre from Atlas stainless steel here on the Gold Coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make some calls and post up my results

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll make some calls and post up my results
    That pricing was a cash sale also, so I couldíve even got it much cheaper through work. Just save yourself a fair bit of money and cut the middle man out.

Try http://www.geordi.com.au/ in Cheltenham, cheaper for cash too.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ345 View Post
    Try http://www.geordi.com.au/ in Cheltenham, cheaper for cash too.
    POA makes baby jesus cry. Alright if you can rock up with cash i guess.

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    I ended up using chinee bends from Roadstar Autoparts on fleabay. Can't remember how much they were but they were spastic cheap and they did those stamped x-pipes for like $100 too. Provided you cleaned them out properly they weld just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet