Thread: Yamasuki rz350 sp

Yamasuki rz350 sp

I'll start by saying this has been a long time coming, I had 1 of these when I was 20yrs old, young n nieve and stupid it took me just a few months to cop a 6mth ban for neg driving. Anyway long story short this unfinished project bike had been advertised on gumtree for quite a few months down in Melbourne. A recent price drop was enough to get me to go and check it out when I was down there for work.

The owner was already in deep with a bit of overspend and I got the impression his missus was keen to see the back of it, I offered a KLX250 as payment and a deal was done. Picked it up yesterday, it got a nice wash on the way back up the hume hwy today.

Pretty stoked with some of the mods, an oil leak on the right side of the box will need addressing along with a good carby clean. Plan is to get it reliable first over summer before some engine mods.

Last edited by Stevil; 05-10-18 at 08:28 AM.

Cool!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Damn it. I want one!
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Cool!
    Yeah thats all it is at this stage lol. There are way more practical bikes out there but the noise is addictive.

Its running RGV wheels, RGV Tokico brakes, rear Swingarm and front forks, new roller bearings were installed when done. Rear shock is a new YSS unit. Custom Jap RZ Footpegs and much larger tank (no idea on make). Still got a flexi RZ250 frame so it aint no RGV but it should go alright. Weight would be around 137kgs dry I reckon.

Rear seat is a 748/916 ducktail and it wide and comfy. R1 Speedo unit, OX racing pipes.

took a little bit of vid on the way home which wasnt smart as you can hear the left carby cough and splutter right at the end as it sucks on some gunk, bike hasnt been riden in over 3yrs.

https://youtu.be/Sv7vRHUgY3Q

Took me a while to figure it out, but the tank is VJ21 RGV250.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Nice. Looks like the hard work is done.

MLLUV it would appear that way, pulled they carbs out and gave em a good clean. Oil pump got pulled, old red paint mark indicated it was a rz250 pump and the 350s needs a little more oil. Good news is the previous owner upgraded the worm drive in the pump and and put in the correct 40 tooth cog so it should be fine, however for peace of mind of Ive decided to send the oil pump off to the UK to be completely refurbed and upgraded (bout $150 including postage).

Bike runs fine and blows very little smoke but if I let it idle after its warmed up the right plug gets drown with fuel, been suggest that the carby float levels may not be correct but I cant see how to change that...

Gammaboy u picked the tank alright.

once I get the oil pump back, new banshee racing coils for better spark and some heavier front springs will go in before I get a fella down at Carinbah to look at the tune.

So after a bit of research I came to the conclusion that I had a fucked crank case seal which was causing the right plug to foul so the motor came out. My diagnoses was confirmed by the mechanic and it turns out 2 seals had been put in place of the single OEM seal. A little bit of play detected on the 2 end crank bearing and some wear on the gear selector so new stuff on order from Japan. Power valves turn easily and everything else seems fine ......

Cough banshee cough......

Cough triple cough.

yeah yeah I know, anyway fresh bits n pieces and I should have it up and running by easter ......

walking round the work shop i noticed this old VFR getting a facelift, I like the direction theyre heading in, exhaust should be good.

So picked the bike up 2 weeks ago, joined a club and paid the Historic rego, pretty cool at only $92/yr with no greenslip, 50 rides a year should do the trick.

Unknown age brake fluid got the turf, 5yr old Arrowmax rubber was starting to crack and wheel spin in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on greasy road had me questioning my 2 stroke wisdom. Tune seems good with 3rd gear showing strong signs of lift on my local hill, gearing may be a tad short.... .

Struggled a bit on deciding what rubber to put on the RGV rims and in the end the boys at Bikebiz parra made the decision easy when they pulled out a pair of discontinued sticky Dunlop SP alpha 13s for a price I couldnt refuse. A set of Ferodo Sinter grip road pads were thrown in the front calipers and after a chat about what Spark plugs I was running a decision was made to try some better street NGKs. Surprisingly the bike seemed to run a little better low down and the grippy tyres and better brake pads have seriously transformed the handling and attitude of the whole bike.

New oem clutch cable on ordered from the UK as the old one is past it best. I ditched the smokey Motul mineral in favour of the Motul 510 synthetic which Id previously run in my old scooter, definitely a whole lot less smoke. Temp gauge on the cards and upgrade on the front master cylinder/lever for better feel ( maybe R6)

Last edited by Stevil; 20-03-19 at 07:15 AM.

Excellent result.

The bike looks great, and hopefully sounds as good and obnoxious as it looks.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Thanks PXL265, definitely makes all the right sounds.

The bike got plenty of attention at the Yamaha dealers, so much so I had 2 of the mechanics ask if it was for sale.

I've got a GSXR1000 radial front master I'm getting rid of if you want it.

Thanks Gammaboy I'll send you some details