Thread: Lance - The World's Slowest Race Car

Lance - The World's Slowest Race Car

Team PF

Thought I’d put this post up to share the story as we go of what can only be described as one of the worlds slowest race cars. A group of us came together to purchase this thing recently (there are about 8 of us, some lurking on PF…).

The previous owner had prepared & used the car for basic entry level motorsport events like motorkhanas and what not. The car is pure filth, but has most of the basics done for motorsport. Cage, seats, harnesses, suspension, wheels / tyres, and the motor itself is apparently the VRX version which is 2.4L not 2L? I think? But you wouldn’t know it.

We intended to race it in 24 hour of lemons but with careful consideration realised that it really wasn’t the style of event that we wanted to go to. We’re all up for having a heap of fun (this is why we purchased this) but we’re more keen to have fun on track in a traditional setting where we don't need to wear underpants on the outside of our pants to fit in.

Once we picked up the car the tyres were shot and the wheel alignment was completely out so we did that and hit the track at SMSP for a shakedown. Cool sounding term, but not for this car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27867054_10157196010791038_7966325314981691198_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	106211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28058461_10157196010826038_6089196210968403434_n.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	106212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27867514_10157196010801038_2738837587523885559_n.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	106213
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au
    www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
    If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Might be able to fit into the cheap car challenge?

Edit: If its the 2.4lt it wont fit. max capacity is 2.0

Oh and we figured the name "Lance" was fitting for a piss coloured Lancer as inspired by Lance Armstrong himself. We still need to find a way to cheat with performance enhancing drugs but we'll get there.

SMSP was heaps of fun but the lack of velocity was almost terrifying.

Name:	IMG_8206.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	106214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8208.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	106215

And the noise was horrific. It has a completely straight through exhaust and we've had some interesting debates on as to if this is detracting performance due to lack of any mufflers. What is backpressure? We should probably put a turbo on it instead. At this stage it probably sounds like I'm just rambling and whigning, so we prepared a video which captures the soundtrack. Watch at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mje9...ature=youtu.be

It was making some horrible noises on fast RH corners under load (you can hear it in the video). We made some bush mechanic modifications to try and fix it but unfortunately in vain as it was just a busted CV. We pressed on, and session we fixed that, plus put some new pads into it as they were almost cooked.

Name:	IMG_8210.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	106216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8211.JPG 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	106217

From memory best time was a 2.02 full circuit. Plenty a bit of time in it, but let's face it this isn't going to take out WTAC.

We've entered it for Notta GP on 1st July up at Lakeside so that should be a fun trip. Will do another "shakedown" private practice session at SMSP end of May to make sure she is robust enough to survive 6 hours of track time.
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans
    If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    Might be able to fit into the cheap car challenge?

Edit: If its the 2.4lt it wont fit. max capacity is 2.0
    We were thinking that. I have no idea if its actually a 2.4L, I suppose we should look into it. I feel like it might be faster with a 2L...
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

DAT SOUND!

Slow motorsport is still more fun than no motorsport.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    We were thinking that. I have no idea if its actually a 2.4L, I suppose we should look into it. I feel like it might be faster with a 2L...

The catch is, it will depend on what the chassis came out with. If it came out of the factory with the 2.0 and you put a factory motor in, you may qualify to enter. If it was a factory 2.4 chassis you wont be able to enter, even with the 2.0lt fitted.

Cool as sounds worse than a straight through moo

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Hi, I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    [QUOTE=TJ;Slow motorsport is still more fun than no motorsport.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be at 10/10ths hustling a slow car as fast as I can, than be at 11/10th in a car and be nowhere near it's limits

Nice Lambo. Love that colour

Need to get into 6 hour regularity relays. Perfectly suited to slower cheap cars. You have missed the SMSP one, not sure if there is a Wakefield one? Or come down to Winton in October like lots of the NSW MX5 guys do.

Thread on lambo?

Good base for cutting heaps of laps
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Lambo is sold...

