Thread: Mazda MPV issues - stalling and hen no start.

Mazda MPV issues - stalling and hen no start.

Hi all,

Back again with dramas with the family wagon 2000 Mazda MPV 2.5L auto.

We've had some good luck for a bunch of years, car is regularly serviced, we run premium fuel when available.
    Recently had a miss due to a failed coil pack and spark plugs - these were all replaced.

2 weeks ago when driving the car stalled, just died at the lights and wouldn't start again.
    Had it towed to the local mechanic - who suggested it was crank angle sensor but the issue wouldn't occur while at the shop for 3 days.
    Since the part was $50 and easy to replace I did it and engine was running fine, starting without issue, all good.

Today we noticed it have a little miss and then same issue - engine stalled and then conked out - couldn't start it again.
    RACQ came out - engine at this point had no spark so wouldn't crank over and towed it home as it was Sunday arvo on Bribie Island.

Any ideas on this - the mechanics also mentioned that cam sensor could also contribute to this.

The RACQ guy siad auto electrician might be the best port of call for this?

Need this one sorted as today it was 35 degrees and with 3 little kids stuck out on the road - felt terrible for the little guys.
    Last edited by jgryder; 04-03-18 at 07:01 PM.

Start with the basics.

Check battery under load, check earth strap from battery and to engine block. Check that you are getting good fuel pressure and flow.

Then plug in a scan tool and check for codes.

Thinking about it, shouldn't have road side assist done that?
    Last edited by mizone; 05-03-18 at 12:26 PM.

Is that the 2.5l v6

Will be the distributor igniter failing. Itís in the distributor and you can replace with aftermarket or diy.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Is that the 2.5l v6

Will be the distributor igniter failing. It’s in the distributor and you can replace with aftermarket or diy.
    No code reading from roadside support which is weird as I would think it would be a useful tool for them.

The guy did say it was likely to be something in the distributor - so hopefully it's an easish fix? will check on ebay or wherever sells them.

- couldn't find that part but I just googled and looked on ebay?
    Last edited by jgryder; 05-03-18 at 04:44 PM.

Yeh fuck I just thought you were a bit shit at searching, but working backwards if it's a 2.5L V6, it's a GY engine...which appears to be only in your car! Not sure if a Duratec 3.0l part is interchangeable, Tridon don't list a replacement module

The GY is not at all related to the Mazda G-series 4 cylinder engines and is listed in this article strictly by engine code association. GY is the Mazda engine code for a 2.5 L (2,494 cc) Ford Duratec V6 engine which, due to an OEM deal with Ford, was built by Mazda in Japan for limited use in the 1999-2001 Mazda MPV. This Duratec V6 engine was in turn based on the original Mazda KL 2.5 L (2,495 cc) from 1991. By the late 1990s during the Mazda/Ford partnership, Ford executives had ordered Mazda to cease development of V6 engines and instead focus on a new range of 4 cylinder engines for both companies' benefit, which would become the MZR/Duratec lineup of inline 4 cylinder engines. The order to discontinue their own V6 development included the Mazda K engine, leaving Mazda the only option of employing later Ford V6s, which were considerably cheaper to manufacture.
    Quote Originally Posted by race6.3l
    Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Yeah Mazda 2.5l Duratec around that time was a development of the older V6 family unless it was the 3.0 which is more Ford than Mazda.

Either way Mazda around that generation stuck the ignition coil, an angle sensor, and the coil igniter (aka points but electronic) all inside the distributor, which used to fry.

No codes. No diagnostic except miss-firing, then total failure after a period of times where they intermittently stop like yours is. The root cause is the igniter.

Google ďKL v6 igniterĒ for a start and go for a research mission to see if the later versions replicate the problem. It was a common thing for like 8 years of that engines life.
    ---

In which case he'll need this one:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRIDON-IG...IAAOSwdxdZi9Qs
    Quote Originally Posted by race6.3l
    Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Great thanks for all of that..

So just open distributor, replace and profit?

well I still have an 18 year old MPV but you get my meaning, just need to hang on to it for another 12 months then new cars all round.

Yeah obviously double check they didnít switch to ford style 6-post coils and no distributor. But the symptoms and pattern of failure between the above and the Ford-like solution is the same.

The 6 post coil bricks do the same thing.
    ---

Yeah obviously double check they didnít switch to ford style 6-post coils and no distributor. But the symptoms and pattern of failure between the above and the Ford-like solution is the same.

The 6 post coil bricks do the same thing.

It has a single coil pack rather than the individual ones like the falcon 6.

Since it's off the road, I'll pull the distributor, check the part and order - thanks again.

Yeah Mazda 2.5l Duratec around that time was a development of the older V6 family unless it was the 3.0 which is more Ford than Mazda.

Either way Mazda around that generation stuck the ignition coil, an angle sensor, and the coil igniter (aka points but electronic) all inside the distributor, which used to fry.

No codes. No diagnostic except miss-firing, then total failure after a period of times where they intermittently stop like yours is. The root cause is the igniter.

Google ďKL v6 igniterĒ for a start and go for a research mission to see if the later versions replicate the problem. It was a common thing for like 8 years of that engines life.
    I did all this and info is a bit non-existent - so the distributor is going to live under the coil pack unit - which look completely different to the ones I see on google?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-CO...ZanACT&vxp=mtr

fuck I hate this car!

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Is that the 2.5l v6

Will be the distributor igniter failing. Itís in the distributor and you can replace with aftermarket or diy.

This x 11ty. I modified my old 626 V6 to run an ls1 coil. Beware Chinese eBay distributors. They only last a week.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

So rather than all this distributor stuff it's the igntion coil - oh easy, the part I have is still under warranty.

Will get them to send another one and see if I can play parts lotto again.

Isn't everything made in China anyway?

This is the Tridon one..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIDON-IGNI....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by jgryder; 11-03-18 at 08:12 AM.

Does yours have a distributor or does it use the multi coil pictured?
    It will be the igniter that has failed. Some coils have it built in (which is why I retrofitted an LS1 coil) so you need to make sure you get the right part.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Iím pretty sure in these Mazda decided to integrate the igniters into the coils while Ford traditionally used an external igniter with their coil packs (EDIS).

Either way the coil/igniter relationship on every one of these Mazda v6 variants has been shit since day one.
    ---

Yep. Early ones had the coil and igniter in the distributor with a pancake cap. The igniters crapped out regularly and were $900 from Mazda.

This model has the multi-coil no distributor by the looks of it and I've made a refund /return request to get it replaced.

I'll just order another decent one as obviously this is a cheap chinese part that will fuck out regularly. At the time I bought it I had no idea if it was the issue as I had it was missing on one cylinder.

Hopefully it will be sorted this when when a new part ships

Went to repco and upgraded the $26 ignition coil to a decent OEM part.

Car started immediately and running well now..thanks to PF!

Win!

Spoke too soon, got to delve into the PF Brains trust some more :-(

went well for a couple of weeks and now is in what appears to be something like a limp home mode - slow to start then feels like it's running on 5 or less cyclinders?

Surely it couldn't be the ignition coil again? the only thing that I haven't replaced in that chain is the ignition leads?

We had hoped to get a bit longer out of it but it may be not in the realms of possiblity..so again the whole family goes back to the ever reliable and ugly '98 camry which is not the safeest vehicle on the road.

Sat in it for a bit - started a bit sluggishly but ok
    in nuetral - revs fine, revved it to around 4500 and no misfires

Could it be the catalytic convertor?
    Last edited by jgryder; 15-04-18 at 04:46 PM.