Thread: 4bt or 6bt into GU patrol

4bt or 6bt into GU patrol

Got an American mate here with a TB45 shorty GU patrol. Manual, 2 inch lift and 35ís. He drives from Dubai to Abu Dhabi daily and itís been a great reliable car.

He would like to take back to the states one day, but it wonít go back with the TB45 in it or at least it wonít stay in there long. A TD42 is an option, but then he is doing a conversion (although factory optioned) for an engine that was never available in America. Makes it hard to service and maintain. A Cummins makes more sense as parts are available etc.

So what is the current hotness in Cummins to patrol conversion kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Cummins ISF? http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...n-tj-wrangler/

A 6bt in a shorty would be like one of those nose heavy clown cars that can stand on it's nose and slowly tip back again
    Last edited by ls400x; 03-04-18 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    Cummins ISF? http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...n-tj-wrangler/

A 6bt in a shorty would be like one of those nose heavy clown cars that can stand on it's nose and slowly tip back again
    A modern 2.8 wonít interest him. He wants old school no ecu and displacement. I know the 6bt is heavy but a 4bt isnít too bad and itís not like the 4.5 is light

Last edited by vet 180; 03-04-18 at 06:10 PM.
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

4BD1T, or what ever the current version is? Stock motor is good for 50 psi apparently before you need to replace the head bolts. Enough Yank support?
    Ya'll don't know what it's like. Being male, middle class and white.

LS3.

/thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    LS3.

/thread.
    He is not interested in LS3. He would actually prefer a SBC.

4BT he would be happy with

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyblue View Post
    4BD1T, or what ever the current version is? Stock motor is good for 50 psi apparently before you need to replace the head bolts. Enough Yank support?
    4HK or 4JJ.

Not a lot of Isuzu in the states

More than you would think. But most N series run the V8 petrol or CNG engines.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cummins ISB4.5 is the only engine you would want to fit, 160kW/850Nm is pretty stout for a 4WD - but its a modern engine.
    But if he wants a mechanical engine then there is always the mechanical version, it just wont be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Cummins ISB4.5 is the only engine you would want to fit, 160kW/850Nm is pretty stout for a 4WD - but its a modern engine.
    But if he wants a mechanical engine then there is always the mechanical version, it just wont be amazing.
    Yeah he want a mechanical engine. He is very willing to sacrifice power for it

I actually agree with cracka and think he should go LS. Turbo 5.3 iron block would be my pick. Maybe I will try more to convince him...
    Last edited by vet 180; 07-04-18 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyblue View Post
    the yanks got these in n series trucks with auto. the auto is the jatco 4re03a (?) that the patrols got. it might be doable with a bellhousing swap. in the states, it's probably still possible to find a 4bt with a sbf or sbc adaptor and just use a conversion bellhousing onto the manual that's in it. the sump will likely be rear bowl too, which will probably help with diff clearance.

he may have to choose carefully which gearbox to use too. some were 0.85:1 5th, and some were 0.73. the taller ratio is better of course, and i think the petrols are geared taller (3.9:1?) which would be fine with 35's.

4bt moved my f100 along pretty well. sure, it was no duramax, but it pulled all sorts of shit and when empty or lightly loaded it was rare to have to pull it out of top gear. all while returning mid 9's/100.

also, i'm with dnegative about the isb4.5. they're pretty awesome. people spaz out over electronics, but they're fairly reliable these days as long as they're fed with clean fuel. if you shit the injector pump in a mechanical engine, you're just as fucked as if the ecu died.
    Last edited by briney; 09-04-18 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Tried automotive etcellence or aussie cummins imports on faceballs? Pretty sure they should be able to get all the gear required to make it happen. Even better being over there, your mate probably wont have to deal with asbestos bullshit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks