Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Supra

New Supra

Thought id start a new thread on this....I watched the live feed unveiling. The Toyota spokesmen (Some Saffa bloke) went on and on about Hybrid Auris, Yaris and Hilux, but then spent 2 mins on the new GR Supra

Race Concept looks good, rear a bit weird.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/627071/...arousel&slot=0

Notice the 3 pedals, but no Shifter?

90 on the Side door...JZA90? (3JZGTE haha)
    Dash showing 320km, not bad

Side Profile for me is the best

Apparently its wheelbase is 100mm shorter than the 86 and is a true 2 seater, with no rear seats.
    Rumours of a BMW Powerplant. Listening to the unveiling they did have a sound clip that sounded so much like a 6cyl Turbo (Woop)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Pretty sure this is the BMW colab and as such BMW Turbo 6 powered?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Pretty sure this is the BMW colab and as such BMW Turbo 6 powered?
    Yeah, I have read M3 (335kw?) and under 1300kg? That sounds fun
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Looks far more similar to the old one than I was expecting. Engine is similar enough too. This makes me happy
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

PS. Toyota had confirmed if was a JV with BMW way back in the piece. I havent heard anything else specific about the engine though.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Im sure toyota will fuck the ride height and put 17s on it with fucked up offsets from factory. Not a fan of the duck tail boot lid thing but otherwise it certainly looks like it has potential

Will the road going version be wide body ?

Its a nice enough shape from the side, front is meh, doesnt really look like a Supra to me. Its a mix between Z4 coupe and 86.

Expect to be disappointed with the road going version.
    this signature intentionally left blank

roof bubbles are a nice touch
    This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

Supraholic
    Keen to see road going version, wonder if they'll bring back the RZ badge (hopefully not to be honest given Camry's now have it...)

Keen for wide body.

They seriously need to make it bold and stand out, the 35GTR looked tits - if they bring this down a peg for the road like they did the 86 and do the whole "made for tuning" thing, I would feel disappointed.
    '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Why they bring out these rocket bunny widebody race cars first, and then reveal the street version with 18s and a shitty offset and ride height is beyond me.

100mm shorter wheelbase is going to make for a small car, which is good, especially if it's sub 1500kg with 300kw+

If the reality turns out to be what they say it is. (the 1500kg 300+ kw) it should make for an exciting car. Toyota AUS needs to build another hot hatch corolla variant, corolla has been boring for to Fucking long.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    ^ Last time Corolla was interesting was ~1992 when Nissan had recently stepped in with the N14 and just stomped all over the Corolla ... and the concept of interesting Corollas was introduced when the only opposition had managed to squeeze about 60kW out of a turbo 1.5L engine.
    In hindsight (and looking at 0-100 of 10s and 17s quarters), I'm wondering if the rose-tinted glasses hindsight is just because nobody else was bothering with that stuff here; 205GTI's were way overpriced (and broke down before they got to the dealer), and VW may have badged an overpriced Golf as GTI here but it wasn't really a GTI.

I reckon they're scared to compete with Hyundai now, as they think they'll fail.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 07-03-18 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Because S14 should’ve been N14
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    Its a nice enough shape from the side, front is meh, doesnt really look like a Supra to me. Its a mix between Z4 coupe and 86.

Expect to be disappointed with the road going version.
    Because it is a z4, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    ^ Last time Corolla was interesting was ~1992 when Nissan had recently stepped in with the S14 and just stomped all over the Corolla ... and the concept of interesting Corollas was introduced when the only opposition had managed to squeeze about 60kW out of a turbo 1.5L engine.
    In hindsight (and looking at 0-100 of 10s and 17s quarters), I'm wondering if the rose-tinted glasses hindsight is just because nobody else was bothering with that stuff here; 205GTI's were way overpriced (and broke down before they got to the dealer), and VW may have badged an overpriced Golf as GTI here but it wasn't really a GTI.

I reckon they're scared to compete with Hyundai now, as they think they'll fail.
    Did you mean to say N14? And was the 1.5 turbo the Hyundai Pooper Scooper?

The Corolla Sportivo with the 2ZZGE was alright.

Nah, 2ZZGE Corolla was still lame. 140kW at 9000rpm, 65kW at 8500rpm ...
    Yeah N14, you must have edited my post to make it look wrong!
    “1.5 turbo” was the Puslar ET; which I believe handled better here than anywhere else due to local suspension setting input ...
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 07-03-18 at 09:39 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    On the positive side, the LC500 is the closest any manufacturer has kept a production car to its radical demo/show car looks in years, so Toyota (Lexus) can do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

If this is any indication towards what the production Supra will look like, then well done Toyota.

Shame I won't have the $100k it will cost when landed here.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    If this is any indication towards what the production Supra will look like, then well done Toyota.
    Shame I won't have the $100k it will cost when landed here.
    You reckon it'll be cheaper than the Mk4?

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    Apparently its wheelbase is 100mm shorter than the 86 and is a true 2 seater, with no rear seats.
    One thing that has always bugged me about the proportions of the 86 is the rear wheels are too far back in the body - have often thought pushing them forward 3 or 4" would fix that, guess i'm not alone!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    One thing that has always bugged me about the proportions of the 86 is the rear wheels are too far back in the body - have often thought pushing them forward 3 or 4" would fix that, guess i'm not alone!
    Damn you, I'd never noticed that before...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Supraholic
    Widebody looks all go.

YES!

'13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Mate that works as a mechanic at Toyota got an internal memo last month that said this isn't coming here. Toyota Au Facebook page couldn't confirm if it was coming here so I'm not holding much hope that we'll see it as anything other than a 2nd hand import like the A80.

The above is at Geneva, isn't it?
    I don't know that I'd write-off it's chances of coming here just yet, modern production methods & ADR's mean that if it's being sold in Japan they can make 'em for here with SFA extra cost.
    Biggest problem I see is if they see it as too expensive to sell as a Toyota, and yet not boring enough to sell as a Lexus.

There may be some kind of agreement with BMW so as not to cannabalise BMW's handfull of Z4 sales. Who knows.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yeah true; although I don't think Toyota Australia talking-heads would've been all enthusiastic about wanting to import it & saying it's on their wish-list, when it was unveiled at Geneva earlier this week, if there was an official "no" in place. Their only official statement was that neither "yes" nor "no" were confirmed.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    It just looks like a Honda Jazzed version of this. Coincidence?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Z4 looks better.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Toyota Australia posted about it on FB two days ago, so it would seem weird to then not sell it here.

100mm shorter wheelbase than an 86 plus packaging an inline six will make for very long-bonnet, cab-rearward proportions. Which will be good.

Gammaboy: I will probably notice that forever now, about the rear wheel placement on the 86. Thanks for that. 86 for sale, enquire within.