Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land-Yolo Discovery 1 #2 - Im officially broken

Land-Yolo Discovery 1 #2 - Im officially broken

If purchasing one is a poor decision, then buying a second is full blown lunacy.

No, the white one is not dead yet, but it IS on borrowed time. Have been umming and ahhing about what to do with it and tried working out a plan of attack with the nopics. What it came down to was this - I havent really spent any money on it besides purchase and getting it through rwc, engine is ailing but it still works and will still function fine as a daily/kidlet hauler until the rego runs out next year. The problem is going forward - rebuilding or replacing the engine would be a waste of time and money given the lack of range with lpg/petrol will still be a problem, especially with the dwindling availability of LPG. Running it on straight petrol would not be an option with the sort of k's we are doing in it - aint nothing in this world that drinks like a Rover V8, except for maybe my alchoholic uncle. Doing an engine conversion is too many headfucks and too many dollarydoos to get right and I dont exactly want to break down in the middle of nowhere because of a conversion piece not being up to it.

So a plan is formed to look for a D1 200tdi or 300tdi with all the good stuff [suspension, bigger tyres, bull bar etc] done to it with a budget of approx 5 to 7k which should buy a good one. Preferred a 200tdi because they are simpler and seem to have less shit go wrong with them than the head and timing belt eating 300tdis and there is actually fuck all power/torque difference between them anyway.

On Friday, that plan [which lasted all 4 days] went out the fucking window. Was trawling land rover forums on the Monday and spotted a pretty badly written ad that just said 92 Discovery, 0 replies after 2 weeks. Figured it was a Petrol V8 that are a dime a dozen and that no one wanted, and almost closed the tab. Instead, decided to open it, only to find out it was actually a 200TDI manual, with snorkel/cargo barrier/prettyshitbullbar/dual battery setup/cb [all stuff i wanted] that had been parked up because the heater fan didnt work and it was down on power. It now didnt run because batteries were dead and hadnt run for a few years. This is exactly what my Mrs and I agreed on should replace the white one

Behold, one shitboxen in all its greeny glory

Its actually fucking straight besides one rear quarter which has a scrape in it that will hopefully tap out. Paint on roof and bonnet are rooted, little bit of rust starting in the cargo area but other than that it looks the goods. Interior is better than mine and will clean up better [and mines already decent on that score] so at this point, its looking pretty fucking good for the 700 smackers hes asking.

Took a spare battery with me to try and get it fired up only to find out the Commo battery i brought with me had the terminals round wrong way. Stole the battery out of mine and two cranks and 9 of victorias nastiest spider attacks later the bastard thing fired up in a blackish smoke show. Settled down to idle and actually sounded quiet, winrar. Reason for loss of power is pretty fucking obvious after all of 30sec [and i dont even know anything about diesels]. Apparently the intercooler piping is known to collapse and split on these things. The amount of duct tape and electrical tape being used in an attempt to hold all-teh-boosts into the plumbing was impressive. Theres your problem sir, and hopefully he hasnt fucking melted it with high EGTs due to the poor thing not getting air.

Angry 200tdi lump

Ugly bullbar which will hopefully get replaced by a proper ARB bar

Agreed on 650, going to retrieve it on Friday.

Plan of attack:

-White shitboxen still runs, and is rego'd till next year. This gives me until Apr-19 to sort this nugget out
    -Need to do a leak down test and get a feel of what sort of shape the bottom end is in, hopefully no need for rebuild [im in two minds about doing this anyway]
    -Redo suspension - 2" lift, redo bushes, steering dampener etc
    -Respray bonnet and roof
    -245/75/R16s for that slight lift feeling, hopefully get away without needing to trim the arch
    -ARB front bar, the PIAA foggies i bought and a set of driving lights of some description
    -Add trutrac to rear diff and maxidrive axles sometime down the track

Engine wise, plan is some form of turbina upgrade. Standard turbo is T25 flanged, if i had to guess id say an SR20 one would be too big to bolt on and fucked if i know how people determine turbo sizing for these things. Do not want lag - the MU i had was a punchy SOB but if you got your take off wrong, it bogged badly until boost came around so pretty keen to avoid that. Been looking at VGT stuff - possibly 4JJ1 Rodeo or the Hilux VGT, a mate is trying to convince me to go compound setup. Rest is turn pump up/exhaust/intercooler upgrades.

Heeeeere we go.

N-

Beyond broken you are but respect for sticking to it. Hope this one delivers, canít go wrong with diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

It has begun. I wonder how many Discovery's you'll own 12 months from now?!

Diesel was a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    It has begun. I wonder how many Discovery's you'll own 12 months from now?!

Diesel was a good choice.
    I'm tipping 3 and 1/4
    +1 on the diesel, but a power upgrade is a must - especially if towing.
    Put an aftermarket temp sensor & gauge with alarm on it.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

says alot about these cars though...for all thier problems, you still chose another.

and most say the same.. "it was a fucking shitbox, my towie ended up my best man, and i hate all blokes named lucas by default..would i own another? absolutely."
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Eurotrash :D
    i await rage quit when replacing bcambelt and gaskets.

because fuck you gasket.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?rlz....0.AGpNN0J-wYE
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Rename to Disco Stu?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

The lights on it look like Cibie Super Oscars, you can buy new lens and reflectors for them still.

You sir, have the disease, welcome to the cult.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Thank you thank you, I wish I could say im glad to be here but....

If we extrapolate current rate of discovery ownership [first bought in feb, #2 in july], and consider growth rate is exponential, by this time next year I should own all of the ones ever sold in Victoria.

All jokes aside, even with bumping the budget up to 7ish, we didnt stand a chance of getting a good diesel GQ. 80series cruiser? Forget it. Needed to be wagon body and tow 3t and that just wasnt going to happen in anything other than a Disco. I had the usual suggestions of why dont you just redraw on your mortgage and buy a hilux bro. Sure, ill just take out a bit extra and buy a jetski too like the rest of the joneseseses [brain not working this morning, grammar not loading]. So here we fucking are.

Lol sloth not looking forward to the timing belt but at least its not a 300tdi which are apparently worse, or a 6VE1 Isuzu which are scary to even look at. Ill have the front in bits anyway to replace radiator, hoses etc [not taking any chances] so hopefully will make life easier.

Anything I should know/need to replace on this as a matter of urgency besides the belt and gasket behind it?

the issue comes when the cover is eaten through by lack of coolant. or the bolts snap off and have to be drilled and helicoiled.

they also changed the crank pulley aswell to a lipped type. rimmer bros do a kit, its half the price of genuine.

factor in 2-3 days if it goes sideways.

at this age id do the waterpump aswell. they prefer an oat type coolant. penrite make a good one that lasts 13 years iirc.
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I spent the weekend helping a mate pick up a Series 2a from up near Albury and tow it back to Mansfield.

We picked it up with his TDi300 Defender and I was surprised by how well it handled the load. The trailer was 850kg on it's own and the old Defender happily sat on 110 on the flat.
    Uphill it dropped some speed but we never had to go below 4th gear.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    the issue comes when the cover is eaten through by lack of coolant. or the bolts snap off and have to be drilled and helicoiled.

they also changed the crank pulley aswell to a lipped type. rimmer bros do a kit, its half the price of genuine.

factor in 2-3 days if it goes sideways.

at this age id do the waterpump aswell. they prefer an oat type coolant. penrite make a good one that lasts 13 years iirc.
    Fuck its so awkward typing rimmer bros into the work computer and hoping luck fuck google gives the correct answers....

Had a look for the timing belt kit and cant find anything with a lipped crank pulley for a 200tdi - you sure your not thinking of the 300s? The 200tdi kit shows a lipped tensioner pulley but thats it, no special mention of the crank pulley. 300tdi kit on the other hand specifies the lipped pulley is to stop the belt moving.

Water pump is on replacement list as is radiator and everything else, im taking no chances. Plan on doing bulk k's with nopics and little one on board so a break down in middle of fucking nowhere is not optional. Need to look at moving the intercooler, would allow me to drop the V8 radiator in. Quick googles says its good match for 200tdi - outlets on the same side, but full width. Would just require a slight mod to lower outlet [v8 its at 45deg, 200tdi straight out].

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    I spent the weekend helping a mate pick up a Series 2a from up near Albury and tow it back to Mansfield.

We picked it up with his TDi300 Defender and I was surprised by how well it handled the load. The trailer was 850kg on it's own and the old Defender happily sat on 110 on the flat.
    Uphill it dropped some speed but we never had to go below 4th gear.
    Completely standard or has it had a fiddle? Basically all i want to do is be able to go uphill. Right now, the 3.5 with just me in it has to go back to third to get up moderate hills - its really on its last legs. During easter temp was climbing etc trying to get up hills with car trailer on back, had to frequently go back to second and watch it gradually lose speed even though it was sitting at 4000rpm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Holy shit that fucking moves!

May have found a proper bullbar for this for next to nothing so the brush-gaurd style one can fuck off. Also been looking at intercooler kits on ebay, fucking hell they are terrible - since when was it acceptable to make a 45deg turn out of two pieces of straight pipe rather than a proper bend?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Also been looking at intercooler kits on ebay, fucking hell they are terrible - since when was it acceptable to make a 45deg turn out of two pieces of straight pipe rather than a proper bend?
    Take it to a good exhaust shop to make up the right bends/pipes?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Had a look for the timing belt kit and cant find anything with a lipped crank pulley for a 200tdi - you sure your not thinking of the 300s? The 200tdi kit shows a lipped tensioner pulley but thats it, no special mention of the crank pulley. 300tdi kit on the other hand specifies the lipped pulley is to stop the belt moving.
    Also been looking at intercooler kits on ebay, fucking hell they are terrible - since when was it acceptable to make a 45deg turn out of two pieces of straight pipe rather than a proper bend?
    my parts bloke reckons so. ill double check though. my boss runs an auto 200tdi btw. slow as an ice age but pretty unbreakable. he did the pin and tweaked the boost. made fuck all difference.

v8 rad is a good idea, just make sure its not silted up.

intercooler shenanigans = because english

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Take it to a good exhaust shop to make up the right bends/pipes?
    Thought about that but the rest of it doesnt look too-hot either, wonky welds etc. May be better off buying something like a second hand xr6t cooler and fabbing pipework instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    my parts bloke reckons so. ill double check though. my boss runs an auto 200tdi btw. slow as an ice age but pretty unbreakable. he did the pin and tweaked the boost. made fuck all difference.

v8 rad is a good idea, just make sure its not silted up.

intercooler shenanigans = because english
    Been googling timing belts, fucking british! There appears to be two different variations for 200tdi, one with a single tensioner, and one with single tensioner plus idler like the 300. FFS, cant we just have one variation instead of needing vins, date, exact time, weather and location to decipher what it needs?

Completely standard or has it had a fiddle? Basically all i want to do is be able to go uphill. Right now, the 3.5 with just me in it has to go back to third to get up moderate hills - its really on its last legs. During easter temp was climbing etc trying to get up hills with car trailer on back, had to frequently go back to second and watch it gradually lose speed even though it was sitting at 4000rpm...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180721_144126.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	107631

Engine wise it's pretty much stock, we've tweaked the injector pump to feed it a bit more fuel, apart from that it has a snorkel and it's on 33's with front and rear lockers, upgraded axles etc.

Defenders have different (lower) ratios in the transfer from memory though.

My mate also has a twin locked TDi300 disco on 35's. It's had the diff ratios changed but again the only engine mod is a tweaked injector pump.

My tdi 300 Classic Rangie used to go alright too with just the pump tweaked.

I wouldn't bother with intercooler upgrades, just put an exhaust on it with an egt gauge and wind the fuel up to just below melting point. You spend money for very little gain. Make sure the intercooler and radiator are not full of mud/bugs and give it heaps.

Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 25-07-18 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Apologizing in advance because im about to break the internets.

Had organized with work to borrow the 100series cruiser for the weekend to go and get this nugget. At the 11th hour [12.55 on friday arvo] the boss decides hes taking the Landcruiser, completely fucking up my plans. Had to source a brake controller, threw it in the white disco rough as and set off on sunday morning to get the green nugget. So, my white disco is down on power, it gets a bit warm going up hill, and im now going to throw almost 3t behind it for a 110km trip home. What could go wrong?

Actually, NOTHING went wrong. Like, properly nothing. It sat the nose a bit higher than id like [rear springs are fucked] and its gutless as all fuck going up hill, but it sat on 90kmh and was actually stable. Only time i got a sway or two was in the gusts of winds [weather was fucked on sunday], other than that, it was surprisingly good.

