Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 VJ Charger.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar

1973 VJ Charger.

Rather that clog up another thread I though I should start this one. Iíll come back when I have a laptop and edit this post with more detail.
    Long story short my wife has always wanted one. My cousin had one he could find the time or money to resto so I bought it off him for her.

Longer story.
    My wife has wanted a Mercury Silver V8 Charger since she was 16. She found one parked in a side yard near her house with a tarp over it as a teen and fell in love with it. She saved up some money and got the courage up to knock on the door as ask if they would sell it. They agreed on a price but it was $500 more than she had at the time. They said it wasnít going anywhere.
    That afternoon she told an older friend of hers about the deal who once they parted company that afternoon he went around to the house said she had found the extra money and he was her to get it. They handed over the keys and he took the car. A week later she came past to get it and it was gone. They old her the story and as you can guess she was pissed.
    When she caught up with the guy he denied it but she found out later he had flipped it the next day for a few hundred more.
    Since then has wanted one but never been able to bring herself to get one.
    20 odd years later Iím catching up with a couple of cousins I see every few year for a random beer and one of them mentions he has one and he had been thinking about selling it. I tell him to put me first on the list as Iíd like to give it to my wife who has a 1 car bucket list. He says he will think about it and let me know. A few weeks later he calls me and tells me he is ready to sell. At this stage Iíd not told my wife as I didnít want to get her hopes up.
    So I head around to his place and take a look without telling her what I was doing. I take a look at whilst it needs work and paint the body it really really good. Very little rust and pretty straight. I tell him to give a couple of days and Iíll let him know 100% either way.
    At this point I had to tell my wife. If she was going to have a project car I should prolly tell her about it. She was slightly apprehensive about being able to do it but it was just nerves. I told her Iíd help and lets get this shit done.
    Phone call made to cousin, deal was done. Pick it up next weekend.

Itís rough but close to a driver. Itís just missing an alternator and a battery. Plan is get both of those and get it on the road whilst we plan a reso for her to do whilst I point and drink beers.

Anyone got a lead on a cheap alternator? Iíve been told XD bolts up.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 12-07-18 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Awesome. Look forward to how this progresses. Hopefully angry small block to follow.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

I look forward to reading about angry 340ci Mopar Charger T/A-style pro tourer that isn't the resto you talk about in your OP :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Iíve been told XD bolts up.
    XD will fit with slight adjustments to spacers - very simple.
    Will be internal reg though, so slight adjustment of wiring required - again simple.

cheers
    Gaz
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

If I was doing it, it would be all the lows rattle can flat black, Black D windows and prolly a turbo 1UZ for power.

VH I know, but this is my favouritist Charger ever (and because this thread needs pics).

Also, this just came up for sale on MoparMarket.

http://www.moparmarket.com/classifie...sifiedad=45345

Because Nascar. Should satisfy any need for V8 rumble.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Charger eh?

Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    If I was doing it, it would be all the lows rattle can flat black, Black D windows and prolly a turbo 1UZ for power.
    Barra?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    VH I know, but this is my favouritist Charger ever (and because this thread needs pics).

Yeah, that's mint, but needs the front sway bar tucked up, and more rubber on each end.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 12-07-18 at 02:09 PM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

That guy used to have his build thread on Hemi6pack. It's a six pack, CHI headed 265, with a six speed manual and widened 14' sports rims as I recall.

It probably doesn't need extra rubber, though it would look better!

As gaz said. Anything up to ED will bolt up with spacer mods, or at worst, a front cover change, and chabging from external reg to internal.

Iirc the hotness was to use the internal reg, and bypass the entire charging system as the wiring and especially the ammeter cant handle the amperage from a modwrn alternator for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

when does the barra with ITB's get fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    As gaz said. Anything up to ED will bolt up with spacer mods, or at worst, a front cover change, and chabging from external reg to internal.

Iirc the hotness was to use the internal reg, and bypass the entire charging system as the wiring and especially the ammeter cant handle the amperage from a modwrn alternator for long.
    From memory with a mate's car - doesn't basically the entire power side of the wiring run through the ammeter, and acts as the start of dash fires?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    From memory with a mate's car - doesn't basically the entire power side of the wiring run through the ammeter, and acts as the start of dash fires?
    Yep. Thats exactly what happens.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Yep. Thats exactly what happens.
    Nut comes loose on the terminal I think?

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Hellcat 6.2 swapz plz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

great - now make with the pics and leave as a hemi 6
    Last edited by 9triton; 12-07-18 at 04:13 PM.

Grab chucks barra bits cheap in a few weeks when he changes his mind surely?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Nut comes loose on the terminal I think?
    Yep, you sound like a closet MOPAR man.

Nice! I do like Chargers very much.

When you say its a bit rough and missing a couple of parts im picturing a roadkill looking type of car 😎

Is it manual or auto?

Got my cousin to send me a picture of it.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Nice, I'd love an E55 replica
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Not bad.

Needs to be a metal skin replica, it a charger tank from Mad Max Fury Road.....

Just kidding in the charger tank bit, the clear over metal if the metal skin charger would be cool.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

It will be the car she wants. Iím just the hired help and advisor.

It wonít get a Barra. Aside from me giving less than zero fucks for anything Barra I know she wants an old school V8 with a bit of rumble.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 12-07-18 at 08:45 PM.

V8 conversion is the right thing to do.

I like where this thread is headed!

Reckon you'll just run a 318?
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Yep. Kinda hoping Iíll find her a rusty sedan with a V8 in it we can pilfer from.

Looks like a nice solid base to start with. Seen a whoooooole lot worse getting restored.

You would be very lucky to find a cheap rusty V8 sedan these days.

Looks like a nice solid base to start with. Seen a whoooooole lot worse getting restored.

You would be very lucky to find a cheap rusty V8 sedan these days.
    Yep, Mopar guys are fucked in the head when it comes to repairing complete basket cases. Make even HK-G coupe guys look normal.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHRYSLER....c100005.m1851

Would that fit?
    Last edited by Soopy; 12-07-18 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Yeaaaah mayne!

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Not bad.

Needs to be a metal skin replica, it a charger tank from Mad Max Fury Road.....

Just kidding in the charger tank bit, the clear over metal if the metal skin charger would be cool.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    I remember watching that as a kid and thinking the Torana in it was fucking titts. Downloaded it a while back, need to get around to watching it.

Looking forward to see how this thing goes, old vals dont really get enough love