Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land-Yolo Discovery 1

Land-Yolo Discovery 1

Cliffs.

-Discussed with Nopics about acquiring pre-93 4x4 for club regable weekend escape/tow rig
    -Criteria was had to tow 2T plus, be pre 93 for club reg eligibility, big enough to fit dog in back [short haired pointer] and have heating/cooling
    -Series III/County Wagons ruled out due to cost and rust and absolute buckets to drive but god i want one
    -Landcruiser 60 series ruled out due to cost and rust
    -GQ Patrols ruled out because munted by flatbrim brigade and/or rust in roof
    -Landcruiser 80 series ruled about because cunts are seriously fucked in the head and there is no way a 25yr old 4wd with faded paint, fucked trim, 500k on clock, engine and driveline needing a rebuild etc is worth 5k
    -Im fucked in the head and I like punishing myself so i bought a Discovery 1 despite cunts rolling their eyes at me, hence, Land Yolo.

Fun facts:

-People that owned them like them. Anyone thats worked on one hates them

Fuck I hope I dont regret this. Its a 10/93 pre-update with the 3.5L EFI motor on dual fuel, bone standard and it honestly looks like its never really been off road before. Body is really good, interior is not bad but would come good with a proper detail. Engine and trans are smooth and run good which means theyll explode or catch fire tomorrow.

Made the 70km trip home uneventfully and it honestly looks like someone has spent money on this thing. Has a few faults but if you honestly thing a GQ for the same money would be better, im here to tell you your fucking wrong.

Living up to stereotype of potentially catching fire, surely this isnt standard?

Goes here

While on topic of wiring, this is a stereo "install"

Yes. Thats an inline fuse holder taped to the loom and a random join in power wire thats uninsulated

Cunts shouldnt touch cars if they dont know what they are doing. Its not hard to fix but fuck...

Anyway. Thats it for now. Ill report back when it explodes in my driveway.

N-
    Last edited by F3ARED; 21-02-18 at 05:21 AM.

Shit, I didnít think you hated yourself that much lol.

Should be a good thing, surprising the amount of them I see regularly driving around so canít be all that bad. Maybe start measuring up an LS swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

looks super clean

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    -Im fucked in the head and I like punishing myself so i bought a Discovery 1 despite cunts rolling their eyes at me, hence, Land Yolo.

Fun facts:

-People that owned them like them. Anyone thats worked on one hates them

Fuck I hope I dont regret this. -
    just saved these bits for later

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Shit, I didn’t think you hated yourself that much lol.

Should be a good thing, surprising the amount of them I see regularly driving around so can’t be all that bad. Maybe start measuring up an LS swap
    Yeah i can be a bit of a sucker for punishment. Having said that though the choice was basically between this with a couple of K up my sleeve to fix its issues, or a clapped out GQ with a shitload of neglect and no budget left. This way seemed to make more sense.

Theres a 304i powered one around the corner real cheap that would make a good parts car for when the inevitable happens but its fucking hideous so im guessing the quality of work is about as good as its look. Ironically the mrs jokingly mentioned LS swaps as well if it croaks, but i think a 1UZ would be a better choice. No drift tax attached to flogged out examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Date View Post
    looks super clean
    Thanks mate. Its had the dealer spec detail of we will polish everything except the roof because thats too high for us to reach and smear tyre shine all over the engine bay but underneath that its all pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    just saved these bits for later
    Lol. As long as it doesnt catch fire and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere with the mrs and kidlett on board im happy to put up with parts falling off along the way. I think.

Had a quick squiz at it last night to see if I can start sorting through some of the issues for roady. So far I think ive sussed the oil leaks on the engine, majority of it looks like its the oil pressure sender near the oil filter housing and the rocker covers. Everything else is wet but its not pissing out because my floor is clean [and yes it has oil in it] so good on that score. Spotted a busted drivers side engine mount which looks easy enough to get to so thats on the list.

Wiring. Why do cunts with no idea touch wiring. After i patched that stereo loom i still had no power to head unit, ended up finding a few extra wires in the factory loom just sitting loose in the console, one of which was the earth which had been ripped out of the plug. Heater fan wasnt working/kept blowing fuses so I was dreading having to pull the dash out to replace the fan motor. Turns out the fix was far, far more simple. Some twit had put a 10A fuse in the heater area instead of a 20A despite the colour coding on the lid saying otherwise. Changed that, fan hummed into action - winrar.

