Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there interest in moo engines for boost?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Fuck the building moo stuff diesel performance and 4wd modifications etc is where I reckon its at especially if you can work on caravans camper-trailers and the like.
    I had to turn away my mate and send him to another shop to get his ranger tuned as I donít have the gear. Iím still paying off my scan tool.

Also I need to learn how to tune and have a dyno.
    Last edited by S; 14-02-18 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    Air compressor, signage, oil separator, re wiring some stuff, lights, coating the floor, painting the walls and the list goes on.
    And you did that on a wing and a prayer ?

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Air compressor, signage, oil separator, re wiring some stuff, lights, coating the floor, painting the walls and the list goes on.
    Just in case you have a time machine how much of that shit was required to operate?

You got your refrigerant license?

Also I need to learn how to tune and have a dyno.
    You really, really don't. You need to work out how to make money with what you have, not WTAM on skills and equipment. IMHO.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 14-02-18 at 09:10 PM.

Maybe go on a few commodore forums, pcm hacking etc, they seem keen on their moos, and pose this question to a more appropriate demographic. They may get wet over the concept of a bullet proof moo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Just in case you have a time machine how much of that shit was required to operate?

I couldíve spent less and some things were a fuck around due to people. Iím not paying interest as my parents lent me the coin but I by no means bought more than I need I still only have a stick welder a buzz box at that. I did go into debt on a snap-on scan tool but I need that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post

You really, really don't. You need to work out how to make money with what you have, not WTAM on skills and equipment. IMHO.
    No I meant to do that work I need one not I need one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    And you did that on a wing and a prayer ?
    Read above.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Maybe go on a few commodore forums, pcm hacking etc, they seem keen on their moos, and pose this question to a more appropriate demographic. They may get wet over the concept of a bullet proof moo
    Yea I was going to just thought I would see if any here had mates in those scenes.

Also everyone sorry for the non multi quotes Iím on my phone.

the use of SD in this thread is taking the piss, remove it

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    I feel he should of got another 72 hour to week ban for using the SD tag for this thread. On the other hand it doesn't seem to slow him up, we just get breathers from his attention seeking or the other lowbreeds attack him n we feel bad and side with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I couldíve spent less and some things were a fuck around due to people. Iím not paying interest as my parents lent me the coin but I by no means bought more than I need I still only have a stick welder a buzz box at that. I did go into debt on a snap-on scan tool but I need that.
    you needed a snap on one? plenty of cheap scantools out there. and you would get more use out of a MIG welder than painted floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
    I feel he should of got another 72 hour to week ban for using the SD tag for this thread. On the other hand it doesn't seem to slow him up, we just get breathers from his attention seeking or the other lowbreeds attack him n we feel bad and side with him.
    people just of to learn to put him on ignore, though I of to agree partly on the use have the SD tag, perhaps instead have saying "Is there interest in moo engines for boost" it should of said "will I make any money selling expensive bits for cheap engines to people who of no money and/or want to be different"

sorry panda, i had to.

If you did decide to build forged moo motors then you should be asking for sizeable non-refundable deposit up front (cash, not fish tanks full of lizards) otherwise you risk being stuck with a built motor that may take months or even years to sell after the customer changes their mind. Not trying to tell you how to run your business, just some advice.

Banned
    Yea I get it the idea was pretty shit. As for my business I have realised it is pretty shit running a business well at the start anyway but I won't give up.

As to reply to panda if you call me starting a thread attention seeking does that not make most of us on this site the same?

I still stand by my post a few weeks ago. Tie your laces and go door knocking small businesses, get a good spiel and offer something for free or heavily discounted to get the foot in the door that isnt going to break your cash flow budget. Save your advertising money for a later date. Find a tire shop to get in bed with to make some work, freelance to other shops, just do something other than nothing. Bread and butter work before performance engines.

Start out by knowing your finances, know what you need to pay the bills and work your rates from there. No harm in undercutting when its a one man band. For what its worth my mate went two years on his own before making money, as in paying all bills/accounts and more than the basic living costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Letter drops don't work (ask me how I know ), social media advertising does.

Get a friend to get on pages like RiotACT and FB "asking for recommendations" for a mechanic that can do a service or repair asap, get another friend to respond recommending your workshop.

Know of anyone in the public service? Get them to advertise on there Extranet.

