Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automotive paint messing up radio reception?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Well, make a note of this in the Weird Shit file, started pulling the bumper off, got the left tail light out and the radio sprang to life.
    Because English
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Yep, all back together now, everything's fine.

The guy who did the painting knows how to paint, but disassembling and reassembling cars doesn't seem to be his forte.

When I first picked up the car the parking sensors and active exhaust weren't working, there was a loom unplugged in the boot, pretty straight forward.

Then I found some bolts and nuts missing...

And now I found the harness inside the rear bumper was just hanging, rather than clipped into place.

Honestly I got NFI what the problem was here, but it must have been a short or something putting battery voltage into the chassis.

Magnets or some other witchcraft
    Hmm, at least it was a simple fix. Unlike the broken wire in the door harness when the frogbox was repaired after it hit a 'roo.

Sucked in ya fucken posh cunt aye!

Hide yo' wife!!!

Radio antennas work poorly if there is a bad earth, could have been around the taillight mount when the coaxial shield was earthed to the chassis? If you have antenna issues again I'm happy to have a look at it for you

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    Sucked in ya fucken posh cunt aye!

Did laugh out loud in the middle of the mess at work 😂

Yep, all back together now, everything's fine.

The guy who did the painting knows how to paint, but disassembling and reassembling cars doesn't seem to be his forte.

When I first picked up the car the parking sensors and active exhaust weren't working, there was a loom unplugged in the boot, pretty straight forward.

Then I found some bolts and nuts missing...

And now I found the harness inside the rear bumper was just hanging, rather than clipped into place.

Honestly I got NFI what the problem was here, but it must have been a short or something putting battery voltage into the chassis.

Magnets or some other witchcraft
    All makes sense now, of course.

Experienced a similar issue after having a rear bumper re-sprayed years ago, in that the re-assembly wasn't completely right.
    Only found out some time later, after lowering the car and experiencing odd tyre rubbing, that the inner guard had never been secured back into place correctly.

You sort of assume they know exactly what they're doing, given that's what they do day-in day-out; but that's not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    It's metallic paint yeah?
    I was under the impression that modern metallic plate actually uses tiny bits of plastic for the "metallic" look, and not actual metal..?

The radio reception has been fucked on the nopic's Aurion and now that I think about it, it seemed to coincide with the repair of the rear quarter panel a year or so back. Kept meaning to stick my head under the dash to check it out but may be worth looking elsewhere...
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Ok now I'm confused.

I put the car to sleep, put a clampmeter on the negative battery cable, it's telling me around 400mA draw, put the clampmeter on the positive cable, it's about 130mA draw.

This makes no sense to me...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

DC is difficult to read with clamp meters. Stick the clamp meter over both the pos and neg and you should get zero.
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Ok now I'm confused.

I put the car to sleep, put a clampmeter on the negative battery cable, it's telling me around 400mA draw, put the clampmeter on the positive cable, it's about 130mA draw.

This makes no sense to me...
    I've seen this before. It occurs with multiple grounding/earthing in a chassis.

IMHO, and you know your stuff.. Check everything that was touched during disassembly and put it together as per the latest field service specs. Not the service manual. For example there is a Disco 3 field service for a piece of plastic on the glove box lid. Don't put it on there and your tail and dash lights disappear. Those things are weird which has me blown away at how you work on them.

Also - Has the chassis gal on it? Ask me how I know about weird arse electrical issues on cars with gal!

As for the antennas, even though you've got them sorted. Did you check for continuity of the antenna loop?
    Last edited by mizone; 11-03-18 at 12:31 PM.

OK, think I might have found the issue.

The giveaway should have been the FM reception sorting itself out with the LED brake light removed from the spoiler, and the reception changing with me walking around the rear of the car.

With the brake light unplugged everything is fine!

There is a "Noise Suppressor" capacitor wired in parallel to the brake light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 03-11-18 at 05.50 PM.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	105189

This is located in the boot, left hand side, the panel shop guy would have had to remove it to access one of the bolts that holds the bumper cover on.

Have checked the wiring from the connector it plugs into, to ground and to the connector at the brake light, it checks out well under an ohm.

With this suppressor plugged in or unplugged it makes fuck all difference to the FM reception.

So it must be fucked, and I can only guess that it crapped out when the guy unplugged it or moved it or whatever.

Fuck me...

Unsure why that would be causing an issue. The cap would just be to protect the LED light from electrical spikes, and would make no difference to normal operation and even then it would only be when the brake light was in operation.

My guess is that there is a wiring issue - something got plugged in the wrong way, or is not making good contact.
    Last edited by Dark Orange; 11-03-18 at 05:15 PM.

Just because the supressor doesn't make a noticeable difference doesn't mean it's stuffed.

And yeah measuring DC is very difficult with clamp meters. Zero in the same orientation that you measure preferably near the cable to measure etc. 130mA in one cable and 400mA in another is impossible if you are truly measuring at the battery terminals. Doesn't matter if you have bad grounds, broken connections or otherwise. I suspect it's more a measurement issue. Modern cars tend to have great big battery terminals/connections making it difficult to clamp all the wires at once - particularly on the positive. So make sure you are measuring everything.

Automotive paint messing up radio reception?

If I unplug the brake light, leaving it mounted in place, the reception is back to normal, that cap is called a suppressor for a reason?

There's 7.8V at the brake light connector with the ignition on, and battery voltage there with my foot on the brake. Not sure if it's meant to be like that...

Edit

I'm told it's meant to be like that
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 11-03-18 at 05:47 PM.

If I unplug the brake light, leaving it mounted in place, the reception is back to normal, that cap is called a suppressor for a reason?
    Yeah, because it suppresses voltage spikes. In this case, it would be protecting the LED.

Guess mode: Check if the earthing of the brake light is interfering with the grounding of the antenna. Does disconnecting the brake light from the aux junction box fix the problem?

I know you've all been desperately waiting for resolution to this problem.

So I fitted a new suppressor to the brake light circuit, the FM radio reception improved significantly, back to "normal" I guess.

The DAB was still a bit shit though, was better, but still shitty, especially compared to some of the newer cars I worked on this week.

While looking for something else on another car, I came across the software update for the DAB receiver module in the diagnostic tool, ran that, and the DAB in that car sounded heaps better afterwards.

So ran the same update on the module in my car, and the reception & sound quality is unbelievable now. I drove up to Richmond tonight just to see how the reception was and it was excellent the whole way! When I was up there last year to get the exhaust done (i.e. before the painting), the reception started getting patchy a few k's before the RAAF base, and since the painting it was dropped out completely by then. But after changing the suppressor and a steward y update it's all good now.

The whole thing leaves me frustrated and confused, but relieved at the same time.

I still blame Lucas, Prince of darkness.

But good to see a result that is positive.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    I still blame Lucas, Prince of darkness.

But good to see a result that is positive.
    I see what you did there