Still got no run on petrol; starts and runs fine on gas but absolutely zilch on juice. Had a poke around at the airflow meter and fuck someone has had a dodgy go here. Orange/Brown wire which is apparently MAF + has been cut and a new wire crimped in its place. New wire runs fuck knows where but im assuming its part of the gas conversion wiring. Question is, anyone on here that knows gas know if the orange/brown needs to be connected AND that addition wire left as is, or is the new wire thats been run going to the fuel switch in charge now?

N-

Gas runs off coolant temp is about as far as my knowledge goes. The fuel thing could easily be fuel pump blocked, id say that the previous owner ran it flat out on lpg and never bothered to throw a tank of petrol through it every now and then.
    I agree with Rdyno

interested how you go
    mate has offered me one for $500

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    interested how you go
    mate has offered me one for $500
    take his $500 then send the disco to the wreckers

i was thinking more disposable beach run car.

or junkyard turbo til it dies

For $500 its well worth a punt, whats the worst that can happen? It explodes and your down a grand or two. Apparently its the later ones that drop cylinders or something? Dont know dont care im taking the risk and i hope it doesnt bite me in the arse lol.

For the 3.9s apparently most of the issues are caused out of neglect; it chewing cams because of irregular oil changes. Theres a couple of other common faults like the water expansion tank exploding and leading to engines doing grenade impressions, the dizzy vac advance going and things having 2hp as a result, doing heads because the factory gauge is apparently notoriously innaccurate etc. Personally with old 4wds i think it depends more on how its been treated not what it is. A flogged 80 series landcruiser will give just as much headache despite being vastly superior in standard form. TLR i should have bought another Jackaroo.

Ash im thinking it may well be the pump thats dead because i cant hear it prime, but the way the wiring is on the AFM needs tidying up regardless as the insulation near the crimp is ratshit. Seriously, how fucking lazy was the LPG installer; they cut the wire RIGHT next to the plug, surely they could have just removed the pin from the plug and recrimped it?

Still got no run on petrol; starts and runs fine on gas but absolutely zilch on juice. Had a poke around at the airflow meter and fuck someone has had a dodgy go here. Orange/Brown wire which is apparently MAF + has been cut and a new wire crimped in its place. New wire runs fuck knows where but im assuming its part of the gas conversion wiring. Question is, anyone on here that knows gas know if the orange/brown needs to be connected AND that addition wire left as is, or is the new wire thats been run going to the fuel switch in charge now?

N-
    Join AULRO.com and ask bee utey about the lpg wiring. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about lpg, particularly on Land Rovers. The forum is a great resource for oil things Land Rover anyway, well worth the price.

Did get a hearty chuckle at the first post of the landy being about wiring.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    I worked on someone elseís once. Fuck that noise.

May god have mercy on your soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Your fucked. They are shit hth. Most parts are now nla
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.

Always looking for Triumph 2000 and 2500 parts and cars.

Where are the gas tanks/petrol tank?

If it has scuba tanks under the back where the original fuel tank was it probably has a 40L tank in the rhr 1/4. They are not too hard to drop out.

My old blue disco had a dodgy LPG set up where it shut off the injectors but the pump kept running. I destroyed a pump when the 33's put a hole in the tank and it ran dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140510_140904.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	104836
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Join AULRO.com and ask bee utey about the lpg wiring. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about lpg, particularly on Land Rovers. The forum is a great resource for oil things Land Rover anyway, well worth the price.
    Thats who Ive been dealing with! His knowledge is ridiculous, to the point of remembering wire colours off the top of his head.

Quote Originally Posted by to4garret View Post
    Did get a hearty chuckle at the first post of the landy being about wiring.
    Ironic isnt it, amusing part is some of the bodges are actually factory

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    I worked on someone else’s once. Fuck that noise.

May god have mercy on your soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Your fucked. They are shit hth. Most parts are now nla
    Thanks, I try my best to entertain the masses

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Where are the gas tanks/petrol tank?

If it has scuba tanks under the back where the original fuel tank was it probably has a 40L tank in the rhr 1/4. They are not too hard to drop out.

My old blue disco had a dodgy LPG set up where it shut off the injectors but the pump kept running. I destroyed a pump when the 33's put a hole in the tank and it ran dry.
    Yep twin scuba tanks, small tank in RHR corner. Whoever installed it did a quality job. Load bay is hacked above the fuel tank for an access hole to pump which in itself isnt too much of a problem, but then they went and "sealed" it with what looks like bearing grease. Which, as you can imagine, is pretty crap and sealing, particularly when the load floor isnt flat but the blanking plate is. Did you have to do the Camel cut on yours to do the 33's? And what lift?

So in the interests of entertainment and for those playing at home that are brave [pronounced stu-pid] enough like me to think one of these are a good idea, these are the following things that are/were wrong with it that im slowly sorting through. To be fair, 20% of the problems are shitty engineering [seriously, captive nuts! Fucking hell use them like the rest of the world], 30% terrible wiring ex-factory [lol youll see why lower down], 20% "professionals" that have worked on them and 30% dodgy tight ass owners.

-Indicators wont self cancel, assuming broken inside steering boss section. Seriously annoys me when RWC guys pick on this because its not exactly a safety issue but I wont go off on a tangent here. Dash lights for indicators wont light up on dash, assuming problem is related but again doesnt really bother me. Rest of warning lights work though so its not a cluster issue

-Sticky drivers side door handles; RHR requires a good yank on the handle, drivers door needs a bit of a jiggle with the key while pulling on the handle. Quick search so far and ive found handles for sale, latches for sale, and springs for sale. Apparently the fix is adjustment of the handle to latch rods which is relatively easy, however if theyve been left for too long they can stretch the spring in the latch. Replacements are readily available and cheap. Its doesnt look like too hard of a job but in best British Engineering practice requires half the fucking door to be pulled to bits [window frame removed etc].

-Drivers side rear door central locking solenoid not working; same shit on 99.99995% of all 80s and 90s Euro stuff. Just going to replace it with a generic slave from Jaycar.

-Washer bottle leaks like a sieve and empties its contents out all over floor. Cant see where the leaks origin is from, will need to remove and inspect. Appears to be in pretty decent shape/not brittle so hoping its just an o ring to the washer motors thats causing it. New replacements are available but I can think of better things to spend $80 on.

-Wiring fault on positive terminal; it appears there has been a short of sorts as the insulation is very burnt/brittle around the terminal. Had a look and traced the wire back and found a few...er interesting things [the sorts of things you dont find on Japanese or Australian cars unless someone has butchered it]. The larger gauge wire appears too long and the way its joined to the smaller gauge wires...and apparently...this is standard!!! Taped the crap out of the junction, will heat shrink over the top of it later. Going to get the boys at work to shorten the rest of the wire and crimp a proper connector on the end while they are at it.

-Centre console lid broken and some parts missing from the rear of the console. The lid is easy enough to fix, hinges are stuffed and top of lid is cracked assuming from people leaning on the lid getting in and out. Few other missing random pieces inside like the drivers door pocket and head unit, couple of random cracked plastics, ashtray from rear of console

-Missing antenna on front guard, second handy or plain old universal will fit the bill on this.

-Washer jet missing on rear of car for rear window. Either this thing has been resprayed and people forgot to reinstall parts, it fell off in a carwash [its a Land Rover so bits falling off are likely] or the detailers destroyed it

-Heater kept blowing fuses; Apparently fan failure is common and would require dash out but ended up working out the previous twit had a 10a fuse in a 20a hole

-Oil leaks. Oil leaks EVERYWHERE. Rocker covers require a bit of dismantling to get to but need doesnt look any harder than, say spark plugs on a Magna. Leak in oil filter housing area is from oil pressure switch. Sump doesnt look like its leaking but the gasket is dirt cheap and access is good so I might do it for insurance.

-Engine runs beautifully on gas, wont run at all on fuel. Looks to possibly be fuel pump issue. Got the pump and carrier out last night and disassembled. Apparently VN in tank pump is the go. Check out the awesome install by gas mob.

-While on topic of awesome quality gas install, one of the AFM wires needs to be cut and run elsewhere. So instead of actually pulling the pin from plug, removing old wire, recrimping new one in, lets just cut it as close to the plug as possible and do a shit job crimping the new one in. Seriously, cunts are fucking lazy. If there is enough length left in the new wire im going to try and repin it otherwise itll be a cut/solder/heatshrink job.

-Temp sender wire to AC fans was routed incorrectly, looked to be under tension. Turns out the wiring to compressor and to the drier was routed wrong as well. Unplugged, retaped, re-ran. Fixed.

-On topic of air con drier, had a steering knock over certain bumps that could be felt violently through steering wheel and had me scratching my head. I *think* ive fixed it - the foam around air con drier had fallen to bits allowing the aircon drier to slip through its bracket and basically bounce on the steering shaft. Piece of silicon hose around the drier and reinstalled and the drier stays where its meant to now. Will need to drive to confirm knock is gone but i suspect it is.

-Engine temp seems to fluctuate; sits on about a quarter through traffic and half way on the freeway. I know the standard gauges are supposedly stuffed in terms of accuracy but the fluctuation is unsual; suspected thermostat being flogged. No, its not a headgasket, chillout.

Cracking along, hopefully ready for road worthy next week.

N-

Lots of cutting to get those 33's on (255/85/16's actually). Was a lot of fucking around

Rear doors and all guards cut.

Had 80mm suspension lift with Kings/bilsteins. Had dislocation cones in it too as it use to hang the rear springs.
    Also had a rear maxidrive with upgraded axles but that was about it.

The thing would go anywhere, lack of care for the thing probably helped with that though.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

The half assed LPG conversion doesn't surprise me, would have been installed from new when LPG was dirt cheap in Vic. There were some horrific LPG conversions being done at that time, as you've discovered. And the quality of the equipment doesn't help either, iirc Landini was utter shit regardless of how well it was installed. Impco was usually OK.
    The truly scary thing is in the UK LPG is seen as a DIY install!
    Probably 99% of the time it's done better than some of the "professional" jobs here anyway.

Im pretty sure my neighbours think I have tourettes after working on it this weekend from all the fuck shit cunt fuck off FUCKING CUNT coming from my side of the fence. Fuck me they didnt use common sense building these things. For example, figured it would be good insurance to do the water pump. To get the water pump off you have to remove ALL the idlers for all 4 V belts [yes, 4 seperate fucking belts]. One idler requires the power steering pump to come off, but to get to the bolt on the power steer pump you need to get the distributor out...and on it goes.

Or how bout my personal favorite piece of design - theyve put the sump plug pretty much on the exhaust so you cant actually get your socket onto it. Pretty sure to do the rocker cover on the passenger side the top half of the inlet manifold needs to come off too despite BritParts telling me it doesnt.

HOPEFULLY once this shit is all done and sorted ill not have to do any of this shit for a long time. Whoever worked on this thing before me was a full blown rezzie - crazy leaks from the rocker covers and oil press sender which ended up being half the bolts having been left loose.
    Last edited by F3ARED; 26-02-18 at 06:54 AM.

Updates. Consider this a rolling log for anyone that is considering one of these things.

After a giant fuck around getting a roadworthy ive racked up just under 4000km in this. Because its on LPG usual RWC man couldnt do it so it got farmed out, guy doing it fucked me around majorly. First the car sat for 8 days in his driveway before he bothered to inspect it, at which point he then proceeded to fail it. Not a single item related to brakes/suspension/steering/safety - no, he failed me on such sage bullshit like indicators not self cancelling and gas tanks out of date. Except of course that the tanks ARE in date and he didnt even bother to look properly [needed to lift carpet in cargo area and remove access plate].

Anyway. Done now. Drove it for a week to work and back and around to get a bit of a feel for it before throwing the trailer on the back with the Gemini on board and heading interstate.

Managed to make it up to Kiama and back, including a Kiama-wakefield-Kiama run and going up and down the Macquarie pass without it blowing up. Towed ok up to 100kmh albiet mega gutless uphill. Definately needs the suspension doing as it is a bit soft in the arse end.

So far, i like it. Its quiet enough, it cruises along good enough, and its comfortable enough. Was it still a wiser choice than, say, buying a rough as fuck GQ/60 Series/80 Series for same coin? Time will tell i guess.

Observations thus far.