Social media advertising is where it's at!

If you really want to get into the performance game you are going to need to prove your engine can hold together, either with racing or dyno comps, but I'm pretty sure C.O.M.E Racing tried this with there stroker kits and didn't have much success when he came to selling them.
    You really need to prove you know what your doing, by showing people but just telling them.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Everything Don and Chris just said^.

Next time you have "nothing" to do, go for a walk and scope out the local businesses. They're your future customers. Figure out what you can offer them with what you already have.

Have you got an elevator pitch figured out? This is really important or you'll lose peoples' interest and business at the first impression. Keep it short. https://tim.blog/2008/05/03/prepping...-pitch-videos/

Serious question; If I sent you a (boring) marketing book, would you read it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Banned
    Everything Don and Chris just said^.

Next time you have "nothing" to do, go for a walk and scope out the local businesses. They're your future customers. Figure out what you can offer them with what you already have.

Have you got an elevator pitch figured out? This is really important or you'll lose peoples' interest and business at the first impression. Keep it short. https://tim.blog/2008/05/03/prepping...-pitch-videos/

Serious question; If I sent you a (boring) marketing book, would you read it?
    I don't like reading long paragraphs as the words just start blurring after too long of reading I can read but it annoys me after a few pages.

Does it annoy you more than your landlord asking for rent?
    I agree with Rdyno

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Does it annoy you more than your landlord asking for rent?
    I get your point but I was being honest I'm not going to say "yea I would love to read that" then read half. I would love to be able to read like some people can if I could I would probably be in a much better job.

Banned
    I would like to thank you guys for helping it's great to get help thanks guys.

I would also like to say business is starting to increase not enough but it is a little step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    If that demographic had money they wouldn't be in that demographic anymore.

I don't like reading long paragraphs as the words just start blurring after too long of reading I can read but it annoys me after a few pages.
    Audio books then...

Seriously listen to all sorts of stuff and i think it seems to sink in better as an audio book.
    I started with fiction and the like and now getting into the investment side of things.

I do a lot of driving for my job and it saves me from fucking around with my phone whilst driving i know not really applicable to yourself but like you have said in other posts your very quiet with work so instead of checking out socials and forums etc it could be a good time to look into different ways to be making some cash and an investment into some investing could very much help.

Latest stuff im listening is stock market stuff as i would like to be able to make more money during the day then i make going to my normal job in a month...

I'm not far out from being in the same boat, I've done hot rod work on the side for years and only recently have tried to get it going as a business. I do several performance engines and performance work, and I try to avoid general day-to-day maintenance like the plague-there is zero money in oil changes and brake jobs here. All the national chains offering 15$/wheel brake jobs and 15$ oil changes-you can't buy the oil for that much unless you're going through thousands of quarts a month.

It pays to specialize, but you need to be *good* at it first. I'm more and more getting into custom axles and automatic transmission rebuilds, trying to push into the performance driveline market...we'll see how I do, but I've learned that there are some jobs I can only do as an "add-on" service.

So, I don't just change oil, but If I'm called out for a mechanic's inspection I'll have "oil inspection/change oil" as a checkmark item for 25$ additional, etc. I'm actually loosing money on the oil change at that price, but I'm making it back in the inspection fee, which is what they really wanted to start with. So, I don't loose money if they don't buy it, but if they do buy it then they're much more likely to tack on a whole list of add-ons...some of which I make a little on.

If business is starting to pick up more and more, you're doing the right thing-just keep at it. Keep your overhead low-turn the lights off in all but the office and keep the doors open for sunlight as much as you can, keep the shop heat low but not freezing, air compressors on demand switches, etc.

I was told to not expect any real "profit" for the first three to five years-and that's been pretty spot on so far. I make barely enough to get by, but this last year I made 4% more than last year-and hopefully this year will be better still. Seems every time I start to make a profit, I'm understaffed and have to hire someone-that should level off at some point, I hope.

Banned
    Wow $15 a wheel for brakes that is a very tough market. I'm lucky with oil changes here as I charge for quality oil and my service of light vehicles always includes a full wheels off inspection of the entire undercarriage as I was taught. I can start to see why people in america are so pedantic with oil on forums and youtube because a lot of people must get shafted when their vehicles fail from the cheap oil the oil change places use.

