Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Box PDM's

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    Here you go...

Racegrade box (PCS with racegrade firmware)

Haltech TC8 (pcs with Haltech Can)
    It could be a noise susceptibility problem or it could easily be that signal isn't being filtered electronically and it is giving the instantaneous sample value whenever that happens to fall in the engine cycle for each sample cycle, if they were exposed tips I could believe that. Surely there are settings for that which can be changed to suit?

People using that same box on emtron have the same issue, if you filter it to the point its usable data the readings are so far off (low) they are useless
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Interesting

How old is your TC8 Dale?

2 months...
    im a cunt

I'll log a bunch of temps via my datalogger and see if it exhibits the same type of issue.

Did you contact Racegrade / Motec West to let them know about it?

after speaking to other people with the same issues I just replaced it with one that works,

Haltech now sell a 8 channel that retails at $150 less than the racegrade and works with out having to fuck around with firmware
    im a cunt

so which one of you is adam faull? if you don't believe what im posting why don't you ask for the logs from the emtron that looks like shit as well?
    im a cunt

You should just do your self a favor and buy the original and better box,

Here is the FILTERED date from a emtron...

im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    so which one of you is adam faull? if you don't believe what im posting why don't you ask for the logs from the emtron that looks like shit as well?
    Because I wasn't going to ask you for them, quite frankly I thought you would have told me to fuck off. I wanted an independent opinion Emtron users - Dale, no offence, but your bias toward Haltech is pretty damn strong. You said it above, you replaced it with a Haltech module.

And honestly, I'm not going to bin a $500 egt module because of one person's bad experience with it.

Anyway, I deleted the post.

lol...

whats funny is that is not my emtron log, its for a guy that was having trouble with the same egt box, who replaced it with a e888 and the problems went away,

I have a few other people with bad problems with the same box, but hey its only me that has problems with them..

BTW the haltech 8 channel box is made by PCS, which funny enough makes the racegrade one too.. but the PCS and the haltech badged PCS works perfectly, the racegrade do not.

BTW ive done emtrons using the Emtron egt boxes and guess what? they worked perfectly... ive got logs of them too if you want them..
    im a cunt

Well, you can have the satisfaction of saying I told you so when I whinge like a bitch on FB about having the same problem.

i don't think ill waste any more of my time trying to help you,
    im a cunt

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how fucking good emtron logging software is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Not that Dale will bother responding, but I'm guessing that the problematic Racegrade TC8's are configured for Mode 0, 1, 2 or 3 - E888 output.

So much for a productive thread about PDM's.

you shouldn't be using the e888 Comms modes to talk to the emtron. I'm betting racegrade have fucked up the e888 message framing in the firmware If dale sees the issue in haltechs too. if you read the manual for the tc8 the first 4 modes 0,1,2,3 all use the e888 messaging format that sends lots of useless information like cold junction etc. Use can mode 4 of the tc8, create a custom RX frame in the emtron with 8 words starting at your tc8 device address and read egt1 to 8 in big endian. The value coming in is in 0.1 degrees. They can't fuck that up that framing code.

Otherwise use a canbus USB adapter and use their config software that also displays the temps from the unit
    Last edited by burn is weird; 31-10-18 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks mate.

Yeah so putting the PDM on hold for the moment, unless something better comes out, picking up a HP8441 over in Austria next year.

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    you shouldn't be using the e888 Comms modes to talk to the emtron. I'm betting racegrade have fucked up the e888 message framing in the firmware If dale sees the issue in haltechs too. if you read the manual for the tc8 the first 4 modes 0,1,2,3 all use the e888 messaging format that sends lots of useless information like cold junction etc. Use can mode 4 of the tc8, create a custom RX frame in the emtron with 8 words starting at your tc8 device address and read egt1 to 8 in big endian. The value coming in is in 0.1 degrees. They can't fuck that up that framing code.

Otherwise use a canbus USB adapter and use their config software that also displays the temps from the unit
    I used mode 4 not 0-3... the haltech does not accept a e888 can config
    im a cunt

Well I guess they're fucked! I'm out of ideas

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Oo___oO

I use a ecu master egt box. It was $150aud. It only runs at about 4hz update due to probably only having a single ADC that must be multiplexed to sample the 8 channels but that's fast enough for my needs. Works perfect and is cheap as fuck. you can disassemble easily to solder a termination resistor over the can hi/lo pins inside to make the wiring neater.

https://rrrshop.co.uk/8egt2can---8-t...dule-403-p.asp

this was a stop/start log hence the jumps between pulls. also cyl 6 is a bit cold but as it is an RB26 with standard intake manifold I wasn't game to lean it out until we looked at the plugs!

Last edited by burn is weird; 31-10-18 at 05:11 PM.

I can say that I've seen similar issues in EGT data coming from an AIM EVO4S to a Link G4+ over CAN, when I screwed up the CAN receive frames on the Link After I sorted out the configuration is was nice and smooth without the random spikes/drops

What was the issue with the CAN framing you had?

I'd screwed up the framing to be most significant first instead of least significant, was shocked it was actually transmitting semi-sensible figures at all. Was flying blind though as AIM weren't that forthcoming with their smartycam frame format

with the ecu master egt box can you configure the CAN data to replicate a Haltech EGT box. or does anyone have the Haltech EGT CAN Protocol info?

nah it just spits out 8 channels of temperature data over 16 bytes, two bytes per channel. scaling is 1=0.1degC. you can select little or big endian and chose a CAN address but thats it.

Oo___oO

Haltech can stuff you can pull from plex software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok