Thread: Brake pad failure during bedding in

Brake pad failure during bedding in

I put some new rotors and pads on my 2000 hilux 4x4 today and took it for a drive to bed them in. After about 8 medium stops from 100 down to about 40 the front passenger side started making a grinding noise. Got it home and took the wheel off to find the inside pad had no friction material left and was metal on metal on the disc... all the other pads were fine. Is this just a dud pad or am I doing it wrong? Always bed brakes this way and never had a problem before!

Rotors are DBA slotted and pads are QFM.

Where did the material go?

Did it separate from the backing place?

Dud pad. The friction material shouldn't ever fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

QFM is shit in my experience. Put them with standard DBA rotors and full flush with Castrol brake fluid in my VS Commodore. Bedded in properly they never stopped the car properly. Had massive brake fade like I've never experienced before when they got hot, pedal went hard but car couldn't stop. Swapped them for Bendix at the first chance and they were completely and utterly stuffed, the material was crumbling off the backing plate. I stick with Bendix.

Banned
    Dud pad.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    Where did the material go?

Did it separate from the backing place?
    I assume it sheared off in a single block but didn't hear anything so it could have worn away...

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    QFM is shit in my experience. Put them with standard DBA rotors and full flush with Castrol brake fluid in my VS Commodore. Bedded in properly they never stopped the car properly. Had massive brake fade like I've never experienced before when they got hot, pedal went hard but car couldn't stop. Swapped them for Bendix at the first chance and they were completely and utterly stuffed, the material was crumbling off the backing plate. I stick with Bendix.
    Never had a problem with QFM A1RM or HPX.

Never expected them to be like zillion dollar pads, nor do I treat them as such. HPX always impress me with their dead cold performance in a street car, where you need brakes that work after 200m when a kid steps on the road. not in 10km once theyre warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I had a1rms dissappear at atrack day.

It's not a stuck piston holding the pad on the caliper?

I’d be sending them back for a please explain, if they’re only just bedded in then should be easy to spot a defect.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

I pushed the pistons back in to fit the new pads (theyre 4 piston calipers)... werent super smooth but not seized either. Made it all of 20km before it was metal on metal so would have had to been seriously dragging and i didnt notice anthing like that..

Theyve been sitting around in the shed for a couple of years so not sure i can be fucked trying to get warranty on them or that i would been keen to try another set if they did replace them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kneelo View Post
    pads are QFM.
    ^ thats your problem

Interesting. Have used QFMs for years and never had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

FWIW Ive had it happen on a rear once aswell, a bendix ultimate. Best part was I was only doing about 50kph when I felt it go and the grinding start, worst part I was about 2hrs from home when it happened and had already had the same wheels sidewall disintegrate so had a spare on. Sacrificed the left rear disc to get home as easy as I could but wasnt too happy.

Shit happens, new pads and get the disc machined and carry on
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

So an update... Sent a few photos back to GSL Rallysport who I got them off and they said no worries and sent out a new set with out any mucking about. Put the old pads back in and drove it a hundred k's to 'machine' the disc then bunged the new pads in. No issues so far and the pedal feel is still improving so looks like its all good. The new QFM pads looked completely different to the old ones so maybe QFM has sorted their shit out.

Good Customer service right there.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kneelo View Post
    So an update... Sent a few photos back to GSL Rallysport who I got them off and they said no worries and sent out a new set with out any mucking about. Put the old pads back in and drove it a hundred k's to 'machine' the disc then bunged the new pads in. No issues so far and the pedal feel is still improving so looks like its all good. The new QFM pads looked completely different to the old ones so maybe QFM has sorted their shit out.
    while they wont fall apart, you'll feel like they are made from blocks of wood or bricks under foot, horrible pad to modulate properly

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post

Never expected them to be like zillion dollar pads, nor do I treat them as such. HPX always impress me with their dead cold performance in a street car, where you need brakes that work after 200m when a kid steps on the road. not in 10km once theyre warm.
    My QFM A1RM pads are 3yrs old and two weekends ago I did repeated stops from 270+kph

Granted 3yrs use is about 3000kms

I totally destroyed a set of A1RM at a track day on a stock evo8.

completely separated from the backplate on two pads, and crumbled on another two.

went carbotech XP series and have never looked back.

Oo___oO

Are they fine for street use Burn?

I might buy 2pc rotors and actually fit my rear Evo Brembos that have sat on my shelf for 3yrs.. so ill grab pads too obviously

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post

I am also happy with HPX in street car duties. Bite well, wear well, and leave minimal dust. I haven't used any other grade of QFM pads in years.

You did the wrong thing bedding them in and may have overheated them.

http://qfm.com.au/userfiles/files/BE...-PROCEDURE.pdf

I've seen them overheat and delaminate the friction material from the backing, material ends up kinda chalky, looking a bit rust coloured. I've also seen a pad that was dropped split from the backing plate too. If it had of been used it would have stripped the friction material off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.