Thread: Motec M84 people in here please.

Motec M84 people in here please.

I have an M84 on an LS and am out of auxillaries. I can't find a definitive answer about whether you can reconfigure unused injection or ignition outputs as auxillaries. Anyone?
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

no you cant
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Opposed to the PFAD Bill
    checked in software, software says what he said^

Opens
    But motecs are a professional ecu. Ask tard-mx61

Opposed to the PFAD Bill
    $4000 gold box is good for one thing:
    selling on ebay/gumtree and getting an ECU that just works.

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Beer sprayed on monitor, bastard.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Wow feel the love...

Quote Originally Posted by tosser510 View Post
    Actually I said Haltechs are not I did not say Motec's are...

Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    $4000 gold box is good for one thing:
    selling on ebay/gumtree and getting an ECU that just works.
    If you paid $4k for an M84 your definitely Gumtree spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

You haven't specced it to have a tacho and two lambdas yet. Then it is a $4k ecu.
    Seriously though, it is kind of taking the piss having 8 injection and 6 ignition and then not allowing the spares to be auxillaries.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    You haven't specced it to have a tacho and two lambdas yet. Then it is a $4k ecu.
    Seriously though, it is kind of taking the piss having 8 injection and 6 ignition and then not allowing the spares to be auxillaries.
    Dual Lambda is <$200 on the M84, yes its shitty spec and they should of been a bit more flexible (pun intended for lack of flex fuel option) but its M800 reliable and a fuck load cheaper than the $4k number people splash around for the M800

What are the 8 outputs it comes with being used for?
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Stepper, Lambda heater and fuel and thermo.

I had the same issue, I fucked off the stepper for a Ford IAC...

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    I had the same issue, I fucked off the stepper for a Ford IAC...
    shouldnt have to do that...
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    shouldnt have to do that...
    From Motec's point of view it is what it is Cheaper ecu that runs an engine really well and that's it for a basic track car it's fine, if you want to start doing extra stuff you buy the M800 and spend all the dollars it's only a problem if you get sold an M84 thinking its an M800...

You should be able to use the unused outputs for auxillaries. They are there, you paid for them, you should be able to use them, just like all the cheap ecu's that are not as good.

Opens
    Recyclable outputs fail aside, no flex fuel support?. I'm not up on motec ECUs but I'm guessing it's a few generations old for such an omission?

Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Recyclable outputs fail aside, no flex fuel support?. I'm not up on motec ECUs but I'm guessing it's a few generations old for such an omission?
    One of the motec guys can probably give more detail but the M84 as i understand it was locked down to simplify support and minimise complexity to hit a $2k price point and fill the gap left by the no longer available m48 that was still in demand in some markets.

some people just see a Gold box and think its a fully unlocked M800 for a 1/3 the price and then can't understand its intention, Poor marketing on Motec's part is definitely part of the issue though.

The only reasons I got one for a street car was it was cheap, had same reliable hardware and I had a TCU that had a stack on inputs and outputs, other wise I would only use it for a track car or a boat.

If you understand it's limits, value the motec i2 Software and reliability its a good ecu.

The M84 was designed to bridge the price gap between our M800 ECU and the cheaper brands.

The decision making process was one of what features can we leave out from the M800, the justifies a significant price drop from M800, whilst still being competitive with the other less expensive ECUs on the market.

If we didnt pull enough out, the M800 sales would suffer too much, if we pulled too much out, then it wouldn't be good enough compared to the competitors.

This discussion was long and involved and took many months.

In the end, we made it less flexible (with fixed pin usage) as this has a twofold effect. It makes it simpler to setup for less experienced users (it works one way only) and it also reduces support calls which comes with more flexibility.

We included all the options that most people want (full wideband lambda with LSU 4.X and NTK sensors) and decent logging in the cost.

We then priced it at $1925 inc GST, which was in our opinion, a good price for the features that it had.
    an M400 (4cyl only) is $2828, m600 (6 cyl only is $3177) and M800 is $3527, none of these include either logging or lambda.

So the m84 can end up under half of the price of an M800, as such it has to have less features.
    So, limiting the use of the unused ign and inj outputs is one of those limitations.

Something of note is that an M130 GPA ECU is the modern MoTeC M1 equivalent to an M800, and is $2860, and it has logging at that price, but not lambda in that cost. The M130 has proper onboard knock control, CAM control, DBW and Logging in the price, which is optional on the hundred series. So an M1 ECU, the most modern ECU, is actually cheaper by quite a lot than an M800, and not much more than some of the other non MoTeC options.

Anyhow, I hope that answers how and why the M84 is what it is...

with a Mx00 series Motec, if you have to ask about a pretty standard feature (in 2018) because you can't find it, its about to cost you money.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 10-05-18 at 01:50 PM.

Oo___oO

I suppose that's because they've been on the market for 15 years and the end user requirements have changed; they have been superseded by the M1 series for 6 years.

Burn is weird... that is probably fair to say, and we do recognise this.

Features that were very high end in 2000 when the M800 was introduced, such as VVT and DBW are now common place.

I think that you will see that we have recognized this with how the M1 series has been implemented.

Thanks for the explanation Cossie55. 8 outputs is quite reasonable, the stupid stepper idle is (literally) half the problem but I am dealing with an already purchased and semi implemented setup so have to deal with it.

Can the ecu output generic CAN or is it motec specific?

The m84 has a fixed can datastream, which is in an industry standard can format. It is fully described and available if you need it.