Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

Quote Originally Posted by bbits_elements View Post
    Hang on....20-30 per hundred what the actual fuck? Means you cannot travel anywhere decent.
    Sam eyles did a trip from WA to Cape york and back in a supercharged LS patrol. Fuel range wasnt an issue, he just had 100l or so more long range tanks than his diesel mates.. And octane booster lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Yep, servos everywhere. Pretty much every 100km up the Cape. Would drive me nuts filling up all the time though and having to always be thinking about it and planning it out.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

heavy vehicle + powers == fuel use.

Diesel petrol doesn't matter.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Yeah you are dreaming if you think a 3 tonne vehicle is getting 10l/100 with any engine in it. A TD42 will struggle to get 15l/100 while not being able to climb hills unloaded. ZD30 the same. I think Steve got 13/14 on the trip back to canberra in the duramax patrol with 3.9 diffs and 6 speed auto. That is absolute best you can expect. 200series cruisers use 20-30l/100 towing vans, so does every other diesel 4wd, people quoting less are full of shit and have never towed a van. If you want good economy don't buy a 3t car shaped like a block of flats, easy.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    My Grand Cherokee 3.0 TD uses 17 liters per 100 towing a 2.3 tonne 23 foot van. But then im always wondering when its going to break down as well so......

Uses 8.8 on the freeway when not towing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

TD42's make fuck all power and use heaps of fuel, mine averaged 16L/100km and it was slow noisy shit engine. ZD30's are far nicer to drive than TD42's lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    My Grand Cherokee 3.0 TD uses 17 liters per 100 towing a 2.3 tonne 23 foot van. But then im always wondering when its going to break down as well so......

Uses 8.8 on the freeway when not towing.

It's also the weight of a navara and yes it probably will explode shortly. Patrol engines are either dinosaurs or dinosaurs wearing space suits and none have 8 speed autos. Patrols are only good because they are built like trucks in every aspect bar the engine.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    It's also the weight of a navara and yes it probably will explode shortly. Patrol engines are either dinosaurs or dinosaurs wearing space suits and none have 8 speed autos. Patrols are only good because they are built like trucks in every aspect bar the engine.
    It's a shame they didnt try to fit the v9x from the 550 navara into the final GUs, would have finally been a good motor in a patrol.

Atleast the nissan diesels were usually turbo, unlike toyota fitting 1hz to 105s lol

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 17-01-19 at 04:15 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

This, gearbox and gearing has just as big if not more of an impact on economy and off-road capability than the engine most of the time. This is why Barra with a ZF would be a good option imo. Barra running through a 4.17 first gear through a torque converter would be better than any factory patrol Diesel engine and box for wheel torque in off-road situations and will also help with economy (help...itís still going to use fuel though).

The 2016 Denali in the real world used less fuel than a 2012 FJ cruiser, one of the main reason was the 8 speed box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vet 180; 17-01-19 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

FCA also put that same V6 in the ram. They have been out for 8 or so years in the jeeps and there have been fuck all failures in that time.. Unlike the ZD30.
    Sure they probably wont be a new age 'grandfathers axe' but for a modern motor they are just fine.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I think old mate has the Merc 3.0 and 5 speed not the new hotness VM 3.0 and ZF 8 Speed but either way.

I've towed a big van at 120kph in the Grand Cherokee (3.0/8 speed) and it did stay under 20l/100km but the combination (mainly from the SUV) is about 1000kgs lighter than your average 200 Series or Pootrol.

Yeah mine was a 3 grand beater from the auctions. None of this 8 speed stuff.

Yeah you are dreaming if you think a 3 tonne vehicle is getting 10l/100 with any engine in it. A TD42 will struggle to get 15l/100 while not being able to climb hills unloaded. ZD30 the same. I think Steve got 13/14 on the trip back to canberra in the duramax patrol with 3.9 diffs and 6 speed auto. That is absolute best you can expect. 200series cruisers use 20-30l/100 towing vans, so does every other diesel 4wd, people quoting less are full of shit and have never towed a van. If you want good economy don't buy a 3t car shaped like a block of flats, easy.
    My ZD30 gets 13/100 towing a full size dual axle car trailer from Brisbane to Warwick. Loads vary from Ford Festiva to JZZ30. Empty Patrol with front and rear steel bars = 2600kg + 500 kg people and tools + 600kg trailer + 1500kg soarer + 200kg fuel and tyres on the trailer = 5400kg. I don't go over 100 km/h on the flat and I back off a bit on the hills to keep EGTs under 450. Still not the slowest thing up the range by a long shot. Low 13s with the Festiva, high 13s with the soarer, usually does high 12s on the way back. Manual trans.

I don't tow a full height van because I'm not a geriatric.

Patrol engines are either dinosaurs or dinosaurs wearing space suits
    I'm using that line in the future. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bbits_elements View Post
    Hang on....20-30 per hundred what the actual fuck? Means you cannot travel anywhere decent.
    my 4.8 auto used 20-21l/100km around town, just under 16 on the hwy. Had no heavy accessories other than a winch and front bar, only 30mm lift & 32" equivalent tyres.

regularly seeing 6.8-74l per 100 from v6 roks. most van towing guys are reporting 11-12
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    regularly seeing 6.8-74l per 100 from v6 roks. most van towing guys are reporting 11-12
    Those are the figures I get, granted it's a work truck but I am it's only driver.
    Why in the fuck would you bother with that old shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Stock lightweight utility with highway tyres not the same as big heavy 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    I think old mate has the Merc 3.0 and 5 speed not the new hotness VM 3.0 and ZF 8 Speed but either way.
    Yes i realise that, but Als talkin 8 speeds, which means WK2 update.. Hence the ram comment.

Even the merc V6 has aged well thus far. Fuck all blowups from them too.

Jesus, are they towing like us PF crowd would (passing every cunt because fuck you and yes Iím towing a house), or are they on a 55klm/h economy run?

Yeah the newer diesels get excellent economy, but I figure the amount of money saved on fuel will be overshadowed by the amount spent on DPFs and EGR coolers (and maybe pumps and injectors) if you're owning the thing long term.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Stock lightweight utility with highway tyres not the same as big heavy 4wd
    3.5t towing cap, weighs the same as most 4x4s, and wear the same tyres as most 4x4s. stop talking shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Jesus, are they towing like us PF crowd would (passing every cunt because fuck you and yes Iím towing a house), or are they on a 55klm/h economy run?
    one of them drives like ricky bobby. the others arnt old fellas. tradies are getting it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    Yeah the newer diesels get excellent economy, but I figure the amount of money saved on fuel will be overshadowed by the amount spent on DPFs and EGR coolers (and maybe pumps and injectors) if you're owning the thing long term.
    thats like saying i could buy a uhd lcd 75 inch tv, but i wont cos the remote batteries will go flat in 2 years.

all cars have consumables like that now as theyre fitted to all cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    3.5t towing cap, weighs the same as most 4x4s, and wear the same tyres as most 4x4s. stop talking shit.

We're talking about 4wd's ya wank, not tow cars. You know, suspension, tyres, off road ability. If someone drives a GU, towing is hardly the deciding factor these days.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

3.5t towing cap, weighs the same as most 4x4s, and wear the same tyres as most 4x4s. stop talking shit

A jimny has a higher tie rating than a SWB JK, doesnít mean it will do a better job.

Anyway we are talking about off-road vehicles here, not tow vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

My ranger work ute weighs 3.6t and it averages 12.5 driven fairly hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

thats like saying i could buy a uhd lcd 75 inch tv, but i wont cos the remote batteries will go flat in 2 years.

Last time I checked DPFs cost slightly more than AA batteries.

If I was retarded enough to buy a new diesel vehicle, I'd get it serviced by the book and if it required a new DPF I'd ACCC the cunts.

Nowhere in the service schedule will it say replace DPF. It is a major component of the car. Without it the car won't run properly and won't meet emission standards. When buying a diesel, nobody tells you this very expensive "consumable" part may fail within warranty or further down the track. Nobody tells you the resale value of your vehicle will eat a dick because the DPF is fucked or almost fucked.

Consumers know and understand that things like tyres, brakes, bulbs, wipers, oils, fluids and batteries are consumables with limited or no warranty. Nobody tells them the new vehicles they are buying has a very expensive DPF that has a limited life span.

1GD Hilux/Prado is a great example. Toyota dealers are replacing DPFs in these hand over fist (under warranty). Some are onto their third DPF since new, it's costing Toyota a fortune, there's no way they're going to continue with that when the vehicle is out of warranty.

Some owners are already straight piping their 1GD Hiluxes. Hopefully the government doesn't realize that non-emission compliant vehicles is a massive untapped source of revenue. The Greens would push very hard for this as well.
    Last edited by mondo2000; 20-01-19 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Sam eyles did a trip from WA to Cape york and back in a supercharged LS patrol. Fuel range wasnt an issue, he just had 100l or so more long range tanks than his diesel mates.. And octane booster lol.
    Never heard of Sam Eyles thanks for the heads up.

Fuel consumption so far:
    2 x tanks, some towing of car trailer+commodore, mostly commuting to work - about 17l/100km
    That's being a light-foot but keeping up with traffic, etc

Now have full length roof rack and Kaymar rear bar fitted.

Tows the Commodore easy but haven't done a run across the mountains yet.
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au