Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Flocking

Nah, i reckon ive spent all of $40 on this one, and its a good learning experience, always wanted to do it and for a $50 dash its a cheap learning experience. Plus i reckon i have enough flock to do about another 10 dashes.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

So seems I've got more money than sense. Instead of getting a Pro to do it, I'm all for giving it a go myself. I already have the flock and epoxy, don't spend it on coke and hookers so ordered one of these too..

Figured might use it again and on other peoples cars. If it's shit, it's shit and I wasted $150. That is about an average Saturday night out in my youth. Expensive fleshlight. At least it is 15kv and they showed it working on a dash..

Last edited by Nick; 30-04-18 at 11:53 PM.
    '06 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0R-B
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

I was chatting with a mate who has done a few dashes and he reckons some of my issue is with the clumping of the flock in the packet. He recommended buying a cheap rotary flour sift or similar and sifting the flock a few times to break up the clumps before putting it in the gun. Loose flock works better. Which is probably why the instrument cluster cover worked better than the dash proper as it used reclaimed flock.

Got the WWS flocker in the mail today. Tried it out on some tests.

Thick epoxy+dye looks ok, doesn't feel as good though as the normal epoxy+dye one. That was with a brush though. I have a feeling with a roller will be better so will give that a shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flocktest-9718.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	106374

Name:	flocktest-9719.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	106375

Name:	flocktest-9722.jpg