Thread: handy 4wd/camping accessories under $100

Probationarily unbanned

handy 4wd/camping accessories under $100

Thought I'd start a thread to share the little knick knacks you find handy when camping/touring/4wding.

I'll start with three.

1. Quickie deflators, i carry two, means airing down when I've got a passenger takes about 1 minute.

2. 'Vandal proof' tap handle, for using council taps where they don't want me to.

3. Drum and bung tool, does the big and small caps on 200L drums, the lids and bungs on 20-25L water cubes and some variety of other things.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

Duct tape, cable ties, knife and a $10 aldi mini socket/screw driver set in where the factory spare tyre jack sits.

Saved the day many many times.

edit: as above also tyre deflator, and tyre pressure gauge.
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

For anyone with a TPMS system:

Trailhead tire deflators; sit in your car watching the tyre pressure go down in air conditioned comfort whilst other people are bent over like peasants or on their knees.

Extra bonus: All 4 done at once means you hit the trail or beach quicker.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

For the camping side I found inflatable solar lamps super useful. Up to 18hrs light, deflate and pack into a small flat package that weighs almost nothing, sit them on your dash to charge during the day and easy portable lighting at night (or hang from roof of tent or awning). I use them for hiking/camping. There's a couple brands and you can find them online for less than $20

https://luminaid.com/collections/sol...QaAo5CEALw_wcB

I like my LED headlamp torches. Just the energizer ones from bunnings do the trick. And a 12V LED flexi strip light can be a handy thing round camp or under the awning of the camper trailer..

Probationarily unbanned
    I've got another one.

$14 parachute nylon hammock from ebay. I carry two. Pack into a pocket sewn into themselves. Great for an improptu laze around. I've been known to set them up just for a lunch break.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

I always carry a small foldable shovel, about $25 from Ananconda etc. Handy when digging around tyres and under the car when you're stuck in soft sand or CBF getting the big shovel off the roof.

A Rescue Swag 1st aid kit. Pretty much covers everything and can be found on 4WDSC for $79 and a bit over $100 for the normal one.

Something neat i saw today on Ronny Dahl's new Modified youtube was using an old rim as a firepit. Pretty handy and cheap idea.

My recovery tracks were also $99 maxtrack ripoffs and have been well used and abused.
    Last edited by docile1; 24-02-18 at 12:16 AM.

Some interesting items.

For me it is:
    $2 valve remover tool and spare valves. Saved my butt a few times and also great for airing down quick, although I have an ARB style quick deflator now also.

Foldable shovel
    Deck chairs
    Led clip light panel (goes onto battery terminal) great for setting up camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

A tyre repair kit is another handy item. Usually about $35 and handy for those of us who can't or don't carry 2 spares.

Stones Green Ginger Wine.