Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tremendous Shaft

Edumacator

Tremendous Shaft

I am trying to assemble a new driveshaft for the IS200 without much luck.

This time round I want to do a 1 piece shaft but there is a problem in that both ends are flanged and so I need a slip joint along the length of the shaft.

We will be assembling the shaft ourselves, as Iím sure we can do a better job than most shops.

So far I have 3Ē Chromoly tube, and some forged end yokes + billet yoke flange to suit the gearbox end.

Iím looking for suggestions of a slip joint assembly or suitable stub shaft and slip yoke that may do the job.

Given the car weighs 1550kg and will make up to 1100 engine HP, what can i use?

I have approached a few tailshaft parts importers and they say they donít have a part that will do.

Suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
    I am trying to assemble a new driveshaft for the IS200 without much luck.

This time round I want to do a 1 piece shaft but there is a problem in that both ends are flanged and so I need a slip joint along the length of the shaft.

We will be assembling the shaft ourselves, as Iím sure we can do a better job than most shops.

So far I have 3Ē Chromoly tube, and some forged end yokes + billet yoke flange to suit the gearbox end.

Iím looking for suggestions of a slip joint assembly or suitable stub shaft and slip yoke that may do the job.

Given the car weighs 1550kg and will make up to 1100 engine HP, what can i use?

I have approached a few tailshaft parts importers and they say they donít have a part that will do.

Suggestions ?

Late Alfa GTV6s and 75s had a splined stub and yoke with a pinch bolt so that you could shorten it up to get it out of the car, but lock it up at full length. It's an uncommon part to find and they're a 3 bolt tripod for rubber donuts, so that's not likely to be much use to you.
    How about a CV joint with plunge at one end?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Edumacator
    What I really want is a lead on a decent stub shaft And slip yoke combination to act as in the diagram below.

Edumacator
    All enquirers so far are either ďout of stockĒ or ďcanít provide a product to do that jobĒ. Usually based on the hp and weight requirements

Looks like truck parts would fit the bill with your torque requirements.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

What I really want is a lead on a decent stub shaft And slip yoke combination to act as in the diagram below.

105 series alfas have exactly that arrangement in the back half of the 2 piece shaft - but i doubt it's of sufficient torque capacity.
    A CV with plunge will give you what you need, without the room for play that will give you a whipping effect that will lead to driveshaft failure at high speed like the slip yoke will.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Dumb question warning:

Live axle? Did the two piece have a slip joint? 'srong with the 2 piece? How long does the shaft need to be?
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 23-02-18 at 11:17 AM.

Edumacator
    IRS. Close to solid mounted at both ends. The old 2 piece suffered from poor driveline angles and hence killed a lot of Center bearings and slip joints. Now all that is fixed but I want to simplify to a 1 piece.

Shaft is 1300mm flange to flange

IRS. Close to solid mounted at both ends. The old 2 piece suffered from poor driveline angles and hence killed a lot of Center bearings and slip joints. Now all that is fixed but I want to simplify to a 1 piece.

Shaft is 1300mm flange to flange

cheers! I'm not seeing why you need a slip joint, but I'm sure you have given this more thought than I have

5 minutes googling indicated that these are a thing in the jacked up 4WD scene, dunno if that helps.

are you in Sydney? this seems somewhat relevant if so http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ece-Tailshafts

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    cheers! I'm not seeing why you need a slip joint, but I'm sure you have given this more thought than I have
    You need to be able to shorten the shaft by upto about 1" (depending if it's bolt on flanges, which have a 1/4" register in the face, or bolt on unis) to get it in and out when the engine and diff are fixed in one spot. Otherwise the headfuck means getting the length bang on, and then unbolting the diff everytime you need to pull the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    You need to be able to shorten the shaft by upto about 1" (depending if it's bolt on flanges, which have a 1/4" register in the face, or bolt on unis) to get it in and out when the engine and diff are fixed in one spot. Otherwise the headfuck means getting the length bang on, and then unbolting the diff everytime you need to pull the driveshaft.
    yeah apart from that. Outside the scope of practicality but it would be possible to have a flange mount uni with removable location (tight fit bolts or knock out/in alignment pins) or a bolt in uni where the bearing carrier fits into a recess in the yoke.

Can you not change the fixed output flange to a slip yoke? IE cut the threaded stub off and fit a slip yoke over it. I'm sure I did something similar with an A340 previously.

When I spoke to Hardy Spicer they were concerned re balancing and strength of the splined slips.

I ended up with the below due to the diff nose being tucked deep into the cross-member. Ended up using a 1350 quick release yoke and 3.5inch tube to get it so I could fit and remove it. You still need 25mm odd to be able to slip the UNI out of the quick release yoke though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS HS Calipers and Diff.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	751.6 KB 
ID:	104862
    You can see the Diff CV Nose flange and bolts in spigot flange in this pic. The Quick release yoke is on the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E30 Tailshaft.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	610.5 KB 
ID:	104861

Edumacator
    Itís not an option to convert to a slip yoke in the gbox. There is not enough length on the spline and to change output shaft is a big $job.

Have I suggested a plunge CV on one end yet?

convert one end to a CV
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Have I suggested a plunge CV on one end yet?
    what he said
    Last edited by TRD-MX62; 23-02-18 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Edumacator
    Can I have a universal on just one end? I thought they had to work in pairs?

Can I have a universal on just one end? I thought they had to work in pairs?

The way a uni work means they should be run in pairs and sync. I have seen manufacturers run them by themselves with CV's so I'm not certain how they get around the differing rotational speeds without introducing harmonics.

I had a TS made 5 times once and tye end result still.wasn't perfect. It was an uprated factory replacement.

This is and strenght are the reason i went dual uni single piece on my current project.

They are supposed to work in pairs, but if the angles are close enough to zero, you can get a way with one.

What about use an off the shelf tailshaft joint that would go into a regular gearbox, but turn it 180 deg and weld the end that would go onto tailshaft onto a flange that goes onto your box, then just turn up a piece of steel that welds to your tailshaft that is the gearbox output shaft in reverse.

All the design is already done and you pretty much spline 1 shaft and turn up a bit of round bar.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Edumacator
    I was thinking of getting these...

Are you running a lenco?

Edumacator
    No, itís a TREMEC Tr6060. The lenko slip yoke just happens to match the spline of the most suitable stub shaft I could find.

What's the 6060 out of? Us pov eseries falcon owners put the b series boxes straight into our shitters, use an appropriate slip yoke and happy days, even with the live axle rear.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

Edumacator
    Yeah - thatís the main issue. Itís a VE HSV box (bolt flange Only) In a Lexus IS200. Lots of time and money invested already in figment and the shift mechanism.

Edumacator
    Something tells me it might be a while before I need it anyway...

Nissan patrol has flange/flange with slip joint

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    Nissan patrol has flange/flange with slip joint
    They're rated to about 4000rpm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Edumacator
    Yeah this will need to cope with 10k rpm

So put a 2 piece shaft in.You're gonna have to pay to play sadly. Or tubs and increase tyre size, torque curve and drop diff gears to bring the shaft speed down
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok