Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

"takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

As some probably noticed i was looking around for an old NA MX5 to put on club reg as a mixed occasional drive and a track car now that the AE86 is about to go to a new home. Well last weekend i went and looked at this one, and today i picked it up, and put it through RWC with spare bits from the seller. As it sits it has NB stock struts, hence the rally car look

Pretty stock for now, at least to get it through RWC. Reasonable condition, little bit tatty in places, but seems quite mechanically solid. Also picked up a set of Tein coilovers for it, and the hard top at the same time. Have some Avanti Storm's winging their way over from the US for it (sorry Brendan, had already ordered them), and probably pick up a roll cage for it from Brown Davis eventually. Has an NB soft top under the hardtop too, so need one of the NB roll cages. Kind of wanted a black hard top, but at the price that this one was offered for it was a good deal.

Other than that the main things that need to be done are just maintenance. Water pump/timing belt, full fluids change etc etc. Should all be pretty easy to do, especially as its all so open and easy to get at everything.

First things first though, time to get club reg on it.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Assume you have seen the MX5 Brown Davis roll bar for sale in the general spare parts section?

Looking forward to the details of your build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by archie1 View Post
    Assume you have seen the MX5 Brown Davis roll bar for sale in the general spare parts section?

Looking forward to the details of your build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I knew ahitbreak was selling it. But this has an NB soft top on it too and the NA roll bars donít work with the glass NB tops. Iíll have to get an NB bar for it.

Get rid of the soft top. You can drive without a roof if there is a chance it won't rain before you get home.

Even if your not doing the fastest lap times, it's still a lot of fun driving the car as fast as you possibly can on the track. Trying to get every bit available the car has to offer.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Get rid of the soft top. You can drive without a roof if there is a chance it won't rain before you get home.

Even if your not doing the fastest lap times, it's still a lot of fun driving the car as fast as you possibly can on the track. Trying to get every bit available the car has to offer.
    Nah. Planning to keep the soft top, even if it lives on top of the shelving in the garage. That way I can sell it as a soft top rather than a hard if it comes to it. Just makes sense to get an NB roll bar as it will work with both the soft and hard tops, not just the hardtop. Willing to pay the extra for flexibility.

But yeah. Looking forward to getting some laps in.

How much would having the NB soft top fitted effect lap times though?
    Or is that one of those questions everyone knows the answer too but no one has actually proven it?
    Not having a dig at anyone, just curious because MX5 owners seem to be the only ones who talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    How much would having the NB soft top fitted effect lap times though?
    Or is that one of those questions everyone knows the answer too but no one has actually proven it?
    Not having a dig at anyone, just curious because MX5 owners seem to be the only ones who talk about it.
    Itís something like 20-25kg or dead weight really. So if you are running the hard top it makes sense to take the soft top out too.

Yeah, fair point. I'd forgotten how heavy they actually are.

Also, really need to replace the wing mirrors. Someone has basically adjusted the passenger one to look at the kerb, while the drivers one means i can only see other people's tyres. Bloody useless, plus from the forums the bolts tend to snap or come loose all the time.

I have a set of RaceTech wing mirrors around somewhere that i might see if i can fab up some brackets to put on.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I was suggesting to remove the soft top so you don't have to worry about the NB rollbar. Brendan has a rollbar that will fit. Msg him, it's from an NB. I always remove the soft top as its not needed. It does weigh about 25kgs. And the hardtop is about the same. So that's 50kgs up high in the car. Seeing as this car isn't about lap times, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

I was suggesting to remove the soft top so you don't have to worry about the NB rollbar. Brendan has a rollbar that will fit. Msg him, it's from an NB. I always remove the soft top as its not needed. It does weigh about 25kgs. And the hardtop is about the same. So that's 50kgs up high in the car. Seeing as this car isn't about lap times, it doesn't matter what it weighs.
    Yeah, this is more about just compatibility down the line, in case i want to run the soft top for some reason.

Looking at tyres now, havent bought grippy road tyres for ages... but glad im not spending $350 a tyre on A050s...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I have RS4's. They feel great on the track, and seem to wear well. They still looks almost new after doing almost 2 track days plus some road driving.

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Yeah, this is more about just compatibility down the line, in case i want to run the soft top for some reason.
    I did that, kept it for a while, pulled it out, and the reason to keep it never came.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

I have RS4's. They feel great on the track, and seem to wear well. They still looks almost new after doing almost 2 track days plus some road driving.
    What's your overall impression of the RS4s in comparison to other contenders? Considering some 225/45/15 to go on my Advanti Storm S1 wheels.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    How do you find it compared to the AE86? A mate had an NA for a while and I didn't dig it, engine didn't want to rev, gearbox was funny etc, didn't really fit into it either. He liked it (he also had an AE86 before the MX5) so maybe it just took some getting used to. Great fun driving around at night with the top down once you get over the uncomfortability of being one of two blokes in an MX5 with the top down. (oo er) I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.

Looking at tyres now, havent bought grippy road tyres for ages... but glad im not spending $350 a tyre on A050s...
    RE003s or proper grippy tyres? good opportunity to step up to 15s, these would be pretty hilarious on it https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-JUN...53.m1438.l2649

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.
    4AG is a much nicer thing, but it's hard to justify all the stuff around of an engine swap.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    4AG is a much nicer thing, but it's hard to justify all the stuff around of an engine swap.
    Yeah it totally wouldn't be worth the effort, and there are more sensible and also sillier engines if you were going to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    How do you find it compared to the AE86? A mate had an NA for a while and I didn't dig it, engine didn't want to rev, gearbox was funny etc, didn't really fit into it either. He liked it (he also had an AE86 before the MX5) so maybe it just took some getting used to. Great fun driving around at night with the top down once you get over the uncomfortability of being one of two blokes in an MX5 with the top down. (oo er) I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.

