Thread: brake line tools. What's not crap (hard lines)

brake line tools. What's not crap (hard lines)

Have seriously had a brain meltdown and totally stuffed the front brake lines on a project so I need to make new hard lines.

It's a 70's mazda and the brake tubing is 5mm OD. NFI what the thread pitch is on the fittings.

Where can I get some tubing from (ideally in Melb or have it shipped) and where can I get a decent non crap brake hard line bending tool and then a flaring tool? I need to make two front lines for this project and then a few more for another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

I just used my roll cage to bend my brake lines. Was only using standard bundy tube but worked fine and easier to get the exact bends where I wanted them then using a bending tool. Just pull the tube around the bars and bends perfect. Can even do full 180's.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I managed OK with the cheapest bender and flaring tool money could buy from eBay (was black with red handles), hard line should be easy to find, just google or ring around.

EDIT: similar to

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180-3-in...gAAOSwUwFaQhBp

and

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flaring-...IAAOSwsTxXkinB

I think the flare tool was cheaper than that worth getting a better one as it took a fair bit of fucking around to get workable flares. Was good for putting bards on fuel line too though.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 16-04-18 at 08:37 PM.

Pollitically incorrect
    Reece/ tradelink etc etc?
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

There's a brake place in Derrimut that has everything... but they only do wholesale.
    Last edited by Paddington; 24-07-18 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

I have a dual action flarer and bending tool. Also ABS chains sell the ferrules and bundy.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

trailer shops sell pre-made lengths

Any brake shop should be able to sell you a length of 6 metre bundy tube.

I just bought a roll off these guys -> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/x-TRAILE...D/251866647234

Flaring tools aren't worth buying unless you buy the good ones for around $350, have used this model and they make it so easy -> https://www.eastwood.com/professiona...ring-tool.html Alternative is just bend the lines and take them to a brake shop to flare.

For the 90 bends, use a glass for non tight bends, for everything else, buy one of these -> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Tub...1/292144807549
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    this looks good for the price, no experience with this type but it looks harder to make than the one I linked above so i guess it will work better. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...QAAOSwB9JZciRz
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 16-04-18 at 08:52 PM.

Title pending
    Pro tip
    Find a brand of bundy called Reliance... its distributed by Brake Parts Aust in QLD
    Nice stuff... easy to flare and bend... won't even need a bender
    And buy a decent flare tool... like the Eastwood vice mounted one... if your going to do flares in the future

If your doing a few quick jobs... that $52 one will do
    Location Perth Western Australia

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    I recently got that cheapo one posted above. Works great for the price, much quicker to use than my more expensive universal pipe flaring kit.

Those ebay black red specials suck balls... ok for 1 or 2 occasional uses but not overly great ..

ie thread on the screw thing galled up pretty much straight away drilled and tapped it out machined a larger bolt to size and the cone on the end will not stop spinning when doing the second part of the flare.

The good part is very small length needed to do the flare.

Ive got a real old school meco one also that is well worn but does the job

Ive got a bender from repco is like a set of pliers that wraps the pipe into a die.

Opens
    Ive got a wurth turret flaring tool, but im planning to buy one of these too.

Would making on-car changes way easier. $40 is dumb cheap..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/jimy-Pro...19.m1438.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post

Damn, that is pretty good. Especially given the price.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Same price at Supercheap too. So if member/trade you get it for less.

We had a guy come in to do a cut and shut on an abraded brake hard line
    and when he left he went straight next door to Supercheap and bought one.

Its a direct copy of the Eastwood one.

edit. or is it the Toledo one, one of them anyway
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    Same price at Supercheap too. So if member/trade you get it for less.

We had a guy come in to do a cut and shut on an abraded brake hard line
    and when he left he went straight next door to Supercheap and bought one.

Its a direct copy of the Eastwood one.

edit. or is it the Toledo one, one of them anyway
    Nice. Pity it doesnt come down any on Club price, probably only Trade. Plus the shipping is more from SCA given its an order in item.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

i made an adaptor to hold your worth flaring tool, to do some on car in situ. Big old bit of nb40 pipe, few bits of rhs as a clamp, and a few bend options on the nb40 to position as needed. Worked fine now itís in the dirt and the dog plays with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Nice. Pity it doesnt come down any on Club price, probably only Trade. Plus the shipping is more from SCA given its an order in item.
    yes online says online only, but Browns Plains said they had just started carrying them in stock as of week before last and had 7 on the shelf.

It only comes down a little with trade card.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Can highly recommend Tim's Wurth unit. Works most excellently.
    I wonder if there's a version of the jimy that does bubble flares?
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 24-04-18 at 07:19 PM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Opens
    I donít even remember loaning it to Cracka and gammaboy. Glad it gets some use though!

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    yes online says online only, but Browns Plains said they had just started carrying them in stock as of week before last and had 7 on the shelf.

It only comes down a little with trade card.
    Cool, ill give Maribyrbongs a go then.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Can highly recommend Tim's Wurth unit. Works most excellently.
    I wonder if there's a version of the jimy that does bubble flares?
    You could cheat with that one as the first flare you make is a bubble flare, which you then drive inside itself for the double flare. The problem is in the seating though, you wont be able to do a proper double flare with a die that has a DIN shaped seat. It's square where the SAE one is tapered to support the flare being formed in the second punch as the bubble is pressed inside itself, so the lead in to the bubble will be tapered instead of squared off. You can still use tapered SAE flare nuts and they will tighten down a bubble flare without crushing the head. But if you use proper squared off DIN brake nuts for bubble flares without using a DIN die, it can crack the tube when you tighten the line as it tries to flatten the back of the bubble flare when it tightens. Kinda dodgy these days using SAE nuts on a single SAE flare, but it does work as evident by the hordes of old british cars driving around like this. Once tightened, if it doesn't fracture the line, I think people would be hard pressed to tell the difference though.

Ive got a turret one too, the difference is the die is reversible. Has SAE seat on one side, ISO/DIN on the other.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 25-04-18 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.