Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The decade from basic S13 to basic S13

The decade from basic S13 to basic S13

Been lurking on pf for a bit and popping in occasionally over the years. With the death of other forums and my taste broadening over the years thought I might put up my shit here if anyone finds it interesting.

Before I go into it it's mostly Silvias with a few other bits and pieces along with dumb fashion mods and drifting. So if not cup of tea might not interest you.

So story starts at this (in finial form I had it)

And through a lot of different cars end up with this one at current moment. About 90% complete

Basic run down is I guess what you may call a 'restomod' it probably isnt, but for a Silvia it's closest thing I could think of to describe it
    Besides just a clean street car. But it is by no means a bear metal nut and bolt Resto.

Basic run down is all the usual bits, trying to keep it all genuine.
    Dodgy Bankstown wrecker sr20 that is somehow immaculate
    Tiny GTX
    Some long straight bit of pipe cut into a lot of pieces and welded back together
    Refreshed and rebushed suspension
    Good condition factory aero and returned to original seafoam two tone
    A bunch of new genuine Nissan parts that 2/3 of still not on the car

So yeah a bit of an introduction post and will probably start from the beginning with the white one

Bloody hell! You guys are coming out of the woodwork everywhere.

Welcome.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

We've all gotten older, less fibreglass drift pig and more stock body clean cars.

I remember you dropping off the Uras tie rods I bought off you (which I still have) in the white one. New car looks tops! I looooooove Pannasports.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidFlanders View Post
    We've all gotten older, less fibreglass drift pig and more stock body clean cars.

I remember you dropping off the Uras tie rods I bought off you (which I still have) in the white one. New car looks tops! I looooooove Pannasports.
    I wouldn't quite say that hahah, a set of origin widebody rocked up this morning

Yeah that was many moons ago, when first starting to get out of vls?

This is stupid and you should feel bad for your life choices.

So a Silvia wasn't something I always wanted.

When I got my red P's I drove my dads morris minor to school a few days a week as was only spare car. That lasted for about 6 months I

really wanted a CE lancer ( the one that was everywhere at the time) for some reason. Ended up getting a job and loan of parents and bought one, did typical P plater mods with little money I was earning Bob jane wheels, big stero ect. I was always really into music, but getting licence mad cars a big interest again. I started reading a lot of mags ( mostly hot4s lol) and planned to get EVO 6 after i got fulls, as I got my reds about 6 months after the no turbo/V8 laws come in. Anyway, finished school, started an Engineering degree, didnt last a semester as 2h travel each way 5 days an week and working fri night double shift sat and sun at restaurant burnt me out super quick so 'deferred'. Anyway started to pick up more shifts and pretty much working full time and what do you know, ol commonwealth bank noticed after a few months and got the 'you have been pre approved for loan up to 30K' letter. I lived about 1;30 southwest of sydney, and by chance a few days later on drive home country road inbetween my slit shifts at work there was a Silvia on the side of the road for sale.
    Now I remember them being in my conciousness as was a car I was aware of from games lile GT and magizine ect and new was weird to see one all the way out there. So pulled over and took the number down and ended up having a look at it later that afternoon. It was a stock Black CA auto turbo, so pretty much worse combination for me as was both auto and illigal. But took it for a drive and had a chat to the middle aged guy who had had it a few years. Decided I wanted one, but had to be legal as still had about 18 months of P plates left. So as corny as it sounds that random letter from bank and car on side of road pretty much the nudge off the cliff into the mess im in now
    not this exact car but get the idea

So after getting a 10K loan I was reay to go out and buy a Silvia.
    I really wanted a 180sx but being rare in NA I hit up a local shop to quote me up supply and fit a SR20de into a 180sx If I got a rolling shell....... they called me back a week later with 8K quote so I said fuck that.
    But being 2 years after these new laws came in the P plater tax was peaking hard, and NA cars had probably doubled in price. I checked out a autosalony baby blue onevia, but was CA, kitted and a bit dodgy and think he wanted 9.5K, kept looking.
    Then this one popped up on a forum, organised to meet him halfway at Liverpool KKs and checked it out. Really didnt know much at the time but didnt seem too dodgy, think the next day gave hiom a call. Dont feel like I talked him down much, but know I ended up paying 8K, which is probably about 9.5K in today's money hahaha. It is scary though that S15s are now as old as this s13 was when I bought it.
    Had exhaust, lowered springs that they all have that still looks stock, cheap 17s and an exhaust. that was about it. but in Aug 2007 it was mine.

