Thread: Android compatible head units

Android compatible head units

So apparently you can now get head units which can connect to your Android phone via USB and play music that way, instead of doing it via Bluetooth, while also charging the phone and being able to remotely control it etc. I knew it was possible to do this with iPod/iPhone for ages, but it seems the Android equivalent is relatively new (either that or I just haven't been paying attention). Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm having a lot of trouble getting info via Google because I keep getting search results for those extra fancy head units with Android built in and its own touch screen etc, which I definitely don't want.

Ideally I want something with only 2 possible sources: the built in radio receiver, or audio from my phone via Bluetooth or (preferably) USB. CD player is completely unnecessary, I haven't carried a CD in any of my cars for something like a decade. What would PF do?

What would be really ace is a head unit with a USB port on the back. So far everything I've seen has only one port on the face, which is going to be annoying if you make a habit of removing the face every time you park the car somewhere (which I do). It would be great if I could have a permanently attached USB cable going from the back of the head unit to my phone cradle. Does anyone make such a thing? And if not why the fuck not?
    Norbie!

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    It's called Android Auto.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    It's called Android Auto.
    Yeah, been around for some time......I used it in a rental car in Canada a couple of years back.

Sounds like he doesn't want Android Auto though (no touch screen).

Something like this can control an Android Smartphone without the touch screen. Has dual USB too so one will be on the back. I put a cheaper version in a 2005 Hilux today, but mine only had a front USB. Controls Spotify on Android via Bluetooth fine on my Galaxy S8.

https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/deh-x7850bt/

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...iABEgLpVfD_BwE

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Pioneer DEH-X8750BT - Single DIN CD Player with Bluetooth, USB and Aux-In. Supports iPod/iPhone Direct Control, Android Media Access and MIXTRAX EZ

I guess the Android Media Access is the feature needed then?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I've got an older model of this. Does what you want except the USB is on the front. Surely someone makes something with it on the back.
    https://www.ryda.com.au/jvc-kd-x351b...media-receiver

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Sounds like he doesn't want Android Auto though (no touch screen).
    Yeah I know about Android Auto, but it's way too fancy for what I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Something like this can control an Android Smartphone without the touch screen. Has dual USB too so one will be on the back. I put a cheaper version in a 2005 Hilux today, but mine only had a front USB. Controls Spotify on Android via Bluetooth fine on my Galaxy S8.

https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/deh-x7850bt/
    Hmm, couldn't find any pics of the back of the unit but the user manual mentions front and rear USB, so it looks like this one could be a winner! Many thanks.
    Norbie!

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    I can’t quote model numbers, but the ~$100 Kenwood I bought for the VS (so 3-4 years ago) had no removable face but a USB port for connecting to & charging the S4 I had at the time. Maybe base Kenwood (and not bothering to remove the face ‘cos who steals a $100-new head-unit) is the answer? It had a CD player in it, they may not these days.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Mechless headunits are pretty common these days, I'd almost say easier to find than ones with CD/DVD players. Same with headunits with USB inputs, I put a cheapo Pioneer in nopics' Colt years ago which had a USB on the front, may have had another USB on the back but I don't recall.

A month or two at most away but thinking of purchasing one of the Kenwood 9018DABS units just to simplify stuff. Has anyone tried one or otherwise compared to maybe a similar offering from Pioneer?
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?