Thread: EFI hose as heater hose

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar

EFI hose as heater hose

Nopics Civic split a heater hose on the way home today, I managed to limp it home with a silicone glove from the first aid kit jammed over the split.

When I got it home, I couldn't find my stash of heater hose, but I had some 10mm EFI hose. I've stuck the EFI hose in and it seems to be working, and I really can't be bothered doing anything more unless it needs it.

Is there any reason to replace the EFI hose with 'proper' heater hose?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Nope, its overkill
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Nope, its overkill
    It's been floating around the shed for a decade, so it should balance out

Remember to take it off and put it back in the shed when the car eventually goes for scrap.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

EFI hose is generally NBRubber which has good resistance to fuels and oils, it is fine for coolant but the usable temps are only to 95C.

typically heater and coolant hoses are EPDM Rubber which has a higher temperature rating to 150C, so it'll last longer before cracking.

leave it as it is but just know it won't last as long.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Check out fucking Wikipedia over here. Making us all look stupid man dial it back a bit

Worry about it in 5 years
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    EFI hose is generally NBRubber which has good resistance to fuels and oils, it is fine for coolant but the usable temps are only to 95C.

typically heater and coolant hoses are EPDM Rubber which has a higher temperature rating to 150C, so it'll last longer before cracking.

leave it as it is but just know it won't last as long.
    Thanks, I was afraid of something like that. The old one split at the bottom near the exhaust manifold, so I assume it gets fairly warm around there.

Guess I'm getting some proper heater hose on the weekend. Luckily it's a piss easy job to change.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Check out fucking Wikipedia over here. Making us all look stupid man dial it back a bit
    Haha doesn’t help that I specify these elastomers on a day to day basis but not in automotive industry
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Haha doesn’t help that I specify these elastomers on a day to day basis but not in automotive industry
    blowing your own elastomeric hose there , buddy

What's the deal with EFI hose these days and fuel though-here in the US we can't buy EFI hose that's as good as what comes factory new on a car. What you can buy on the street here will crack and split inside a year unless you go out of your way to buy non-ethanol fuel.

I've personally tried the old rubber style, the new rubber style, the rubber with hard blue plastic liner, rubber with hard white plastic liner, braided line with rubber outer and plastic inner, Aeroquip, Earls, Holley...every single one of them has the same spec stamped on them, but only the OEM hoses and lines last more than a year or two without little cracks and splits starting to show up when run on pump fuel.

Every march I go through all my personal vehicles and replace all the soft lines-because, of course-my newest vehicle is 28 years old and the OE soft lines are long gone. Every year when taking the lines off, they've all but crumbled in my hands coming off.

I use gates barrier hose on my cars and it seems to last longer than ~12 months/crash that the cars last. Running on E10 cause I'm a tightwad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    What's the deal with EFI hose these days and fuel though-here in the US we can't buy EFI hose that's as good as what comes factory new on a car. What you can buy on the street here will crack and split inside a year unless you go out of your way to buy non-ethanol fuel.

I've personally tried the old rubber style, the new rubber style, the rubber with hard blue plastic liner, rubber with hard white plastic liner, braided line with rubber outer and plastic inner, Aeroquip, Earls, Holley...every single one of them has the same spec stamped on them, but only the OEM hoses and lines last more than a year or two without little cracks and splits starting to show up when run on pump fuel.

Every march I go through all my personal vehicles and replace all the soft lines-because, of course-my newest vehicle is 28 years old and the OE soft lines are long gone. Every year when taking the lines off, they've all but crumbled in my hands coming off.
    I've noticed a similar issue with rubber parts in general - the stretchy rubber straps that motorbikes use for retaining toolkits and batteries seem to crack and degrade in a couple of months these days.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Because it's all chinese made reclaim rubber based. It's black and rubbery so it's all the same right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post

I work for a rubber company here in oz. The automotive hoses we make for OE is generally of a higher quality and has more stringent QC than what aftermarket replacement items are. Everything we make is done the old school way and is good quality, all the main ingredients and base rubber that goes into the mix are sourced from quality suppliers in the US and EU, Natural rubbers come from Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam. The OE formulas are overkill and that's why they are better and last so long. We are still in business (smaller scale) even though OE manufacturing is gone, for how much longer remains to be seen.

Can a retail customer buy OE quality hose from your company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Up until a few months ago, yes but since there is no oe production anymore, unfortunately no.

I reckon Gates barricade or Pirtek multi hose (made by Bridgestone in Japan) is the pick of the bunch.
    Fuck I'm retarded

This thread came to mind today when I was changing some stuff on my daily driver, I put Gates Barricade 1/2" carby fuel line on it for catch can breather lines a couple of years ago. Found the interior of the line was falling to bits today which was suprising to me given Gates state it's ok for PCV lines: https://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comerg...uctID=42195943

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gates breather1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	105505
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gates breather2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	105506
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 01-04-18 at 02:19 PM.