Thread: Stupid fab` question

Stupid fab` question

Not an awesome fabrication thing but one for you blokes who can do sums.

7x5 trailer needs a new floor. That size aint a generic sheet steel fit.
    Just buy 2 sheets @ 2400x1200ish and line up side by side, disregarding the waste?
    Put 1 sideways and trim then same with the next?
    Is it possible to find an out of dimension sheet to fit just over 2100x1500 give or take a few mm?

2 skinny (3mm) sheets aint cost more than $150 all up. Am I just overthinking it?
    Would prefer 2 side by side but matters fuckall if I can have less waste as no idea what to do with the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Quote Originally Posted by jaikai View Post
    Not an awesome fabrication thing but one for you blokes who can do sums.

7x5 trailer needs a new floor. That size aint a generic sheet steel fit.
    Just buy 2 sheets @ 2400x1200ish and line up side by side, disregarding the waste?
    Put 1 sideways and trim then same with the next?
    Is it possible to find an out of dimension sheet to fit just over 2100x1500 give or take a few mm?

2 skinny (3mm) sheets aint cost more than $150 all up. Am I just overthinking it?
    Would prefer 2 side by side but matters fuckall if I can have less waste as no idea what to do with the rest.
    Can buy 3000x1500 sheets

Yeah standard mill sheet is cut 4x8 ft or 5x10ft or 6x12ft here, but you pay a little bit of a premium to get 5ft wide sheet in. I've never ordered 6ft sheet and don't wanna try to move it either.

ring up your sheet supplier and ask them, but then realize you'll have to move it.

I would be ringing a place that process as well and get them to cut it as well.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    I would be ringing a place that process as well and get them to cut it as well.
    This.

I welded a new floor in my 6x4 box trailer a couple of years ago. Saved myself a lot of agro by getting the cutting and folding done by the shop, plus they did a neater job than I would have. Did it in gal too, so it should last a bit longer this time.

Thanks gents.
    Found an 8x5 sheet in checkerplate for just on $125, fucken` perfect beside the offcut which will go towards something.
    Will be blowing at least 2 coats of hammertone over everything once welded in and some sorta chassis paint for underside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Nice! an 8x5 sheet local to me is 340$...you got a good deal.