Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: reliable family wagon #11ty million + 1 budget 7-10K

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgryder View Post
    carnival = 2.7 which was guaranteed to blow up multiple times with head gasket problems - the 3.8 is the good engine 180 killerwasps.

I think most people getting 15's in the city (we live on bribe island where there is no traffic will take them in the smaller car)Highway its 10's.

Not sure how that compares to something like an elgrand though but since nopics decided she wanted an SUV then that was probably the figure we were looking at for whatever vehicle..guess there is always the option to go injected LPG?
    Ah ok. the Elgrand used about 16 per 100 around town even trying to not get shit economy.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Ah ok. the Elgrand used about 16 per 100 around town even trying to not get shit economy.
    What was the elgrand like to drive, my nopics wants us to get one as a 3rd car. Our current 3rd car is an m35 stagea which i dont mind, it's nice to drive and makes you feel like your Schumacher in the wet, it uses around 13-15l/100. The elgrand seems to look comfie enough and well appointed, not sure i want to give the stag up though, considering we don't really need 7 or 8 seats.
    Last edited by THE CHIEF; 11-08-18 at 11:15 AM.

Carnival. Fuck that. Give me something Japanese in that price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    What was the elgrand like to drive, my nopics wants us to get one as a 3rd car. Our current 3rd car is an m35 stagea which i dont mind, it's nice to drive and makes you feel like your Schumacher in the wet, it uses around 13-15l/100. The elgrand seems to look comfie enough and well appointed, not sure i want to give the stag up though, considering we don't really need 7 or 8 seats.
    We went from an m35 Stagea (which I tried to sell to OP about 4 years ago and is still owned by another pfer I think) to a D5 Delica. The stag was great, but the D5 suits us much better as the kids get older.

It's really a car for nopics to want to use and she isn't keen on either of those (stagea or delica)

It came down to either an older CVX kluger which IMO was too small or the GC.

Honestly it never really grew on me. We had a Delica for about 6 years that was the family truckster and we thought we'd upgrade to an Elgrand and relegate the Delica to my daily/work hack but after 12 mths we sold the Elgrand as nopics and i both preffered driving the Delica and it was so practical. It had the benefits of being a Van but also a 4wd so could take it way more places and the Turbo Diesel is awesome around town as its all bottom end power and just cruises effortlessly. Also the view fron a Delica is way better.
    The Elgrand felt heavier and had slower steering it didnt feel anywhere near as well built and you had to be carefull with the low front end etc. It drank like a Tongan sailor and was not remotely quick despite the 350Z powerz you may expect. It actually has smaller cams in the Elgrand than a 350Z so dosent have the same top end go. It was comfortable on the highway but most of its use was school taxi etc.
    After we sold it we kept the Delica for another few years and never looked back. Recently sold the Delica after 9 years and it never let us down once.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Honestly it never really grew on me. We had a Delica for about 6 years that was the family truckster and we thought we'd upgrade to an Elgrand and relegate the Delica to my daily/work hack but after 12 mths we sold the Elgrand as nopics and i both preffered driving the Delica and it was so practical. It had the benefits of being a Van but also a 4wd so could take it way more places and the Turbo Diesel is awesome around town as its all bottom end power and just cruises effortlessly. Also the view fron a Delica is way better.
    The Elgrand felt heavier and had slower steering it didnt feel anywhere near as well built and you had to be carefull with the low front end etc. It drank like a Tongan sailor and was not remotely quick despite the 350Z powerz you may expect. It actually has smaller cams in the Elgrand than a 350Z so dosent have the same top end go. It was comfortable on the highway but most of its use was school taxi etc.
    After we sold it we kept the Delica for another few years and never looked back. Recently sold the Delica after 9 years and it never let us down once.

Thanks for that, so how many litres/100 does a tongan sailor drink? Lol

It was bad enough that i didnt bother checking the actual liters per 100 around town more than once but it was over 16 taking it pretty easy.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peal View Post
    Carnival. Fuck that. Give me something Japanese in that price bracket.
    Nothing wrong with a Grand Carnival, apart that itís as big as a block of flats.
    Something Japanese in that price bracket is either going to be a much older Tarago (slightly less chance of trouble, true, but nowhere near as flexible or functional), a much smaller & older Odyssey, or an older grey import with more difficult parts support & no better in terms of reliability.

Thanks for that, so how many litres/100 does a tongan sailor drink? Lol
    Did you mean 8 Tongan sailors? ie. is this a Tarago question?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 11-08-18 at 05:26 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Grand Carnival, apart that itís as big as a block of flats.
    Something Japanese in that price bracket is either going to be a much older Tarago (slightly less chance of trouble, true, but nowhere near as flexible or functional), a much smaller & older Odyssey, or an older grey import with more difficult parts support & no better in terms of reliability.

Did you mean 8 Tongan sailors? ie. is this a Tarago question?
    all above is so trueand I wasn't going to bother discussing the merits of 1998 delicas and 1999 taragos..

Got sick of wasting time, found the best condition, lowest km VQ Grand Carnival I could find that looked like it hadn't been thrashed - dealer had to put on 4 new tyres, 6 months rego and that sentinel parts warranty and drove it home, happy days as it's heaps better, everyone fits in comfortably in 3 car seats without having one in the 3rd row.

needs a few minor things to cover off OCD, like a few touch ups and some interior stuff but overall seemed to drive pretty well for a mini-bus :-)

Another case closed courtesy of PF!

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Case closed?!
    Dude, you definitely donít win the Boothy Award for August Ď18.

Enjoy! Well, enjoy not needing to do anything with it. And I guess enjoy all the outings!
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 16-08-18 at 09:23 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

for now..... until approximately 2-3 years when we plan to move to a newer vehicle again.

Mate, simply having a car that doesn't have lots of age related, hard to get and expensive parts failing on a monthly basis is something to be celebrating!

Now looking for the camry replacment thinking small AWD like Xtrail now but prob will purchase from auction as there is no real time limit so I can wait patiently for something good to come up.