Thread: Surface rust removal on undercarriage

Question Surface rust removal on undercarriage

I've recently purchased a ~6 year old D40 Navara (please, hear me out) which is in brilliant nick except for underneath. I think its got quite a bit of surface rust on the cross members and parts of the chassis for its age. Or maybe it's normal; it's my first 4x4. The older, previous owner has had it on the beach a handful of times and supposedly cleaned it after each trip however I'm skeptical to how well it was cleaned. Even the engine bay has signs of light corrosion. Owner did not live near the coast.

It passed RWC and RACQ inspections fine. I'm not a mechanic but it doesn't look to serious but I'd like to prevent it getting worse. No flaking paint/metal etc, just surface rust, and some sand in the rails ( ). It will see Fraser in a couple of months and every year or two after that so I'm not expecting to keep it in showroom condition forever.

Seems the general consensus across forums to get rid of/slow the rust is use a rust convertor, remove with wax and grease, prime, paint over the top. For prevention avoid use of lanolin or fish oil products as the sand will stick to these if not dried properly but good products when they do work.

I'm proposing the following:
    1. Good scrub underneath with CT18 wash to remove the dirt/dust so I can see what is dirt and what is rust. Flush rails to remove all sand.
    2. Wirewheel all visible rust.
    3. Apply rust convertor
    4. Apply Penetrol
    5. Paint with chassis paint or POR15, or even this KBS product: https://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/prod...is-coater-kit/

To get into the rails I'll have to spray each product inside as best I can. I'm not expecting miracles in this department.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach to halt/slow the rust? Any better suggestions?

Cheers
    Paul

got any pics ?

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

That KBS stuff is a pita. Unless you've prepped 100% their way (recommendation is sand blasting) it doesn't stick as well as it should. Also you have to be real smooth with your brush strokes, very easy to get little bubbles in the paint that stay in it when it sets, and then looks shit.

If very careful can get a very smooth glossy finish on long strokes though just with a brush. Problem is hard not to get bubbles in it at joins and corners.
    Last edited by Shane001; 10-08-18 at 12:55 AM.

A couple of pics from when I looked at the car. You can see where I've rubbed the gearbox sump clean. The engine sump has had a good blast though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180806_195702_resize.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	107865 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180806_195643_resize.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	107864
    Paul

The sand sandblasts the car and suspension underneath as you drive along the beach. I personally wouldn't waste your time, especially if you are going to fraser or plan on doing anymore beach work as you will be back to where you started.

I took my bt50 on the sand two weeks after purchase and it took all the paint off the lower control arms (clearly the thailand factory doesn't put it on that thick).

Short version IMO is, you are just pushing shit up hill. My approach is since your car and my car aren't collectables, is to just drive them as per their purpose, and if beach driving is part of that, accept the outcomes. I always spend 30mins hosing my chassis rails out, engine bay and all underside of the car etc after a beach run.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Rust itself isnt bad. It forms a boundary layer and actually helps to stop it traveling further. So anywhere surface rust forms, as long as water cannot pool and is allowed to drain away, it wont get significantly worse if you leave it. Just keep an eye on any joints or crevices dirt and grit can get trapped in which will stay wet/soggy everytime it gets wet and really accelerate rust build up. For anything else you are worried about, hit it with converter.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 11-08-18 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Just create an oil leak to coat the undercarriage and balance out the rust

Quote Originally Posted by big_pete View Post
    Just create an oil leak to coat the undercarriage and balance out the rust
    Thats the pommy method
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

I wouldn't worry, bit of road grime and shit will sort it out.

Alrighty thanks guys. Has put my mind at ease. I had a better look on the weekend with daylight and it's not as bad as first thought. After Fraser I'll give it a good clean to remove all the sand and maybe touch up a few bits.