Havent had the chance to do much with it other than high pressure the moss and spiders off it and it actually looks decent underneath. Theres a spot of rust in the tail gate and some in the rear corner in exactly the same spot as mine, but other than that it looks decent. Drove it on/off the trailer too. Super-anorak award goes to isra75, spots on it are Cibbie SuperOscars. Shame the cunts are fucked, but I doubt i could fit these and the PIAAs on the front anyway. Had a poke around and im 99.9999999% sure the loss of power is down to this fantastic piece of repair work.

More poking/exploratary work to come

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    LoL

This thread delivers....
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

We're just getting started baby! Plenty more time for lols to be had at my expense regardless of source, and im sure there will be heaps whether its from the previous owners mechanical ineptitude, ye olde worlds finest mechanical engineers fuckwitery or from my own idiocy.

No photos, so boring text update will have to suffice. Have started to empty out all the crap thats in the back of it and had a few minor victories including a full set of new genuine fan belts, new genuine top rad hose, an UHF that still works and a hayman reece brake controller from 1971 [no idea if its actually from 1971, but its fucking old].

Faults so far besides the worlds electrical tape supply attempting to hold all the boosts into the intercooler piping -

-Heater doesnt work. Old mate had the dash out to fix it, had heating unit in bits, still couldnt fix it. Dash is back in, but apparently heater still doesnt work. I cant wait to see just how much ball ache im in for with this, bound to be missing nuts/bolts, broken clips and other shit on top of the original fault

-Shift is sloppy, too easy to get reverse instead of first which may or may not have happened while i was trying to get it on the trailer. Box is an LT77 and apparently its one of two things; either the shifter lock out needs adjustment or the bushes in the shifter are fucked. The issue is however knowing WHICH bushes are required to fix it, because they used this box in a million different pom shitboxes

-Transfer case lever does nothing except flop around like a sausage being lobbed down a hallway. Suspect for whatever reason old mate has tried to fix a stiff/sticky lever and forgotten/lost interested and left everything loose. Hoping for an easy win here.

Havent found any more rust which is always good.

Thereís a mob in the UK that do a bunch of silicon hoses (as in they make them in the uk) for various pommy things. Derby Performance Hose - their prices for stuff donít seem eye watering and the hoses I got off them are excellent compared to chinesium.

They may do some Landrover stuff pretty sure I saw it listed in their website etc.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

also try roose motorsport hoses.

between this and my navara, pf is going up in the world.

Will have a look at both, ta boys.

Currently writing a shopping list and its fucking eye watering the cost difference between what we pay here and what it costs in the UK. Before someone launches into a rant about how business works and freight costs, overheads etc, i understand all that - what I DONT understand is how the bottom rad hose is $16 in the UK but by some magic $44 here. Thats one hell of a freight bill for a piece of rubber that fits in a plastic express bag.

Also, mark up for land rover genuine hoses is ridiuculous - anywhere form 5x to 8x as much as the equiv aftermarket hose. Righto.

I reckon you're turbo has shit a seal. Splitting the intercooler hose is common on Merc Sprinters and 99% it's because the turbo has dumped oil into the intake and it's eaten the rubber.

Nein, turbo has been replaced. Old one was in the boot and is now sitting on shelf. Apparently cooler plumbing failing is a common fault hence the existance of a few brands worth of silicon hose

Yeah i buy all my landie parts in the uk. Shitloads cheaper even after postage. I jus wait till i need a whoooole heap of stuff, and order it in one lot.

Your pain is s inspiring me to start a build thread on mine.. To share the pain lol.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Yeah i buy all my landie parts in the uk. Shitloads cheaper even after postage. I jus wait till i need a whoooole heap of stuff, and order it in one lot.

Your pain is s inspiring me to start a build thread on mine.. To share the pain lol.
    Have you ordered anything since the changes to GST and are there any you recommend using?

Do it!!! The more of us there is, the more normal we look!

Nah ordered ny last lot of stuff juuuuust before it was brought in.

Even so, i reckon it will still come out substantially cheaper.

Landrover stuff is like Europe's equivalent to holden stuff here.