RE003s or proper grippy tyres? good opportunity to step up to 15s, these would be pretty hilarious on it https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-JUN...53.m1438.l2649
    Yeah, will be running 15s. Ordered some 15x8s for it. Those copies are pretty funny, considered some TE37 copies for a bit.

It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev. The gearbox is nicer than i remember the T50, but that could be because im remembering the race car not what it would be like as a sorted road car. I havent been in a 4AG powered road car for quite a long time, and the race car is a far cry from a road going vehicle. The engine basically has no power below 4500rpm...

Ill probably swap in a 1.8 eventually, but for now its a good bit of fun. Essentially what i wanted the 2JZA61 to be, but much much cheaper and lighter.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev.
    I read that they wanted to emulate the feel/sound of a British sports car, to me they feel a lot like a 2TG which I assume had a similar power delivery to a Lotus twin cam.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    I read that they wanted to emulate the feel/sound of a British sports car, to me they feel a lot like a 2TG which I assume had a similar power delivery to a Lotus twin cam.
    yeah i've heard that. The guy who was telling me that reckoned that they benchmarked a worn out one. I found that it wouldn't shift as fast as a T50 for example (and I managed to shift faster than my T50 wanted to go when I was trying to work out if a short shift kit was a good idea) but I might have just been driving the MX5 like a sick cunt.

and I haven't driven many mazdas but I've never driven one that liked to rev. no that's not true, I had a mazda3 hire car for a while that loved it.

I drag raced my mate while he had one (I was driving his sprinter) and I was well ahead at the end of first gear, then when I shifted into second I beat him all the way to the speed limit. the MX5 is just a weird mix of low redline and short gearing, but as they apparently wanted to tap into the "I want a British sports car feel only reliable" they probably got everything the way it had to be.

/csh
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 06-03-18 at 11:42 PM.

Every MX5 I have had has revved to over 7000 easy. Not sure why you guys feel they don't rev. The gearbox in these are normally nice to shift, I can shift gears as fast as I can without any hesitation from the box. Chuck some extractors, straight trough exhaust and light flywheel on it. As to tyres, my lap times where slower with the RS3's, but hey felt great. When I took the exhaust off I noticed the cat had collapsed. That would be why it went slower, it had a big chunk sitting sideways blocking exhaust flow.
    Last edited by lightyear; 07-03-18 at 03:16 AM.

Every MX5 I have had has revved to over 7000 easy. Not sure why you guys feel they don't rev. The gearbox in these are normally nice to shift, I can shift gears as fast as I can without any hesitation from the box. Chuck some extractors, straight trough exhaust and light flywheel on it. As to tyres, my lap times where slower with the RS3's, but hey felt great. When I took the exhaust off I noticed the cat had collapsed. That would be why it went slower, it had a big chunk sitting sideways blocking exhaust flow.
    Probably because the factory redline of the 100kw smallport 4ag is 7900rpm and will happily do 8800rpm completely stock.

It definitely feels zingier than the B6. Lots more power up top too. B6 feels flatter than peakier.

Considering the B6/BP engines were family hatchback engines turned around for properwheeldrive they're not bad. The car was also primarily designed to recapture the spirit of the old pommy roadsters, which they'll handily blow into the weeds. If Mazda had really wanted to make them a performance car they would have dropped the rotary in. Or the V6, which I reckon would have been a sweet package in an MX5. I do agree Mazda 4 cyl engines from that era weren't anything spectactular, although I do admit the B3 121s seemed to be pretty happy bouncing off the 6500 rev limiter. Not that there was much point, they didn't make any power.

Last night i drove this for the first time at night, and the crazing on one of the headlights is pretty bad. Can still see fine, but the light scatter annoys me no end.

This morning i jumped online to see what options there are for replacing the lights, thinking i would just grab some 7" raybrigs or something. Came across these:

I reckon they will fit too...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I swapped a 6x7 Raybrig into my bike - it made a huge difference vs the stock glass - tempted to bin the repro Carellos on the GTV for a pair now.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 08-03-18 at 08:53 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Last night i drove this for the first time at night, and the crazing on one of the headlights is pretty bad. Can still see fine, but the light scatter annoys me no end.

This morning i jumped online to see what options there are for replacing the lights, thinking i would just grab some 7" raybrigs or something. Came across these:

Need to get you a steak and a pint ASAP. LOL
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Look at JW Speaker 8700 series, they're full LED and are considered the best LED 7" round headlight on the market. The fact that chinese piece of shit copies the design says something. Not cheap but everyone who's used them rave about them, Jeep, truck and motorcycle guys.

The Chinese have been copying JW speakers for a while now.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Lol, taking the piss. Have ordered Raybrigs.

This guy wasnt joking though:
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Opens
    It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev. The gearbox is nicer than i remember the T50, but that could be because im remembering the race car not what it would be like as a sorted road car. I havent been in a 4AG powered road car for quite a long time, and the race car is a far cry from a road going vehicle. The engine basically has no power below 4500rpm...
    There's a reason why everyone just chucks a turbo on the side of the B6/BP motors, they're strong enough to handle boost and there's no real gain in power by over spinning them.

Gearbox should be super slick though if not there could be an issue with the gearbox.