Thread: WWPFD? Ground Up Car Audio Build for Valiant.

WWPFD? Ground Up Car Audio Build for Valiant.

I'm not even sure that anyone does this stuff anymore, but I'm probably a few months from sorting out the wiring for the Valiant and am making decisions on how to actually do the audio.

Bearing in mind that it's a complete rewire so I can basically do anything, what's the best way of doing this? Also bear in mind I'm not talking audiophile sound quality, I'm just after something to suit the build, in a 'bogan in the 90's who wants to play Cold Chisel loudly' sort of way.

Head unit will be in an enclosure under the dash, and needs to be double DIN and SVGA so I can use it as a Guageart display anyway. I'd prefer DAB+ so I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-avh-...reverse-camera

I don't really need any CD functionality, it will mainly be DAB or streaming. The reverse camera is a bonus.

For speakers there's room for I think a pair of 6-6.5 inch in the front kick panels. It's my understanding you want the best quality speakers in there, so I was thinking a Focal 6.5 inch split set, something along these lines:

https://www.ryda.com.au/focal-ps-165...t-car-speakers

And given the back is a bit more filler, something in the same brand to keep my OCD ok, but possibly without the split component to keep it neat.

https://www.ryda.com.au/focal-isc165...y-car-speakers

The tough decision seems to be how to do the bogan spec 'fully sic subwoofer' setup for the boot. I have inherited a box of two of the very finest 12 inch Alpine subs for free, which I'm tempted to use just because I was 18 in 1999 and they're free. Worth it, or should I just keep it simple and use a single 12 inch enclosed along these lines?

https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-ibf-...bwoofer-in-box

A sick part of me wants to use an old school tube subwoofer just for retro sake:

https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-ts-w...tube-subwoofer

I'm thinking the dual 12 inches may make amplifying a pain, they're probably fucked anyway, and I probably don't need that much bass for 'Bow River'. How the hell do you amplify them? Just a decent four channel for the speakers and a monoblock for the sub, or is it possible just to run the rear speakers off the head unit and bridge the rear channels for the sub with a four channel digital?

https://www.ryda.com.au/pioneer-gmd9604-car-amplifier

Suggestions/criticisms/brand suggestions/'what the fuck do you think this is, 1998?' comments welcome.

Gear choice is fine and basically irrelevant in the chaotic environment of a car interior. You are always better off spending less on speakers, because unless you go full retard with sound deadening and installation angles there won't be any noticeable difference. There is really no need for anything in the rear, certainly don't waste amplifier power on it. More clean amplifier power is better for everything else.

Don't buy the HU until the day you are ready to install. New models/discounts are highly variable and buying early will cost you. For amps/speakers not so much.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    What are you gonna use for an antenna? DAB+ can be a bit finicky when it comes to antennas...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

As above dont bother too mch with rear speakers.

Upgrading the hundy at the moment with 2 x Rockford fosgate 10" subs, 1 x Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amp and a pair of Hertz splits for the front.

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

Good call on ordering the head unit late, sounds like a plan.

The DAB units generally come with an under windscreen antenna, so probably just that. The original is long gone and the hole filed.

That head unit only has composite in (via an adapter), so your gauges from gaugeart aren't going to be super sharp; I'd be looking for something with HDMI
    Dirty Subaru owner

Well spotted, none of the Pioneer stuff seems to have a HDMI in!

Alpine looks like the have the only unit with the DAB and HDMI

https://www.autobarn.com.au/me24404

Can this guageart stuff display on an Android device? Might be better choice of headunit if you can get an Android based one plus gives a lot of other options.

Ring AJ for a chat. Hes cluey with this aids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

eBay for the original am/FM radio and speakers on the rear parcel shelf.

If ya gunna do it old school, do it 80's old school.....

I just went with a retrosound head unit to slot into the original spot and a pair of speakers under the dash.

The three webers and a side pipe will be more than enough music for mine

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Can this guageart stuff display on an Android device? Might be better choice of headunit if you can get an Android based one plus gives a lot of other options.
    Probably doesn't make much of a difference. I'm half tempted to forget the whole Gaugeart thing given the price of the adaptor - $799, might be best just to forgot it and use one a dongle and one of the OBD apps for next to nothing.

Or even install one the the new CAN Gauges:

https://store.haltech.com/default/ht...can-gauge.html

Though I'm not even sure that's necessary. If I need ECU data it's going to be to find 'why not going vroom' rather than anything live, so it could pretty much just be on demand.

If it's anything like the Mini rewire, Cracka, AJ will probably just do his own thing anyway! I was still finding hidden switches for about six months after he did that one. I'll give him a bell before I order the parts and see which way he recommends going about it.

If I had triple Webers I'd be putting in an AM only single speaker unit like factory. The outside is going to be factory original, the inside is going to be acres of leather, A/C and a decent stereo. The late models had pretty crappy interiors and this one has been full of water to midway up the doorcards, I'm not retaining much.

I put Focal splits in the front of my Falcon and they sound great. I was specifically looking for high sensitivity speakers because I run them off the factory head unit. Not a consideration in your case, but you may be happy enough with running them off your HU.
    I liked the Focals so much I also put a set in the Clio. In that case I run them off a JVC HU, with a 12" sub also run off the HU (it lets you bridge the rear channels for the sub). It sounds great to me, but it doesn't have the kick a sub should and wouldn't cut it in a bigger car.
    I'd be happy running your front and rear channels off a modern HU, and a mono amp for the sub. The mini class d amps look pretty interesting, you can stick it under the dash and just run speaker cables to the boot. I'm thinking of using one on the sub in the Clio.
    http://www.clarion.com/au/en/product...ion/index.html
    Otherwise get a 4 channel as you said, run the rear off the HU, and Bridge the rear channels for the sub.

Impedance might get tricky if running 2 subs off bridged channels of a 4 channel amp. Pick up an amp that's 1 ohm stable and if the subs are single 4 ohm coils or dual 2 ohm coils you'll be sweet.

Did you get anywhere selecting a head unit for this? I have a similar quandry for the E30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I think I'm going to go with the Alpine one because of the HDMI in:

https://www.autobarn.com.au/me24404

I'm much more used to and confident with the Pioneer ones but their features are a bit lagging these days.