As I was a P plater who had rear a lot of Hot4s did some questionable mods
    15 sets, Cheap steering wheel, swapped someone the 17s for some cheap 18s ( later to find out GT-C copies) nd gt what I later found out was rare velour trim for some white vinyl

Did a bit of driving and then around decided I wanted to do a skidpan to get used to RWD. I had known of initial drift from Alexi working at hot 4s so I got my shit together and did one of the beginner days. Was hooked and star struck when Alexi gave me some pointers hahah. There was a proper north circuit day on the next weekend, so got my CAMS and went to that and had a blast throwing around my car with open diff and stock suspension and now power with stockies on the back. But had a couple of close calls, even grazed tyre barrier super lightly (drift damage that did actually buff out lol) . I kept getting comments on how clean the s13 was and i didnt want to wreck it so i started looking into a tack car as didnt want to write off daily.

So enter the 180sx
    Last edited by (Locky); 09-03-18 at 09:55 PM.

Current rig is super clean! Love the Panasports. I have a set but they are way too big to fit my R chassis. Alexi is an awesome dude, gave me a few tips at Ebisu last year.

So unfortunatly for the 180 era Ive lost a lot of stuff due to forum collapses and dead link.

But got that at End of 2007 only a few months after getting s13 I had a low budget and this popped up. think it was pretty much the cheapest turbo manual Silvia/180 at the time not the best condition but it was running fine. Think I paid around 6.5 with 10 months rego
    Basically was a CA turbo, with a cat back and T28 that lagged till 4K. Stock dump, intercooler, lowered springs and a bleed valve.
    Bought some cheap 17's sparco wheels that one ended up being horribly bucked and costing a fortune to fix but straight away took it to track day at the oran park GP circuit. Not too keen to risk drying it around too much my dad was a champion and drove it to the track for me, and on the way home it got defected for some dome shit so lucky I wasnt driving. My dad did me a huge favor each time, luckily we were only about 30min from oran park so he would drive the 180 there, swap cars, then in the arvo he would come pick me up. so was only 'legal' way I could get to the track

Got the defect cleared and then decided I couldn't deal with the CA front anymore. No one wanted them or the lips at that stage so I traded with Miller ( from nopistons stories) for $50 off this knock off GP sports body-kit. Now the lips alone go for big money as about 2 years later people realised the lips look good on about every other bar/ nissan. Now people even want big money for CA bars as 'Rare'
    It was the peak of style

This was in the era of new clubs popping up so there was pretty much a drift day or skidpan at oran park every fortnight or more. Along with private practice on North available a few days most weeks for $120. I would pretty much go to a tyre store that would do me 2nd handies for $15 each fitted, get 6 and do as many days as possible. Pretty sure in the 9 months I did at least 20 days at oran park, and one at wakefield.

Would literally be spending every cent I had on drifting. I put a bride recliner in it, a water temp gauge ( the CA always was nearly boiling with stock rad) and just did every day. At one point I somehow bent a tie rod first corner without hitting anything. Tried to bend it back but bananaed straight away. no one had a spare but someone was nice enough to lend me their car and trailer to get it down the road so I could fix it another day. I went to put petrol as much as I had to my name to say thanks .... All $15 that probably didnt cover my trip.
    I dint spend money on the car unless I had to and only upgraded what broke. Was annoying see people linking north course on 2nd day out there with 240kw and coilovers ect when I had to get a perfect line. But made me a better driver body rolling my way into the corner with just enough power to hold it.
    Rare footage of that era hahah

This car taught me a lot. I dindnt know how to do an oil change when I bought it but learn by doing a lot of things just because I couldnt afford to pay someone and couldnt get it to them even if I wanted to. I got amazing seat time and learn how to skid a shitty car by improving my driving not improving car.
    But then when the rego was coming around I did the sums, the Ca had a bit of blow by and did the sums of a SR swap, coilovers, paint and few other bits and I was up to 5-10K at the time so as well as it had treated me, put it up for sale stripped back to stock beside the kit and eventually sold it.

