Thread: TT Alloytech V6?

TT Alloytech V6?

Are the V6 Alloytechs in the S1 VEs able to handle some boost?
    ECU's tuneable for it?
    Trans option?

Wondering if you added small ebay turbos for more low down torque (for towing, hills etc) plug a diff upgrade to something from a V8 would it last?

Yep, I could buy a V8 but CBF changing cars again.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    I think changing cars would be significantly easier but I still support your endeavours.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    darn it if only you asked this earlier when Rdyno was planning on doing just this very thing. and wasn't banned.

those dungers already tow fine don't they?

changing cars again will be much cheaper and easier.

saab did a version in 2.8 flavour that was built for boost.

http://www.schwedenteile.de/a28ner-a...m-pi-2552.html
    Last edited by Sloth; 07-04-18 at 09:17 PM.
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

I had an alloytech in a VZ SV6 years ago. (Big bore!) Was a nice car ergonomically but when it was dyno tuned with air box hardware mods the transmission started to make different noises.

This will need an upgrade to prevent wincing upon every throttle application with decent rubber.

If the twin ebay turbo option makes power, intercooler will become a necessity for repeatability, diff centre, rear wheels width/tyres.

Why I sold mine and bought an FGXR6T.

Chalk and cheese when you open the taps on a quick spooling 3576.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

From what I could gather, they had such a poor reputation in standard form that noone bothered doing any such things with them. Given the LS was available in the same car and it had no such issues, changing cars was the sensible option.
    " Money is for those without skills"

They respond well to boost, they actually breathe really well. Realistically they make up to 215kw, basically the same power as a VT LS1.

That said they are notorious for sludging up and stretching timing chains. ECU is tunable but I don't think so with boost, that calls for an upgrade. Also if it has a 5L40 behind it, that will be a massive cause for concern.

Yeah fuck it, I'll just put up with it being a sluggish shitbox that handles like a boat.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Interested bystander
    There are about 4 TT Alloytech's running in the unlimited off-road class here in AU, probably producing 700+ HP. To my knowledge, 2 of them run fixed cam timing and the other 2 run variable cam timing. Both the variable cam engines have broken cranks (now apparently both have billet cranks) and I think one cracked the block (now with a Cadillac block), so if you are chasing triple the OEM torque maybe aim for a bit less and it might stay together.

I thought the 3.6L engines would be over the 6000cc capacity limit with the 1.7 turbo multiplier, but I just did the maths and they sneak under (by less than a cc) if you use the 1% tolerance. If I was using one I'd be worried about being protested and the engine not measuring up...

BTW do the VQ35s or 2GRs have similar problems at similar power/torque levels?

Interested bystander
    mondo, to my knowledge the OEM cranks were destroked slightly, while the billets were made with the destroke. I think all the TT VQ's have aftermarket steel cranks, not sure about the 2GR's. A few VQ's broke cams a while ago but that doesn't seem to be an issue now. I think some 2GR's might have had valve problems early on. I have my own theories on that and the VQ cams but that is for a different discussion.

One thing is for sure about all the engines and that is they make power ridiculously easy, but then it is 3.5L before boost is applied so 1.2 bar of boost and E70 fuel will be solid power. The main issues are keeping temperatures under control on warmish days and having enough fuel capacity, especially for Finke.

Isn't there a 3.2l version of the Alloytech? or is that the one with the stupid exhaust manifold built into the head?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Gammaboy: Yeah also 2.8L versions, but I don't know if any where sold in Aus, I only ever seem to see 3.6s.

elfturbomax: I was going to say offset grinding the crank may have contributed to some of them breaking.

3.0 ones came in some ve and vfs
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Maybe it was the Alfa Headed/Badged alloytech that came in 3.2 then? Supposed to be a better head than any of the GM badged ones.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    Gammaboy: Yeah also 2.8L versions, but I don't know if any where sold in Aus, I only ever seem to see 3.6s.
    They sold about 4 here, but the previous model Insignia was a 2.8 twin-turbo Alloytech, probably very similar to the Saab version.

And Gammaboy, yep the only 3.2 was the Alfa version, AFAIK.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.