Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pajeros any good?

Pajeros any good?

In the market for a new daily and was thinking it's time I get a suitable going away car as I do some trips each year to camp sites/fishing areas/etc. Not enough to need some full on kitted out land cruiser but not interested in a "softroader" either. Mate suggested a pajero, around the 2003 model year range as that sort of fits in my budget of 6 to 8k. Thing is I have no clue about them, no one I know has owned one either. A quick Google suggests they never really had much go wrong but there must be some shit to look for in these things. I think NM is the model code. Anyone got a horror story or are they truly a robust solid thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

I know nothing, but, suspect they are a good thing. Mitsubishi.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

They're a good thing, not as hardcore as a Prado/Land Cruiser/Patrol but still capable off road. And nicer onroad due to no chassis and fully independent suspension. I'd go diesel over the V6, especially if the kms are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    They're a good thing, not as hardcore as a Prado/Land Cruiser/Patrol but still capable off road. And nicer onroad due to no chassis and fully independent suspension. I'd go diesel over the V6, especially if the kms are up there.
    Found a couple that I'm going to look at, all diesels, they all seem to have higher klm (300+) which I assume is standard.
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

I have a petrol 2004 model. Have had it for 5 years. Early goes off road as it's not my thing. But one time I did go out with a 4wd nutter mate I was surprised what rocks it would climb (with him spotting me). Mainly used for towing to racetrack and back. It's comfortable, tows nicely etc. Uses heaps of fuel, have never seem less than 15/100 and will get into the 20/100 towing about 2T.

Oh KM are currently 210,000 all good expect maybe a very very slight puff of smoke on a cold start, I mean you really need to looking. No leaks and no real oil.consumption between oil changes.

Another update if you go later 2004/2005 you can get in the NP??? Which is 3.5L petrol and I believe has a higher row rating as well.
    Last edited by MZ21; 17-10-18 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidFace View Post
    Found a couple that I'm going to look at, all diesels, they all seem to have higher klm (300+) which I assume is standard.
    At that mileage you need to budget for the injector pump if not done. Also the autos can be problematic if not serviced regularly.

I bought a 2003 manual diesel for $2600. The pump was fucked but expected it.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Pretty reliable. Make sure timing belt is done when it's due if going petrol. Will likely leak from the valve stem seals and use a bit of oil, I believe it's factory on any Mitsubishi made in the last 40 years.

Think I will aim for a diesel manual at this stage.

Had 2005 NP - sold it at 395000km and was still going strong - only big ticket item was injector pump which is anywhere from 4-6K that I replaced in my ownership. Place in Lismore has the right gear to do them and would have been way cheaper than me going to a local place who outsourced to them and then added a decent margin :-/ Just make sure if diesel it is serviced regularly.

I sold it to buy a new one 12 months ago - already has 40000km+ but same basic vehicle, just much more refined. They are a great thing to drive daily and we had ours often on the beach and in the bush - nothing stupid though. Great for towing race cars also.
    CU in the forest ... sideways!
    --

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Ensure you drive it & think about how it drives. If you’re not aware of how nasty a 4WD is on the road, it could be a shock.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

When I bought my Jeep was also looking at Pajero's, all were up around 300K kms and felt like driving a truck.

Jeep is my daily around Sydney and really enjoy driving it. Would have hated driving the Pajero every day.

Do yourself a favour and do some research on the WJ Grand Cherokee, or if you can stretch the budget the next model WH.

Hadn't really thought about a jeep as the repair costs scare me..regail me with tales sir.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Of woe? Grab a chair...

Of jeeps and woe should the two be together.

Also consider challengers and pathfinders

Father in law had a second hand one for a while with no issues.

Had a manual diesel NL - was plenty capable offroad in standard trim and pretty decent on fuel at around 11-12 L/100 general driving. Not too slow either for what it was. Note NL has live rear axle, NM/NP is IRS. Gearbox went in mine just before moving interstate for work so sold the car instead of fixing - regret that a little as it was a great cheap 4wd.

In laws have a petrol auto NM which is very thirsty and burns oil but not particularly relevant to your interests. Haven't had theirs off road but it feels pretty boaty on road. Is probably still on the original shocks though - mine had been replaced.

Whatever you get it will probably be flashing the superselect lights. Check the vacuum solenoid(s) for the front hubs - picked up a decent fuel economy gain from that. From memory you can get a generic one for about $50 from Ashdown Ingram which is suitable.

Edit: Check out Pajero Club of Victoria forum as there are frequently some decent ones advertised there, plus plenty of tech info.
    Last edited by ricardo; 17-10-18 at 07:46 PM.

Family member had an early 2000's Jeep Gran Cherokee Lerado, from Brand new.

Interior plastics fell apart, console fucked.
    Both front power windows fucked $400 ea to fix
    Steering so a vague after 50,000 KM that you kind got an idea of which direction you where turning
    then something in the rear axle let go, $3K fix.

In the end they gave up at 100,000 or so KM and sold it for $3,500

Looked nice at the time when new though.

agricultural
    Do you really want to daily a diesel truck that gets 11L/100 at best, just for a couple trips a year? I daily'd a lifted 99 diesel hilux for a few years, and even as a hillbilly in the country it got old fast.

There are horror stories for every make and model. Best do your own research, jump on the aussie forums and have a read.
    http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=130
    Mine's a 2001 Limited 4.7l V8. Not perfect but no vehicle is, but have been overall very happy with it, especially for the price you can get them for.

For you needs I would go one of these over s pajero:

They can be had at a good price due to being the ugly duckling of vitaras, but find one with a V6 and it will be far nicer to drive onroad and be better in sand/beaches than the Pajero. They have a proper low range and will go just about anywhere a paj will.

I have owned a paj, they are heavy clumsy things that provide little to no enjoyment driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Given your previous vehicle history, something here may strike your fancy:Luxo SUV for cheap
    Last edited by irsa76; 18-10-18 at 05:23 AM.

screw the av's
    Prado is another one to throw in to the mix, however at that price point, you'd be looking at a petrol 120 series. Which isn't a bad thing if you are not doing massive kms on it (fuel consumption around the city can be a bit high) but given the size of the thing, its acceptable. V6 motor goes well and has good pick up and go. V6's can be problematic if it hasn't had regular oil changes, clogging up the pick up. Rear door can crack at the seam welds near the hinge and front chassis can crack.

Regarding Pajeros and handling/driveability - both of mine had upgraded springs and shocks from when I got them - progressive rate in the rear makes a huge difference and with decent shocks the drive is way better than standard. Did it from new with my 2017 NX. Was boaty when I first picked it up, much betterer now. You will find a second hand one that has this done no doubt. I have/had Kings springs with 2" lift and OZTec shocks in both.
    CU in the forest ... sideways!
    --

NM/NP Diesel can run into an expensive repair bill if the fuel pump needs repair/replacement. Not uncommon to fail so just be wary of early warning signs. I've found the PajeroClub Forum pretty helpful with issues, ideas and suggestions with my NW. Definitely worth a look.

step up to the NP over the NM..theyre typically the same price range, but have better engines (at least in the diesel) and an offroad traction system that works suprisingly well once you learn how to drive with it.

keep in mind though that they are a monocoque construction and can only tow 2500 as opposed to the 3 tonne + of most others if thats something you might like to do in future.
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Did someone recommend a V6 vitara in this thread 😆
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Vitaras aren't too bad, are they? I had relatives with a progression of them and they never really had any major problems despite towing an A-van over most of Australia over the years.

I would have thought a manual Forester would do anything you'd need it to offroad while being vaguely normal to drive the other 99% of the time.

Fuck driving a Pajero/Prado to work every day.

subie wagon be the go aye
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Had an NL widebody petrol auto. Blew both headgaskets, filled it with chemiweld and continued smashing it through things and towing race cars around then sold for more than I paid for it. Would bang/10.

agricultural
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Vitaras aren't too bad, are they? I had relatives with a progression of them and they never really had any major problems despite towing an A-van over most of Australia over the years.

I would have thought a manual Forester would do anything you'd need it to offroad while being vaguely normal to drive the other 99% of the time.

Fuck driving a Pajero/Prado to work every day.
    I was afraid to suggest as much, but I've done all sorts of fire trails etc in my old forester. 1" lift kits are cheap and easy, entire platform is compatible with WRX.

...but if the budget stretches, the off-road system in the VW alltrack/Audi allroad (same same) absolutely destroys anything from Subaru. The hill descent control is excellent and it will happily crawl out of any absurd muddy situation I've put it in. Did Kosiosko in winter at speed, explored every corner of the central TAS highlands... Never a slip, never a question if it would make it. They also come stock with steel underbelly protection.

Did I just level up the retard led by suggesting VAG? Probably.