Thread: birthday present - iron 883

birthday present - iron 883

traffic getting shit over the years and summer is coming up so thought that it would be a great idea to pick up a bike to ride into work and around.

debated getting a monster 696, mt-07 or a harley sport 500.

picked this one up and came with a bag, air filter, trickle charger, and a set of slip on pipes.

haven't rode a bike for a while so a bit wobbly and shit, doesn't help that this cunt weights a metric ton but at least my feet can reach the ground not like my previous bikes (R1s, 600RRs, NSR250s).

plans are to clean it up a bit with moving the plate to the side and a cleaner tail, and a 1200 kit in a couple of months.

some pics

has a k&n airfilter

got this cool bag that's pretty handy

the GTIR just went, so will be a long time before the garage is full again

That should be a fun commuter to wake the neighbours up with.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    That should be a fun commuter to wake the neighbours up with.

its not that much louder than the m3 idling in the driveway in the morning. I will put the slip ons this weekend, see how much louder it is.

How do you find the seat? It looks tiny

Nice one, try Bikecraft for a tail tidy. Locally made and they do some neat stuff for Harley's.

Drop my name and Brad (the owner) will hook you up and charge you twice retail

Hammer Performance do a great 1275 kit for them, make good power and easy to fit.
    Last edited by turbo510; 27-09-18 at 07:19 PM.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Quote Originally Posted by Synthian View Post
    How do you find the seat? It looks tiny
    I find it ok so far on the 60km ride home, the bike was bumpy but I just got it back from a major service and the guys had turned down the rear shocks from Max down to middle. I'm 75kg and only 162cm tall, the OEM seat makes it slightly higher for me.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Nice one, try Bikecraft for a tail tidy. Locally made and they do some neat stuff for Harley's.

Drop my name and Brad (the owner) will hook you up and charge you twice retail

Hammer Performance do a great 1275 kit for them, make good power and easy to fit.
    Haha alright I'll hit him up. I called VicRoads to deregister the gtir.

The bike came with a set of slip ons, took me about 5 mins to give it a quick clean and then another 10 to undo the nuts and had them fitted.

Sooo loud, will definitely fuck people off if I idle it on the driveway early in the morning.

Excellent, so they are staying on I assume.

Yep, staying on. The factory ones are too quiet, my cousin was driving behind me barely can hear the bike.

I might get baffles for these.

I've been riding into on most days in melbourne, only missed out yesterday due to rain, been sorting a few things on the bike that I don't like.

for a 2014 bike, the lights are fucking shit house, guy at work recommended going the LED for safety reasons. I picked it up from Amazon for $60 delivered. link here. amazon link

Will take pics of the light pattern and all that shit later, it's really noticeable from far away, i don't think it will blind oncoming traffic.

Took about 15 minutes to change, really it was 1 minute to undo the screw and 5 minutes to figure out how to jam the thing without scratching it and then 9 minutes to screw the bolt back in with 1 hand. if there's a helping hand to squeeze the thing, would have taken 5 minutes.

Looks a lot nicer without looking like some riced up shit, I will take the silver bezel off this week end and paint it matt black to suit the bike.

also picked up a cheap screaming eagle ecu tuner box. will update when i get the bike tuned, after i get the baffles into the slip ons, they're too fucking loud, it's giving me a headache after an hour or 2 of riding
    Last edited by im_boostn; 11-10-18 at 12:56 PM.

Was the reason the SE box so cheap because it has been used? They marry to the ecm and are paperweights once paired to another bike.

Don’t stress it if has. There is a guy “unlocking” them on eBay for a few hundred.

Shame you didn’t post something earlier. I would have let you borrrow my powervision then all you are up for is a licence to flash your bike. Powervision > *

Ahhh damnn nah it was from this big dude that was already unmarried paid $250 for it. Thanks for the offer though.

In that case good deal then. Should be easy enough to get a base calibration from the unit that will suit your mods then you can do a narrow band ‘autotune’ to dial it in. For a typical stage one, whilst a full dyno tune is wonderful, not really nessacary IMO.

Main thing is to give it plenty of fuel, it’s an 883 so will never be a rocket ship but the main thing in particular in Australia is to keep the thing cool during summer. Stock tunes are deadly lean.

i'm going to download the software to see how it goes, so you reckon the autotune is ok? I am waiting for the baffles to come so i can put them in the slip ons that would make the bike slightly rich?

Yeah just look for a air cleaner and slip on muffler tune. Will be a good start. The SERT software is pretty self explanatory.

Autotune for stage one is fine. It will get the narrowband parts pretty much bang on and the high load parts should be in the ballpark, and by ballpark I mean on the rich side so nothing is going to go bang.

You tune these bikes like turbo rotaries. Shitloads of fuel and actually retard the timing to make power. Air cooled twin tuning is simple but different again from your typical motorcycle engine.