Enter a world of pain.... the S14

Last edited by (Locky); 07-03-18 at 09:13 PM.

Your dad was MVP. My parents still expect my wheels to fall off my car, because I wont take it to a "real mechanic", nevermind take it to a track for me to thrash.

Awaiting next chapter in this saga eagerly.

You were on NS weren't you ? That forum is completely fisted now.

All the silvia forums are dead now. We had a pretty good community going at SilviaNSW and i got a stack of good skidpan events running at Oran (as per Lockys video) but people just drifted away, got sick of being hassled by cops, got sick of the swedes overtaking the scene, sold their car, had kids etc. Only the dumb ones stuck with the S13 :P

I wish i could remember all the dumb car shit i did, but I cant. Luckily nopistons has remembered all the cars i've had and the shenanigans so I dont have to remember anything
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

Quote Originally Posted by the big fist View Post
    Awaiting next chapter in this saga eagerly.

You were on NS weren't you ? That forum is completely fisted now.
    Yeah, had no car influence besides dad's old Morris minors and boss at time had a 4g63 (I think) swapped ce Lancer that was very autosalon and only saw it drive once.

So forums is where I started all my car shit, learn some stuff, probably regurgitated the same wrong info everyone else was.
    So I spent a lot of time on Nissan Silvia, silviansw and initial drift forums.... Probably too much, so shame it all died off

loving it, your s13 is perfect man

miss the glory days of ns

So before we get to the S14, best to get up to date with the S13. I manage to find links to photos that I thought I lost so some of this is copy and paste from back then.

In between all the drift days I decided I wanted coilovers for the S13. Its a street car, and everyone said Tein super streets were good for the street, super if you will. So put up a WTB and someone living in japan said he could get me some for cheap. So trusted this guy and 2 months later the coilovers arrive. I figure out how to put them in and then car is only like 1cm lower than before. I was annoyed as I wanted to lower it more. Later find out that need base height adjustment to go low and superstreets don't have that... newbie mistake

Then i tried to sell my silvia because of a new job i had a much longer comute and i didnt want anything to happen to it , then on the one day a week i drove it, a truck merged into me

So it was in limbo for a bit, ended up getting told it wasn't going to get written off. But the guy didnt end up paying his excess for nearly a month so work didn't start for ages. Instead of the panel beater worrying about getting replacement wheels (i was going to change them anyway) Made a deal for a bit of cash on top to fix the rust around the sunroof, shave compliance indicators, plug the boot holes and give the whole car a respray. I later found out the sunroof was just bogged and came back super bad 2 years later

They were about to put the badges and black pinstripe line back on, but after seeing it so clean I decided against it. Drove it home and one wheel had camber and other still straight. Turned out the knuckle was bent even though everyone told me "that is impossible they just snap". Put another one in and car was back better than before.
    So I was about to order some new rims, was saving up for some 4 stud XD9s, but as I was saving the Yen was crashing. the wheels had gone up nearly $500 as yen got to mid 60's. So I gave up on that idea. I had a R200 supplied and installed by a workshop that shared a warehouse with 'Up Garage'. It was otomoto's 2nd hand/ wrecker company that he had for a while run by someone else. Saw some wheels there and looked like the rear just might fit and the front with a spacer. they were 17x9 +43 (plus a 30 mm spacer so really 9+13) and 17x10+35 on the back. This was back in the day when bigger wheels and stretched tyres were just starting to be more common. But still running 10's on a stock body silvia was semi rare and no where near as much info on what fits and what doesn't like there is now ( yet people still want to be spoon fed).

