Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive paint messing up radio reception?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Automotive paint messing up radio reception?

OK, this is a weird one.

I had the rear bumper and rear spoiler on the XKR painted.

The AM/FM antenna is a foil-type thing, on the inside of the plastic spoiler, spoiler is a urethane material, the antenna is a stick on thing on the inside, fitted from the factory.

The DAB antenna sit's behind the bumper cover, it's also a foil but on a plastic frame.

Both these antennas are mounted where they are mounted because they are behind plastic, not metal.

Since having the bumper and spoiler painted, AM, FM and DAB radio in the car has gone to shit.

I swapped out all the DAB components; receiver, antenna, antenna amplifier, antenna cable, results are the same.

Can't swap out the AM/FM antenna as it is stuck on the inside of the spoiler, but I still have the old spoiler with the original antenna in it, reception is fine with that one plugged in.

The only thing in common here is that they have just been painted.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    They couldn't have rooted a cable or plug you haven't replaced?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Nope, have been through all the wiring, it's a reception problem, as in the reception is being blocked by the painted parts. Which I never heard of, and neither has anyone else I asked about this.

With the AM/FM I can actually improve the reception by moving around the rear of the car and standing in a sweet spot. I can make it worse by placing a sheet of alfoil over the antenna location.

The DAB reception is fine with the antenna removed from under the newly painted bumper.

It's like the paint is full of metal or something...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

With the new spoiler can you just disconnect the brake light in it, and see if it improves the reception
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Just drill some holes to let the reception in

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    It's like the paint is full of metal or something...
    It's metallic paint yeah?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

If it's a metallic finish then yes there are tiny bits of aluminium in there but I don't think it would act like a one continuous metal part - the plastic/polymer parts of the paint are usually non-conductive.

Are you sure they didn't use this?
    http://www.emraustralia.com.au/shop/...hsf54-5-litres
    Yes we Chemistry

I had the rear bumper and rear spoiler on the XKR painted.

Both these antennas are mounted where they are mounted because they are behind plastic, not metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. The metal content in the metallic portion of the new paint is blocking/messing with the signal being received?

So you put a new spoiler on it and painted that? What was the reception like with the unpainted new spoiler.

Maybe it's you, maybe since you started owning more flash jags you've become less grounded or something?
    Yes we Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    With the new spoiler can you just disconnect the brake light in it, and see if it improves the reception
    Funny enough, if I remove the brake light from the spoiler and let it hang, the FM improves a bit and doesn't seem to be affected by me moving around.

But there's no power going to the light.

And I mean walking around 3 metres away it was changing the reception.

Quote Originally Posted by big_pete View Post
    Just drill some holes to let the reception in
    I'm with you

Yes, but so was the paint on it before.

Maybe they overcharged you for the paint job.
    Yes we Chemistry

Yes, but so was the paint on it before.
    Perhaps the original paint had aluminium based metallic paint in it? Unlike the newly painted pieces, which maybe American based aluminum metallic?

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. The metal content in the metallic portion of the new paint is blocking/messing with the signal being received?
    It's just paint though, metallic yes but so was the paint on the old spoiler, and on the bumper before too.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    So you put a new spoiler on it and painted that? What was the reception like with the unpainted new spoiler.
    Never had the new spoiler on unpainted, but the old one was painted and has the exact same antenna in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Maybe it's you, maybe since you started owning more flash jags you've become less grounded or something?
    Hmmmm

Did they strip the old paint?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Funny enough, if I remove the brake light from the spoiler and let it hang, the FM improves a bit and doesn't seem to be affected by me moving around.

But there's no power going to the light.

And I mean walking around 3 metres away it was changing the reception.
    You can still get passive interference running along the cable, hence if possible disconnecting at the last known good point. May have a dodgy joint or some thing, have seen similar issues with power cable with mobile phone antennas
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Did they strip the old paint?
    Not sure about the bumper, maybe not.

But the spoiler was brand new out of the box, in primer.

I know a couple of other people who had the exact same spoilers painted in metallic finish, never had an issue with radio reception as a result.

One other weird thing, if I connect a charger up to the battery, the reception disappears completely, which it never used to do.

Driving around on roads I regularly travel, it's dropping in & out heaps, which it never used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    You can still get passive interference running along the cable, hence if possible disconnecting at the last known good point. May have a dodgy joint or some thing, have seen similar issues with power cable with mobile phone antennas
    Hmmmm, the thing with the battery charger has me wondering now, maybe they crushed a loom somewhere and it's shorting out power to ground?

Odd. long shot - did they bake it?

Might be time for something like this:

It is surprising how easy it is to block radio signals - a simple chip packet will block signals to your phone.
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Opens
    what is DAB?

Spotify.com will fix it.

check if there is any blacked out window A team Vans parked across the street - be the council doing wire tap and radio surveillance on you to get evidence for letting your dog shit on the footpath
    Last edited by 9triton; 09-03-18 at 01:50 PM.

I'm going with something in the paint, old industrial enamel used to have a high lead content, enough to mask uranium ore radiation emissions.....
    " Money is for those without skills"

Spoke to our JLR approved repairer and they've never had this problem. Weird one.

They use PPG.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd go with damaged harnesses. Panel shops often do this.

Well, make a note of this in the Weird Shit file, started pulling the bumper off, got the left tail light out and the radio sprang to life.

Well, make a note of this in the Weird Shit file, started pulling the bumper off, got the left tail light out and the radio sprang to life.
    Once the left tail light was re-installed, reception stayed strong/consistent?

Quote Originally Posted by TRH510 View Post
    I'd go with damaged harnesses. Panel shops often do this.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, all back together now, everything's fine.

The guy who did the painting knows how to paint, but disassembling and reassembling cars doesn't seem to be his forte.

When I first picked up the car the parking sensors and active exhaust weren't working, there was a loom unplugged in the boot, pretty straight forward.

Then I found some bolts and nuts missing...

And now I found the harness inside the rear bumper was just hanging, rather than clipped into place.

Honestly I got NFI what the problem was here, but it must have been a short or something putting battery voltage into the chassis.

Magnets or some other witchcraft

Lucas Prince of darkness????