-It lacks power; i dont mean that from a gun it off the lights perspective, i mean that from a pulling a trailer and load up hill perspective. Theres a few things which may need looking at which ill get to lower down.

-Cooling system is marginal; weather was pretty warm on the weekend and flat footing it up hill with a bootload of luggage and a car and trailer on the back is an extreme set of circumstances, but it IS something that will need looking at. Radiator looks like its been done recently, water pump is new, belts are new [and tight], clutch fan operates correctly and i have a new expansion tank to fit this weekend. Will need some form of upgrade come tax time. Research has lead to much confusion - unfortunately searching on one-make-forum brings up the usual But the factory knows best and Leave it standard results. I refuse to believe an alloy radiator and twin thermo fans wont be an improvement - surely a single clutch fan and shroud dont flow more CFM than the twin falc thermos?

-The thirst is fucking horrendous. Like, eye wateringly bad. My cruise to work is pretty easy and i got 24L/100 on 98RON and 26L/100 on LPG. To put that into perspective, i average 10.5 to 11L/100 on the same route in my VZ SS. No, I didnt have some retarded notion that it would be good for fuel however I suspect something is amiss. Economy got worse as trip went on, which is unusual as return leg was majority downhill and showed no improvement. Also got slower...and...slower...as trip went on.

-Gas gauges tell lies, and the range between both tanks is fucking pathetic.

So in regards to the worsening economy and general reduction in power. I suspect its one of two things; either the vac advance on the distributor is starting to go out to lunch which would go some way to explaining why the fuel use wasnt improving on the light footed run, would also go some way to explaining lack of response on part throttle or on hills. The other possibility is the scary one - apparently its quite common for these things to eat cam lobes so that you end up with varying lift on each valves. And it gets worse and worse as it goes on.

Need to test and poke around properly, hopefully its as simple as the vac advance being faulty which is a cheap enough fix and we can get on with throwing a lift in and better tyres and using the thing as intended. If its cam...well....things just got a lot harder as what isnt meant to be a project is about to turn into one. Rover nuts foam into a lather at the mere mention of an engine conversion - build a 4.6 stroker, rover is the best! Except its still a fucking garbage, inefficient, unreliable fuel guzzling engine and now becomes an expensive one and adds the possibility of cylinder liner issues into the mix. Otherwise its start planning for a 1UZ or maybe even a 4BD1.

Hope not. I just want to go fishing!

N-

Ive expected nothing more from this Nick.

At this point in time you question your sanity, to throw money at it or hope some banana offers you some money so you can recoup the costs. I met a guy over the break who does a lot of resto stuff on these shit heaps, coincidentally he was at a guys place I know that like the BMW shitheaps I like so was a laugh listening to each others woes... anyway. Didnt get a card off this guy but he is around mornington somewhere, Ill speak to Tim and see if he can get a number, he sounded sick in the head and it was confirmed when he said had been playing with them for 30yrs
    I agree with Rdyno

A 1fz or tb42 nugget wouldn't be any better on fuel. Even the diehards agree building a rover v8 is a waste of money, LSx being the go to engine as always. 300tdi with updated head is a slow but bulletproof motor for towing. Pretty much get 10l per 100 empty or with 2t on the back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

its a low comp motor in those. iirc 8.3 to 1. add a fucking snail or live with 150bhp.

that wiring for the earth is standard. remember this thing came out as british leyland became austin rover.

upper plenum does have to come off to do the cover.

have the plugs been done?

timing chain, cam and dizzy will be worn out to fuck.

other options are a 4.6 from a p38, and risk the liner drop, or go ls1. the kits available in the states
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.

Always looking for Triumph 2000 and 2500 parts and cars.

-The thirst is fucking horrendous. Like, eye wateringly bad. My cruise to work is pretty easy and i got 24L/100 on 98RON and 26L/100 on LPG. To put that into perspective, i average 10.5 to 11L/100 on the same route in my VZ SS. No, I didnt have some retarded notion that it would be good for fuel however I suspect something is amiss. Economy got worse as trip went on, which is unusual as return leg was majority downhill and showed no improvement. Also got slower...and...slower...as trip went on.

N-
    Check the vacuum advance unit on the distributor. Common failure and causes the poor fuel economy to get way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Ive expected nothing more from this Nick.