So picked them up

and replaced steering wheel with something more tasteful

Then got some tyres conversation about putting 'tiny' 235s on 10's
    tyre fitter -"those tyres look a bit small, what are they"
    me-"yeah theyll strech a bit. there a 235 and theyre going on a 10"
    tyre fitter - "thats way to small, the side wall might blow out"
    me-"nah ive seen the same 215 on the 10s theyll be fine"
    tyre fitter -*gets out his book of tyre sizes* "see you can only put a 235 on a 9 at the biggest, this says you should put a 245, no a 275"
    me-"nah theyll deffenatly fit"
    tyre fitter -"youll have no warrenty though"
    me-"its a cash job anyway, just put them on if something happens it happens"

Even put them in a gage to inflate hahaha

So had the car looking nice

Last edited by (Locky); 09-03-18 at 10:39 AM.

I like this story, please continue

So the 180 went around august 08 give or take. Between that and the siliva had gotten me a job at the local autobarn, as seemed to be nearly everyone that worked there had one. It paid more than the restaurant but a month later got told store was closing 'temporarily' for a move and going to go have staff go to Wolli creek for a few months. But it was a new job enjoyed more than restaurant and stuck with it with move.

Paid of my loans then that allowed me to do the wheels ect on the silvia. But plan dumbly always was to go back to the bank and get a better base/ something more modded/ rather than drop 10K into the 180 to get to that point. Wanted something ready to go or something that I could get for less than 10 and drop a few grand into so I could have it a nice street/ drift car for 12-13k ish
    So went back to the bank got a 15K loan and was looking for a decently modded s13 with all the usual bits for the time or cheap series 1 s14 as no one loved them back then. The market as weird though with s13 prices being all over the place and none being stockish or mid teens and still needing work and s14 zenkis being 8-12K depending. Spent most my time at work trawling all the forums and usual places, a few cars seemed ok but don't think I looked at any.

Then one day randomly looked at boostcuising of all placed and saw a fresh add, along the lines of:
    S14a, purple, 19s, lowered, exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, Wollongong, 10K.

Was no pictures or anything but hit the guy up and looked at it quite soon after. was rough with bog crack in quarter and paint chipping off rear bar. But it was a series 2 for less than a lot of S1 were going for at the time. Talked him down to 9K and few days later boss came down and picked it up for me in early Nov

A few days later had go together a bunch of parts to install, fuel pump, bride from 180, enclosed pod, coilovers, pinapples, brake pads ect. Had a mate come around and help, and got coilovers done by lunch so thought take it for a drive 5 min down country road to check all good and get something to eat.

unfortunately was the once every 6 month trip that day for highway patrol

defected for
    pod, battery not secure, rear seat not bolted in, bov, brake light out, exhaust too loud
    I got red stickered because the seatbelts didn't retract quick enough. they still locked but didnt wind back quick enough according to him so i had to get it towed home for about 5 min costing $400 as was so regional

Also as I had about a month left of P plates left means I lost my licence for 3 months.
    So that also ment I had no job as no public transport where I lived and work was 1h+ away. So while waiting for my notice I put s13 up for sale As I had a 10+K loan. Being first sale got fucked around by usual type that I now know are dreamers but eventually sold it for 9K on stockies last few says of 08. Probably 2nd most car i regret selling

Then still did dmb things last month or so of job/license

As Rota/XXR/Junk was not around back then. Drift teks were all the rage as only wheel available in somewhat aggressive sizes . I wanted some genuine rims and somehow ended up buying Too much Boost's Uras NS-01 wheels of him..... Which was exactly what Drift teks were copies of haha

But then one of parents cars died so they needed to borrow it as a daily, so raised it up so mum could drive it for a while hahah

So I had never been a fan of the ADM bar, even with the lip, just never seemed to flow with the rest of the car. Knock off Verte was all the rage and go to at the time, but then even before I bought a s14 I loved this picture It was like vertex but not as out there/typical bodykit, I later gatherested it ws a JDM bar with greddy lip

