Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The really really big dirt bike. BMW1200 GSA Rallye.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Didnít realise the amount of technology packed into bikes like this.
    Get this - they're fucking CAN Bus too.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Date View Post
    nice bike.... so do you have any big trips planned?
    Once my mate sorts his shit out and buys a bike we are keen on a cape trip. Iím thinking about a Cameronís corner trip before winters out just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Didnít realise the amount of technology packed into bikes like this.

Are you going to grow a long beard now?
    This is the Rallye X so has the full electrics package. You can adjust everything via the controls and scroll wheel thing on the left grip. Little odd seeing it adjust the front and rear ride height whilst on the side stand.
    Havenít played with the TFT dash very much yet but it seems easy enough to get the hang of.

Bike is ready to pick up but wonít be able to get there today. Once I do Iíll post some dash pics. Dash and sat nav work together so you can see all kinds of shit like tyre pressure, oil temp etc displayed on the nav unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Cameron's corner would be like a ride to the shops for this, bloke I know did it on his bloody Harley last year with my sister and her partner.

The beamer was the only one to come to grief, due to 5' nothing clumsy sister riding it. She also discovered that the 800cc single vibrated like crazy.
    Last edited by irsa76; 27-06-18 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    She also discovered that the 800cc single vibrated like crazy.
    They're a twin. With a 3rd balancer throw on the crank, and a "floating rod". They're the smoothest parallel twin you'll ever find.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Did an enjoyable 400klms today on some quite twisty roads. Took me a bit to push hard on the chunky tyres but once I got over my instinct of flashing bright red lights of ďDO NOT DO ON THESE TYRESĒ the bike started to come to me. I was honestly having that much fun I really did forget to stop for lunch.
    I over took some guy on a Ducati Streetfigher around the outside of a 35klm posted left hander and deliberately sat up with the classic broom up your arse stance just to be a knob.

Honestly if I didnít have to try and get home by 5pm I would probably still be out riding. Going to try and get a few more klms tomorrow should be ready for itís first service mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    They're a twin. With a 3rd balancer throw on the crank, and a "floating rod". They're the smoothest parallel twin you'll ever find.
    I only saw the bike once and am just going on what she said, I pretty much lost interest in it when she said it was an 800 which meant I couldn't ride it if I got off my arse and got my bike licence.

Snake/Dog control device approves.

The big and the small of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Once my mate sorts his shit out and buys a bike we are keen on a cape trip. Iím thinking about a Cameronís corner trip before winters out just because.
    this is what my mates are planning- this bike looks ideal for this sort of thing.
    i said they are crazy, but then, i am following them in a land rover so we will see who is the dumbest

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    a land rover

A bumpy road in a car is glass on a bigger adventure bike. The reason I can overtake kents on twisty back roads isnít power its just that the shit roads donít unsettle the GS even a little. One funny part of today was Iíd done 300klms before putting my foot down. In that time Iíd had the bike in Dynamic so it self adjusts the suspension and power to suit the conditions. As part of that it has raised the ride hight quite a bit. Came to a stop and put my foot down only to find it was a little more than usual. It was pretty unprofessional lol.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 30-06-18 at 11:45 PM.

Did 100klms on dirt today after adjusting the gear shift lever to a more MX boot friendly angle. In this case max up so I can get my boot under the lever. Again I have to get my head around 11ty heavy big bike on dirt corners and yeah the tyres really can do what you ask of them.
    It all just seat time, iím used to chucking a leg out the front to gauge lean angle and getting my weight over the front wheel. You cant do that with this thing because of the engine. You just have to keep you feet on the pegs and lean. Thats cool on fast sweepers stand up lean forward and rip huge skids but on other slower corners Iím still working things out. The linked brake thing is very new to me so I find myself going slower than Iíd thought I would be. Anyway I guess I need to get over my trust issues and keep pushing.

Iím thinking about doing a couple of the BMW off road training days to help get my head around stuff.

Or you just stop being a pussy and just 'send it'
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Yeah Iím well known for my restraint on motorbikes.

Is it Saturday yet? Iíve got a 415klm loop planned tomorrow with about 100ish klms of that being dirt. Kunt weight. Iíll be on my Pat Mallone so no going fast or anything but Iím just super keen to get out there and do some more klms. Iíll try and remember to stop and grab a couple of photos but normally once I get rolling I forget to stop.
    Speaking of kilometres Iím now up to 820 and after tomorrow I should be at the 1,200 mark so Iíve booked the bike in for its first service on Thursday. Price of service is $335 with ďfreeĒ loan bike so that should be interesting.

No matter what they say, youíre still a cool cube.

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Nice one, watching with interest. Been checking YouTube and reviews etc on these. Amazing bikes. Want.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just got back. Found a few extra klms of dirt so took a bit longer. 445klms 100 or so on dirt. Took a little to get my head around trusting the front end but once I just said fuck it Iíll ride it like the WR not like a fucking huge road bike things started to click and by the time Iíd reached the end of the dirt I wanted to turn around and do it all over again. Temps ranged between 17c and 4c across the top of the hill. Revit kit was perfect although I did buckle and stop once Iíd gotten to the top of the hill and fitted the thermal liner to the jacket.

This was bang one 1000klms. I thought it should stop and get a photo. I dunno why just because.

It got pretty dark and wet up the top. Skids ahoy!

Environment is vastly different on the other side of the hill.

Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 07-07-18 at 06:43 PM.

