Thread: Recommend me a standard car alarm

Recommend me a standard car alarm

Need to wire one into the MX5 for insurance and generally not getting it stolen. My previous alarm in the ute was a Mongoose M80s, which come highly recommended, but i had serious issues with the remotes. After a while the main button would just stop working. Electrically they were fine, but something was caking up on the inside of the push button switch. Plus the basketcase way the immobiliser circuits were done... spade terms, seriously?

What else is out there that is decent.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

also interested in this. I also wouldn't mind some suggestions on locations for a kill switch. WH statesman

Do you want alarm or just a properly easy to use immobiliser?
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Full beepy beepy squarky squarky unit. Remote and worth central locking capability.

Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    Have one of these in the Supra, works well and can tailor it to your needs.
    this signature intentionally left blank

Cant even get in contact with them, and their website is useless... next.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Thread dredge - any luck with this in the end?

Putting together some plans for wiring the Valiant now and sort of want at least an immobiliser and tracker.

Tracking's easy enough, and I'd prefer a proximity sensor immobiliser over a push button one.

Does squarky squarky really add that much apart from another thing to inevitably go wrong in a few years? Properly hidden and wired kill switch seems to be a better way to go - if only because they're not exactly mass produced.

Any suggestions?

I'll be doing the gps tracker, which I have from the pf group buy and a hidden kill/start switch for the Chugger.

Although trying to start a triple webered high performance six should be a pretty good challenge that would thwart most of today's joy riding yoof.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Yep. I was thinking that and one of the simpler proximity immobilisers from Mongoose like the M15.

https://mongoose.com.au/m15-detail.html

Immobiliser to discourage the casual theft, kill switch to confuse the professional thief and tracker when they inevitably manage to steal it anyway.

Your plan sounds like my Mini theft control plan - 'even if they can get it started the finicky gearbox and unboosted brakes will kill them at the first corner anyway'.

I have also gone the unboosted brake option on the Chugger as well, because it is a 70's hairy chested muscle car that real heroes drove on the track. That and brake boosters were only an option in those days and to keep the purity no booster it is....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    I'll be doing the gps tracker, which I have from the pf group buy and a hidden kill/start switch for the Chugger.

Although trying to start a triple webered high performance six should be a pretty good challenge that would thwart most of today's joy riding yoof.
    They'll battle with a manual transmission.

Have a Hornet which I got from JB on sale. Meh, does make a noise and has immobiliser circuit. Problem with it is it wants the main ign feed cut and spliced. Having a high current circuit go through a cheap immobiliser is asking for trouble.