So along the line i saw pics of the JDM car with different front bar and just looked right, I found an importer that had one with reo, indicators and fog lights and was willing to do it for $350 del interstate and was the right colour just with a scuff . Sold the S2 reo for $80??? as needed as everyone was converting there S1 to S2 so whole thing cost me less than 300. Now people want that for knock off FRP JDM bars
    Not saying I was the first to do it but was by no means common. I intended to do the whole 'JDM spec conversion

Also got a nardi

And went silly low on the car

Alos let a random guy off forum drive car on a cruise to mac pass hahah

Then license was gone
    Last edited by (Locky); 10-03-18 at 09:13 AM.

Alos let a random guy off forum drive car on a cruise to mac pass hahah
    When I first met car people from a car forum, I had no idea of the possibility that said car person from car forum would have both zero idea about cars and zero driving talent. Yes the first car person from a car forum whom I went driving with was kiddynamite. NS's equivalent to an rdyno/forg lovechild.

Unsure how I stayed in the car game

Are they Veilside Andrews rims on the S13? I didnt know they came out in a 4 / 5 multi-stud setup

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Are they Veilside Andrews rims on the S13? I didnt know they came out in a 4 / 5 multi-stud setup
    Correct, seen a few since then in 4/5 but a lot do have only 5. Or cant tell under the ugly cover hahah

So after having no license, no job, and being stuck at home as lived in middle of nowhere I started to go a bit stir crazy. Selling the s13 had paid off most the loan on s14, but not all of it, so sillily redrew on it to get a few things, then after 2 months of boredom and on the internet, I somehow came across this. Looked at it, bought it and organised a tow truck to drop it off a few days later.

Enter the car I regret the most I still don't have

It was a '71 240z, unfinished project "with everything there to complete it" which of course was not the case. Had a L28 and 5 speed that wasnt running at the time. But had had some decent jobs done like sections of floor replaced. Me as a silly 20y/o thought I was going to get it done in a few months to daily hahah

Did not a lot at first besides buy a pair of dumb wheels and service it, but then after getting back to work realising I don't have infinite time made it hard. But then one day with a bit of help managed to get it running finally, then with brothers help we dodged up a throttle contraption out of wood and cable ties and managed to drive it around house

Then with a tiny bit of money coming in from full time retail work and knowing it actually ran I got stuck into it. I came to realise that there were quite a few bits missing that took a while and quite a bit of money to find like usual.
    proper accelerator rod, bonnet latch, boot lock, tail light garnishes, Passenger window glass, window regulator ( had one but wrong type),tail light garnishes ect

So being a broke idiot I decided to rattle can it outdoors in a dirt shed with no idea how to paint anything, bog, prep ect.

got new rims for the front 15x7+5

The bit buy bit sorted out some wiring issues and replacing a lot of bits got it running better

rattle canned it panel by panel, got a new front lip and installed a lot of missing parts, and bits that were in the boot when I bought it.
    Got it to the point where it pretty much just needed an exhaust and the rear brakes rebuilt.

But then Had other things happen with S14, which smashed me and evaporated all the money that was ment to finish this off. I was at the point where I just needed a car to get from A-B and this was too far off being done, if it could get registered.
    So I dumbly decided this one had to go. Sold it just as prices were starting to creep up. Pretty much have no chance of owning one again now. Only time I drove it was the 500m up the road to go on a transport truck
    It was by no means a great example, but I should have just left it in the shed a few years and borrowed some more money. But as you see I have a bad habit of if projects arent making progress I get shits and give up.
    but yeah, massive regrets

But during most recent trip to Japan I finally did a day trip to Mt Fuji and hired one, L28, 5 speed ect. Gave me an idea of how much of a workout these things are to drive. I think I ever somehow come into a decent amount of spare money that may be gar I get again.

Douglas park?

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Douglas park?
    nah, out past thirlmere

And now I know where I recognise the user name from and the Zed confirmed it.

