Thread: Turbo sounds like a supercharger...???

Turbo sounds like a supercharger...???

Right, so my cheapy eBay turbo might be on the way out. When under reasonable boost (which it's still making, yippee!), the noise it makes has recently changed from a "sucking in lots of air" sound, to that coupled with "Good Lord, I seem to have a roots blower under there!". Which sounds cool, but can't be right.

Shaft play is still pretty minimal (less than 1mm, impeller doesn't touch the housing, no witness marks either), but I suspect the noise is coming from the bearing inside the unit. It's getting oil just fine, though.

Any thoughts, team?

boost leak blowing trumpet noises?

boost rag?
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

if there's no loss of power, push on!

Quote Originally Posted by GSRman View Post
    boost leak blowing trumpet noises? boost rag?
    Negative on boost leaks and/or rag! OK, so I haven't actually done a proper boost leak test, but all the hoses are good. And I found no rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    if there's no loss of power, push on!
    Tempting, but I'd rather not send pieces of turbo into my combustion chambers...

Mine did something similar a while back, became a bit whiney. It ended with the bearing collapsing and a couple of broken and bent turbine blades. Thankfully they went out the exhaust.

It was diagnosed as an oil supply issue which made sense as i did have an turbo oil line failure (pin hole).

If i was you, id do a proper boost leak test, if it tests good and the noise remains, pull the turbo off and have it rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by the chief View Post
    if i was you, id pull the turbo off and get a garrett
    ftfy

Well, if you've got the coin to spare, no worries. How about a precision or even better a BW EFR...

Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    Negative on boost leaks and/or rag! OK, so I haven't actually done a proper boost leak test, but all the hoses are good. And I found no rag.

Tempting, but I'd rather not send pieces of turbo into my combustion chambers...
    Intercoolers are pretty good blade filters.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Bent or broken blade, seen it a couple of times. Saw a Passat that ate a nut and fucked the turbo, turbo boosted like a champ but sounded insane. Other time was the Sprinter work van, the bearings were stuffed allowing the shaft to move around, ended up breaking the shaft in half.

Yeah, turbo whine not good. My TO4 ate a little.bit of inlet hose rubber on track once and started howling under boost. Checked it and found it was couple of bent compressor blades. Drove it home off boost, end of that track day, but easy fix with new wheel.

So push on if you like, but not if it was my motor.

Now I've got an actually supercharged (roots blower) car, I'm loving the sound!

OK, so new turbo time it seems... this escalated quickly..!!

My current GT3582R eBay unit has a compressor housing A/R of 0.7, which seems to be about the standard these days. Turbine housing is 0.81. In selecting a new unit I want something better, obviously, but most seem to have 1.0 or larger A/R on the turbine side - I gather that this means more power up top, won't spool up as fast. I know there are other variables to work with, but would the difference between 0.81 and 1.00 make an enormous difference, all other things being equal?

Probably not unless your turbo is marginal for size anyway.. eg, if you are trying to spin it on a 1.3 - and you aren't getting boost till 6000 - not cool, but if it's half-fucked and making boost at a reasonable rpm - probably fuck all.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Went and had a closer look earlier...

Seems it has somehow ingested a small pterodactyl. I have hunted high and low for the little fucker, but it seems he/she/it didn't survive an impeller spinning at eleventy-thousand RPM. Good riddance. Now to shop for a new turbo because it's actually not worth the trouble to try and get this thing rebuilt, being a cheap eBay thing.

Opens
    needs more boost rag.

i'd be checking your intercooler for chunks too

Oo___oO

Yeah, when the new turbo is ready to go on, I'll pull it all apart and have a looksee. For now I guess I'll just be putt-putting around like an old lady... *sadface*

If tbe core is actually garrett sized send it to procharge, 9 blade turbine which is lighter and flows more and billet compressor with new bearings for less than a new cast compressor turbo. Just reusing housings.

Or just buy a replacement compressor wheel and chuck it in there. It's not hard at all to do compressor work, and a new wheel is like 50-60$ US.

Just inspect the compressor housing to see if the chunks cut a big score out of it or not, I've done turbos that looked WAY worse than that and they came up fine after a new wheel and a light rub inside the housing to correct a burr.

Compressor wheels are balanced independently of the turbine shaft, turbine shafts are balanced independantly of the compressor wheel, on anything but the oldest turbos. I haven't seen a "balance assembly only" setup in over a decade of working in ancient turbos...I'm too poor to buy anything made this century.
    Last edited by Xnke; 08-03-18 at 06:01 PM.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Interesting. So if i have a turbo with a normal compressor wheel, can I buy a billet wheel and bolt it on with no need for balancing? As billet wheel is already balanced?
    Last edited by nine2nine; 08-03-18 at 10:19 PM.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Yes but they generally are offset inducer sizes relative to the cast ones, so factory garrett offer 62mm billet inducer vs the 61mm cast wheel so you would have to get compressor cover to match.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Ok cheers. Asking because I have a td0518g on the Patrol that would be better billet and a gt4294 on the Mazda that would also be better billet. Cost of upgrading either with new turbos is not feasible.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

I must say I didn't bother looking at replacing the compressor wheel on its own. Perhaps this cheap turbo isn't done yet? I might have a crack at it when it's off, if I can find a wheel of the right size anyway!