At this point in time you question your sanity, to throw money at it or hope some banana offers you some money so you can recoup the costs. I met a guy over the break who does a lot of resto stuff on these shit heaps, coincidentally he was at a guys place I know that like the BMW shitheaps I like so was a laugh listening to each others woes... anyway. Didnt get a card off this guy but he is around mornington somewhere, Ill speak to Tim and see if he can get a number, he sounded sick in the head and it was confirmed when he said had been playing with them for 30yrs
    LOL honestly I expected it to be so, so much worse [ie breakdown on first trip interstate] but its actually been quite good. It starts first time every time, behaves in traffic, doesnt stall or carry on etc. Its actually not a bad thing [at the moment]. Mrs seems to like it a lot to the point where shes been sending me links to bullbars and roof racks....settle down woman, lift and tyres first.

Funny story actually. Before i bought this a GQ 4.2 Auto popped up around the corner from my house. Bit rough around the edges but was registered, right year etc. Bloke wanted 5 which was a bit on the end of our budget at the time but contemplated going for a looksy and lowball. That was, until i passed it going to work the next day and it was pulled over with hazards on/bonnet up

Hows the Triton going, did you ever sort that brake issue?

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    A 1fz or tb42 nugget wouldn't be any better on fuel. Even the diehards agree building a rover v8 is a waste of money, LSx being the go to engine as always. 300tdi with updated head is a slow but bulletproof motor for towing. Pretty much get 10l per 100 empty or with 2t on the back. Only have 3500 into it at this point - when i was looking, i couldnt find a registered pre93 GQ for under 4500 and they were all fucking rough.

Waste of money is a monumental understatement. Dont get me wrong I can see how a 4.6 swap would seem attractive - bolt all the standard accessories on, drop it straight in and turn the key and go* - instant torque and power increase and no other changes, probably the most cost effective way to go about it. Except of course you now introduce the possibility of randomly dropping a cylinder liner into the mix and still have the shit house fuel economy to contend with. Rebuilding a 4.6 quickly becomes an expensive waste of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    its a low comp motor in those. iirc 8.3 to 1. add a fucking snail or live with 150bhp.

that wiring for the earth is standard. remember this thing came out as british leyland became austin rover.

upper plenum does have to come off to do the cover.

have the plugs been done?

timing chain, cam and dizzy will be worn out to fuck.

other options are a 4.6 from a p38, and risk the liner drop, or go ls1. the kits available in the states
    Holset would go good on this, but could you imagine how bad fuel use would be then? Or how long the trans would last? lol

I havent done the plugs, no. Theres evidence that everything has been done [ie it has new leads/cap etc] but being a gas newbie I didnt know how critical ignition system was to actually running properly on gas so they are on my list to do as well as setting gaps properly. Having said that I dont think thats what is making it feel flat; most of the stuff ive pulled off looks to have been replaced in recent past so i suspect they have too. Likewise the rest of the stuff [chain, cam, dizzy etc] - theres no way it hasnt had a rebuild [theres evidence of stuff being changed like welsh plugs etc] so I presume they arent the original items.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Check the vacuum advance unit on the distributor. Common failure and causes the poor fuel economy to get way worse.
    Yep thats the first thing i need to check this weekend, hopefully its that simple. Might do the ignition module upgrade to the Bosch unit as well while im at it.

Not getting too far ahead of myself as it still needs a bit of poking around to actually confirm if something is wrong, and if it is, what. Ive never actually driven another one so going back a gear or two to get up a hill may be normal. But IF, lets say its not the Vac advance causing issues and the cam is actually toast, then these are the options:

-Rebuild the 3.5 with a few tweaks. Theres about 2k in parts only which includes bearings, rockers etc plus machining. Id say total would be around 4k with me doing all the labour. Quickest and easiest way but still has all the drawbacks it had at the begining. And wouldnt it be hilarious spending all that money to find out it drives exactly the same....

-Buy rotating assembly complete. One of the rover part suppliers has 3.9L bottom ends new, would still need to use the heads accessories etc from the old 3.5. All yours...for $4950. Fuck that!

-Rebuild the 3.5 into a 4.6. Havent priced this up but keep seeing around 2k just to put top hat liners into the block so im terrified to know what the crank and all the extra bits would cost. I cant see how it would be possible to do that for less than 8k.

-Drop in a used 4.6 using the accessories off the 3.5. Honestly probably the cheapest way out of anything, except ill probably age before my time and go grey with fear of liners falling out every time we drove it interstate.

-Buy a 300tdi and convert the whole thing to a diesel. Would fix fuel economy but would still need to go back a thousand gears to go uphill and your just introducing another engine with just as many problems [they eat heads].

Really the more you think about it the more cost effective an engine conversion sounds given you get a much, much better engine to boot. Theres kits for LS engines, 304i, Chev 350 from one of the big local suppliers. Member on rover forum does [or at least, used to] do a kit for the gearbox side of a 4BD1 Diesel and Isuzu 5speed, engine mounts i believe are just Perentie/LR Diesel but would require cutting old mounts off chassis. British supplier does a kit to fit the Isuzu 4JB1/4JG2 which would actually make a decently fucking sensible rig by the end of it [i had a mildly modded MU with the 4JG2 manual - it fucking M-O-V-E-D for a diesel]. 1UZ would also be a fucking good match for it but no kit that I can find which means fab work, and I suck at fabbing shit that isnt small stuff.

Anyway, all getting a bit far ahead when technically their may be nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by F3ARED; 06-04-18 at 08:03 AM.

LOL honestly I expected it to be so, so much worse [ie breakdown on first trip interstate] but its actually been quite good. It starts first time every time, behaves in traffic, doesnt stall or carry on etc. Its actually not a bad thing [at the moment]. Mrs seems to like it a lot to the point where shes been sending me links to bullbars and roof racks....settle down woman, lift and tyres first.

Funny story actually. Before i bought this a GQ 4.2 Auto popped up around the corner from my house. Bit rough around the edges but was registered, right year etc. Bloke wanted 5 which was a bit on the end of our budget at the time but contemplated going for a looksy and lowball. That was, until i passed it going to work the next day and it was pulled over with hazards on/bonnet up

Hows the Triton going, did you ever sort that brake issue?
    For all the bad on these old sheds they seem to just keep ticking along, dont ask me how but thy do. Well done on avoiding the Patrol, you think the landy is slow you would of gone back in time with that thing.

Brake issue, jesus where do I start. I think I have solved it, I did have a sticky slave on a drum so I gave it a home hone and has been good since. I think the issue with vibrations has been a dicky tailshaft all along, sending it down to shop next week for new uni's. Otherwise 230thou is still giving me 800klms a tank of diesel, I reckon Ive got another 10 left in the clutch, the rear main starting to weep ever slightly so clutch or seal first will disctate when I drop the gearbag out. Otherwise good car, I owe nothing on it and does everything I ask it to.

BTW I have a to4e sitting in my cupboard......just saying
    I agree with Rdyno

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I know a couple of guys who bought cheap Discovery 2 TD5's, they are always having to fix shit in them.

Both these guys have rage quit at least a dozen times, "fuck these piece of shit cars, I'm buying a Toyota, Nissan, etc"

They go test drive a Land Cruiser, Patrol, whatever, then they fall in love with the Disco again and open their wallets to fix whatever needs fixing, because of the way they drive, so comfy, nice place to be, etc.

I don't know if it's the same wow factor in the Disco 1, maybe not since they didn't have the ACE and the other goodies. But I've heard similar stories of people who just can't keep coming back to them...

/csh
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Our RRC (from which all these peasant discos are based) just feels so much better than any jap truck, I can see why people keep them.

300tdi doesnt eat heads, once you fit the updated head (better cooling etc). I fitted a new head to our d1 along with reco radiator and heaps of other stuff, then sold it to a bloke at work. Its still his daily 5 years later. He did have a rocker arm randomly snap but that was an easy fix. I sold it with 330kms on it and he would do 100km a day easy.

You can also wind a few more psi and fuel into them, plus better intercooler helps.

Theres a few d1 300tdi around here for 2k that look neat enough, you could pretty much sell yours off and go straight to a diesel.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Happened to drive past two of these in convoy doing about 80km/h in a 100 zone around Lithgow last weekend. Then I noticed the 1st one had a big sign on the back saying "overheating - regularly stopping".

#discolife
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02