Thread: LED to indicate fuel pump pulse

LED to indicate fuel pump pulse

This is a bit of an odd one I know. I have a small engine that is fed via a plunger style electric fuel pump, like one of those small Facets. Is there a relatively simple way to set up an LED or indicator lamp to flash on (or off) with each pulse of the pump? It's a sealed unit so I can't just connect it across the internal switch.

I wonder if the voltage off the negative side of the pump would be oscillating enough (from the plunger coil being switched on and off) that you could use a small amp circuit to boost that oscillation signal and run your LED.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 01-04-18 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Missed a word, because tard.

It's probably pretty cheap and simple to do by several methods, (voltage drop across a series resistor, or even simply induced current through a coil of wire around the supply cable) but it'll probably just take a bit of math and some trial and error. What is the resistance of the coil?
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?