Do you have a screenshot of the ad you wrote for the white/multicoloured drifteks? Probably the best ad for a set of wheels I ever read. PF needs a chance to read it lol
    Kebabhunter

Honesty forgot about that... I think I've found it, will just need to fix pics and may post it lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrkebabs View Post
    Do you have a screenshot of the ad you wrote for the white/multicoloured drifteks? Probably the best ad for a set of wheels I ever read. PF needs a chance to read it lol
    Skipping ahead in the story, but wish is my command hahah
    Greeting ganger's and gangee's

Up for sale are a set of genuine Sparco wheels

In diameter they measure an awesome 17 inches which will look quite fine on many an automobile

They are a voluptuous 9 inches wide all round which means they can be suited to a GTR with chunky tyres, a Sil with staggered tyre sizes, or maybe even a hard parking Honda.

The Offset is a positive 20 all round as well, just like the baby bear, not too hot, not too cold..... just right.

They were originally an alloy colour at a guess. But have had the honour of being applied with an 'Art Attack' effect. This being a coat of Gloss white followed buy a variety of colours including some interesting ones like midnight purple and s15 aqua silver.

Even though they look like they are a million multistud they are only 5x114.3 .... a man's PCD

A bonus feature is that one of the rims highlights is a genuine Origin sticker. This was originally purchased in SA and was on biggies 180sx for all of 10sec before being applied to the rim whilst parked next to him at All Japan Day 2010. This could easily be removed if the buyer wished to spit in the face of history.

Some rims do have some gutter marks from track days/ getting on and off skinny trailers. It is hard to see from a distance due to the nature of the pattern. An advantage to the paint effect on the rims is that it could easily be touched up.

These rims drifted at one of the last track days at Oran Park. A mere fortnight before it closed the gates for good to make way for the ensure nightmare of traffic along Narellan Rd which is now known as Oran Park Town

The rims are not forged, saying that they aren't made out of lead either. So of a reasonable weight, better than your china shit and wont buckle the first pothole you hit.

Be different to every poser with CR-KAI's. People will be snapping necks as you park up with the wheels turned at the perfect angle for that hark park you just pulled off at your local woollies.

To be honest I really like these rims, the paint suits them to a tee. But unfortunately my new paint job doesn’t suit them. Will look mad on a white/black/anycolourotherthanmocha so they have to go. I would keep them but have just got delivered another set of Jap rims in the same offset for skidders. No room and im taking up all the room in my dads 4th shed and he doesn’t want to build another one for just my rims

Pretty much these wheels are great for
    Track days
    Skidders
    Daily duties
    Hard parking
    Generally being awesome

The wheels have a kinda weird wheel nut requirement. They kinda taper down. I will provide a full set of 20 12x1.25 wheel nuts to suit. I have the feeling they are similar to GT-C wheel nuts so you could probably source some to suit 12x1.5 if you are of that lifestyle choice.

I also have the center caps which look like those fake racing one nut things like on F1 and V8's if your into that thing.

Tyres.... Pretty much take them as no tyres, One pair have maybe a lap or 2 of skidding, the other none (I might have a spare pair below indicators that I could chuck in if you ask nicely/fit in my car)

What am I asking for these round cylinders of win, otherwise known as wheels.....
    $700

That’s right a measly $700 for wheels with this unique, this much history and this much soul.

The rims currently reside in the southern highlands NSW, but can meet in Campbelltown as a frequent the area if connivent for us both. I can also send the rims interstate. With it usually being anywhere from $150 to $70 depending on your location.

Anyway, here are some pics so you could wish you could have these rims babies.

Pretty much with these on your car you will lock it walk away and be like…

And everyone else will be there

Buy these NOW … and have many babies

Was 2011 but yeah quick sale on those hahaha

Lol

I owned a set of those badboys in that sizing, theyre sweet

Lol, top ad. For some bizzare reason I actually like the wheels.

Ain't even mad at the art attack paintwork in those wheels, fantastic.

Those are the wheels you purchased off me many moons ago right? I can't even remember how i ended up with them (along with most other things i end up with)
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about