Awesome bike and great story so far M, following with interest

Stopped at the local bottleshop and picked up some refreshments. Honestly the more I ride this bike the more I want to ride it. If I didnít have commitments this weekend Iíd probably still be out in the bush doing skids and laughing like a schoolgirl to myself.

Wife wanted a photo as apparently its the happiest she has seen me in years. She could well be right.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 07-07-18 at 06:52 PM.

Iím here in Wave Rock Hyden and a bunch of guys on dirt touring bikes rocked up and dude on same bike as you did a mono past the camp site. Was cool.

Wife wanted a photo as apparently its the happiest she has seen me in years. She could well be right.
    Proper lol. Positively beaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Love the bike.

My Dad (74) did a couple of thousand kms from the bottom of South America upwards in one of these last year. Loved it.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Proper lol. Positively beaming.
    Just won lotto. Thatís what I look like lol.

Dropped the GS off for itís first service this morning and got the below as a loan bike because the F800 was still out. Holy shit after being used to the size of the GS this thing felt like a PeeWee 50.

Riding to walcha tomorrow afternoon then Iíll try and take this route home.

whats the building in the background ?

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

How did the last ride go? Back alive?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sorry man I missed your post. Things have been busy around here.

Yep ride was awesome. Conditions were pretty challenging but 99% of that was in my head. I left work at 4pm at 17c (this will become relevant as the post unfolds) dressed in the full Revíit Sand 3 kit with the thermal liners in the pants and jacket. I also put the rain liners in the pants but not the jacket. My thinking here was that I could get the rain liner in the jacket quickly but not so much the pants. Base layer was Aldi special merino wool long johns and socks and t-shirt with Alpinestars Tech7 boots and short cuff winter gloves.
    As I rode out of work I was hot but the forecast temps for the trip I had planned was for it to drop below 0c. I undid all the cooling vents and headed to the a servo to fill up. 20 minutes later I got to the servo but I was pretty hot even at a average speed of 70kph. Once done there my next stop was Gloucester a couple of hours away and about 1/3 of the trip in.
    The road there is nothing too flash just some freeway for bit then an hour or two of country roads dotted with small towns. As I got into Gloucester I pulled up at the local bottle shop and picked up a 6 pack of White Rabbit dark ale and put it in the right pannier at the front with a wool jumper to hold it in place. I figured that would be a pretty good esky. The foreboding sign here was at least a dozen locals walking past me saying ďfucken hell mate it's going to get fucken cold as fuck on that thing.Fuck me you can camp at our place if you need toĒ. If the locals are saying that, it may well get a bit cold.
    To me that was game on. Lets have a fucking adventure. I rode out of town looking at the air temp gauge thinking come on then lets have it. About 20 out the town you hit Thunderbolts Way. An interesting road with a huge mix of corners that takes you from not to far above sea level to around 1,150mtrs where snow is not uncommon. About an hour into it and the temp had climbed from the 4c at Gloucester to 13c. I was starting to think that this was all a bit too easy.
    Then I hit the bigger climb of the trip. Temps at the base was around 7c on average and as I climbed it dropped to 0c. Then in the flats on the plato the dash came up with an ice warning and the temp dropped to -3c and stayed there for bit. This called for heated grips on 2 and to tuck in a bit.
    Iím not going to lie. -3 even when the beers are $1.30 is pretty cool. I just kind of had a laugh to myself turned the RTJ up a bit in my helmet and kept on keeping on. As I rode on the temp dropped to -5 and I started to worry somewhat about ice on the road as I could see the mist forming quickly on the paddocks. I rolled off a little and settled in to the ride accepting it was just going to be cold for the next hour or so. The Sand 3 gear held up really well and other than a general feeling of it being pretty cold on my hands it wasnít too unpleasant. Lowest temp I saw was -6 for about 20 minutes but that was ok as it was at the same time I came into some road work and that meant a dirt road. Skids ahoy!
    I rolled off the gas stood up and enjoyed the lack of grip, for those 20 minutes I was free. Cold as fuck but free.
    After that is was tuck back in and just let the klms roll out.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 24-07-18 at 01:33 AM.

My internet at home has been crap of late so wanted to get that posted before it dropped out again.

Anyway. I rolled into town and met up with a couple of mates. They had sorted some rooms at the Royal Cafe (awesome old pub 100% will bang again and again). They opened the bike shed doors and I parked up for the night. Got the beers out of the panniers that had juuuust started to frost up. Walked inside and stood around talking shit drinking a beer in front of the fire for the next 30 minutes. After that off to the Aster hotel for a feed and 4 or 5 beers then back to the Royal and some red wine whilst sitting around the fire talking shit telling war stories.

Next morning I had to be up early to get back home and do family stuff. The screen shot below is one I took as I was eating breakfast. Iíd already rolled the bike out of the shed and let it sit in the sun to warm up before starting it. A number of locals had walked into the cafe and said they had seen -10c overnight. I wasnít overly shocked at this but it did mess with my head a little. I was on a bike with pretty much mud tyres on and it was still -3c. Ice and those spelt for shenanigans.
    I ate me breakfast slowly, said my get fucked cunts and rolled out of town gingerly taking any corner with any kind of dampness back the way Iíd come.

Best.Bike.Ever

Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 24-07-18 at 01:23 AM.

Sounds like a great bike and glad to see you are getting out and enjoying it.

Should be able to handle the big trip effortlessly.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd leave this here : http://shopforme.com.au/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2658

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.