I've seen this video and that is as far as my knowledge goes with private non dealer servicing over there. I watch a few dealer mechanics on youtube. (actually I watch south main auto repair)

Last edited by S; 15-02-18 at 08:53 AM.

Re the op:
    We run a VY moo in the production TT class, which is a AASA series run out of Winton.

The reason for this is Super TT run V8's etc., where we are restricted to sixes.

Contrary to the perceived wisdom by some on here, not everyone who runs moo's is on the bones of their collective arses, rather it's a conscious choice usually because of class rules & dare I say, variety (remember that?).

Now, re the op's question; a set of forged pistons for a moo is ~$1500, rods $800, MLS head gaskets ~$300 each (Cometic).

Contrast that with an LS; Wiseco forgies $584 delivered from the US, Scat rods $500, GM Performance MLS gaskets ~$100 a pair, & so on.

Now, I don't doubt the op may be able to find better pricing, especially for a bulk buy, but the point remains, they are not as economical as the LS example, & I think we all know which is the performance winner.

Little wonder people don't bother, unless there is a specific reason.

In spite of this, moo's are still popular for racing; the Super Sixes, TT's & many classes in Speedway.

Personally, I wouldn't bother for a street car for obvious reasons, although my current L300 van has a moo: it's cheap, easy to fit & performs nicely.

Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing & I for one, am glad people still bother to be different.

the $15 oil services just never ever seem like a good idea... I'm sure they're fine for the most part on any kind of basic car, but I'd bet good money they cut corners whenever they can.. I'd never consider one after seeing this a while back

https://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-...pan-1748394648

1. Employee cuts hole in transmission aero pan and drains DSG fluid.
    2. Tech tries to put in motor oil and it overflows all over the engine because no engine oil was ever removed.
    3. Tech and manager were going to let me drive on my way with no DSG fluid and massively overfilled engine oil in which case id likely be out an engine and transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Figure out how to not make an eco (or non eco for that matter) moo not sound like an ecomoo and you'd have interest.

Otherwise find a way to big a big fish in a little pond and capture a certain market specific. No point trying to chase joe average oil change and service if every other shop is doing the same thing and going broke. Moo performance probably isn't the answer but there will have to be a market sector that isn't being examined or serviced you could tap into.

Have a think about some of the more oddball jobs or projects (or better yet profitable) you've taken on and then search for that sort of stuff in google adwords to see what sort of interest there is.

For example, "Mechanics Canberra" will probably have 5000 hits a week and every other workshop is chasing that without success or big spend. "Weird french shitbox repair Canberra" might only have 200 hits a week but currently is going nowhere. Start doing some advertising around weird french shitbox repair and all of a sudden you are the first port of call for all 200 of those weird french shitbox owning knobs. 100% of 200 leads a week in an uncontested market is shitloads better than fuckall percent of 5000 hits a week in a market saturated by a hundred shops that have bigger budgets, more staff and experience.

tl;dr:

Quote from that Disney movie Robots "See a need, fill a need" but get paid for that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

S,

Firstly, thanks for the advice you have given me in a couple of my threads, I appreciate it.

Iím happy to be able to give you some advice in return in this thread.

I started my own business from nothing, built it up and sold it off. So Iíve got some practical experience, and Iíll pass on some observations and advice.

Iíll do a few different posts since you have difficulty reading large blocks of text. And donít be too worried about that, Richard Branson, the guy who founded Virgin is dyslexic, and heís a billionaire.

Vagina Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    "Weird french shitbox repair Canberra" might only have 200 hits a week but currently is going nowhere.
    https://www.canberracontinental.com.au/services

"Canberra Continental Service Centre provides a full range of servicing solutions for vehicles throughout Canberra and the rest of ACT and NSW. Based in Fyshwick, we can handle all models of European cars and always work diligently blah blah..."

"Please note : We do not service Citroens"

Starting with your question in your first post, most people donít drive modified cars, and of those who do, even less drive modified moos. You are in a city of 400,000 people.

So modified moo drivers in Canberra is what is known as your ďaddressable marketĒ. In this case your addressable market is very small.

I would not be starting a business going after a small addressable market unless you knew for sure there was a very big demand that was not being fulfilled, which doesnít seem to be the case here.

I would suggest going for a bigger market, say servicing stock road cars, and figure out how to sell into that market successfully.

More to follow.