Will look into the 6 year (ok hour, may seem like year in this thing) reg races thanks for that

Got some stickers from Neil_se to throw on hopefully this weekend, because all racecars need sponsorship. Hope to add many horsepowers.
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

If you're sticking with calling it Lance you should get one of those brass nutsack tow bar things on the back and cut one ball off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Hi, I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    If you're sticking with calling it Lance you should get one of those brass nutsack tow bar things on the back and cut one ball off, and fit a stealth nitrous system.
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    If you're sticking with calling it Lance you should get one of those brass nutsack tow bar things on the back and cut one ball off.
    Haha - that is gold!

Car had another session at SMSP trying to avoid faster cars with a couple of the team who hadn't driven it before. Next weekend the Notta GP 6 hour is on at Lakeside. Going to be a busy weekend towing it up on the Saturday, racing on Sunday 1st July, and towing it (or whatever is left of it) back on the Monday.

Anyone who is going to be at the track on Sunday make sure you come say G'day & don't be a stranger!

Last minute preperation.... of course this had to happen! Big thanks to Neil_se at Signs on Time it was really easy to throw these on.

Name:	IMG_8144.JPG 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	107072
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

Are you aware of Lakeside's noise restrictions?

Yeah noted thanks - it had a gaping hole in the exhaust so we've fixed that and we've put a muffler on it to hopefully keep it under the limit. Fingers crossed!
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

Is that a popped collar on a pink shirt?
    #teamtremolo

It's mauve

Proper (looking) race car now.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Is that a popped collar on a pink shirt?
    Haha! Not quite up to TJ standards, it is the cheap east cost rip off version, faded purple with floppy collars. A real go to shirt for me, I wear it every time I apply stickers!
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

It was making some horrible noises on fast RH corners under load (you can hear it in the video). We made some bush mechanic modifications to try and fix it but unfortunately in vain as it was just a busted CV.
    You named it Lance, so it mislead you

Typical Lance! All ready to head up pre-dawn tomorrow morning now. Pretty excited. Hard to put into words how exciting this thing is to drive.
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

Haha! Not quite up to TJ standards, it is the cheap east cost rip off version, faded purple with floppy collars. A real go to shirt for me, I wear it every time I apply stickers!
    Proud of your effort either way!

#teamtremolo

Well, it was actually an awesome weekend driving this thing up at Lakeside in QLD over the weekend.

Turns out it isn't the fastest race car on the planet, as we were actually the fastest car on the track. New muffler and hole in exhaust worked a treat and we didn't get thrown off for noise. Managed the event on 2 tanks of fuel, a single set of used tyres and pads. Absolutely nil mechanical complaints or crazy off track excursions which surprised us all.

Official Natsoft:
    http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6497286...904.85X/View?1

First time we've done a regularity event and clearly no entrants respected the rules and just did whatever they wanted to. Which is fine, we only realized this at the end and had a decent crack at it then. We had 6 of us driving which I reckon was the right amount of driving.

We'll definitely look to do an event like that again. Perhaps something closer to home given the time and effort required to cover 22 hours in a tow car up to QLD & back!

We are eyeing off some coilovers and a set of lighter wheels/tyres (XR6 rims are not the lightest thing out there, or ideal offset). Reckon that it'll pick up a fair bit of speed with those changed. Aside from that we'll probably need to do the gearbox fluid at some point but it is ready for another round!

Name:	IMG_8250.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	107192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8249.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	107193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8248.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	107194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8251.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	107195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8252.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	107196
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

As there was great interest in this iconic race car it is my unfortunate job to inform the world that the decision has been made to move on, and Lance has been sold. We'll never forget how obnoxious he sounded with the exhaust leak, or how ridiculous it was that it set the fastest lap at Lakeside Notta GP 2018, or the understeer.

Hopefully the new owners will put it to more use than the neglect the he was subjected to, stored on his lonesome in a rented garage.
    Find your Freedom

Click for PF Loans

As there was great interest in this iconic race car it is my unfortunate job to inform the world that the decision has been made to move on, and Lance has been sold. We'll never forget how obnoxious he sounded with the exhaust leak, or how ridiculous it was that it set the fastest lap at Lakeside Notta GP 2018, or the understeer.

Hopefully the new owners will put it to more use than the neglect the he was subjected to, stored on his lonesome in a rented garage.
    Nooooo

Long live lance!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Where was the PF for sale ad?! We messaged you right after you sold it. We need a lemons car to beat on hard and this was perfect!

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    Haha it was called lance because it's a lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.