Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Stupid fab` question

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    morwell vic
    Posts
    273

    Stupid fab` question

    Not an awesome fabrication thing but one for you blokes who can do sums.

    7x5 trailer needs a new floor. That size aint a generic sheet steel fit.
    Just buy 2 sheets @ 2400x1200ish and line up side by side, disregarding the waste?
    Put 1 sideways and trim then same with the next?
    Is it possible to find an out of dimension sheet to fit just over 2100x1500 give or take a few mm?

    2 skinny (3mm) sheets aint cost more than $150 all up. Am I just overthinking it?
    Would prefer 2 side by side but matters fuckall if I can have less waste as no idea what to do with the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

  2. #2
    Registered User bang chong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by jaikai View Post
    Not an awesome fabrication thing but one for you blokes who can do sums.

    7x5 trailer needs a new floor. That size aint a generic sheet steel fit.
    Just buy 2 sheets @ 2400x1200ish and line up side by side, disregarding the waste?
    Put 1 sideways and trim then same with the next?
    Is it possible to find an out of dimension sheet to fit just over 2100x1500 give or take a few mm?

    2 skinny (3mm) sheets aint cost more than $150 all up. Am I just overthinking it?
    Would prefer 2 side by side but matters fuckall if I can have less waste as no idea what to do with the rest.
    Can buy 3000x1500 sheets

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Yeah standard mill sheet is cut 4x8 ft or 5x10ft or 6x12ft here, but you pay a little bit of a premium to get 5ft wide sheet in. I've never ordered 6ft sheet and don't wanna try to move it either.

    ring up your sheet supplier and ask them, but then realize you'll have to move it.

  4. #4
    BLING BLING PLAYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    6,021
    I would be ringing a place that process as well and get them to cut it as well.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    I would be ringing a place that process as well and get them to cut it as well.
    This.

    I welded a new floor in my 6x4 box trailer a couple of years ago. Saved myself a lot of agro by getting the cutting and folding done by the shop, plus they did a neater job than I would have. Did it in gal too, so it should last a bit longer this time.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    morwell vic
    Posts
    273
    Thanks gents.
    Found an 8x5 sheet in checkerplate for just on $125, fucken` perfect beside the offcut which will go towards something.
    Will be blowing at least 2 coats of hammertone over everything once welded in and some sorta chassis paint for underside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Nice! an 8x5 sheet local to me is 340$...you got a good deal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •