Thread: Looking for advice on build - setting up a ~1800HP TT 8.5L BBC

Opens

Looking for advice on build - setting up a ~1800HP TT 8.5L BBC

Got a mate with a BBC Chevelle that we are trying to make a little less kill deathy.

Currently its setup with a procharged BBC on E85:

Makes north of 1000rwhp as it sits now and has run 9.2@158 off the footbrake- but not being teched really only ran it out the back door once.

As you can imagine its an absolute animal on street which he hates so never drives it so we decided over xmas to ditch the procharger setup and chuck on a couple of turbos and some EFI to try and make it better mannered on the street & hopefully chase some top end.

Basically after doing drag challenge weekend with me last year in my turbo V8 datto being totally zero fuss, excellent fuel economy and no fuss at the track he wants something like that - so i've been tasked to piece the setup together and deliver something similar but obviously on a much grander scale.

Current setup: Engine wise its all freshly built with forged bits for boost, dart BBC 9.8" block & 355 AFR heads. Trans is an all options ticked Coan TH400 and fancy 9" rear end that i know nothing about. Fuel will be E85.

(re)build goals: Primarily street duties with some lakeside 1/8 mile racing, 1/4 at willowbank and roll racing at QR so cant be a lagfest. Would be great to drive to the track, run an easy 8, eat a shitty hotdog and drive home. Interested in doing drag challenge as well at some point.

Questions:

1. Turbos

I'm looking at 2 x 80MM billets (turbine: 83x75) - T4 divided 1.10AR exhaust housing. I'm thinking being 2 x 4.2L 4 cylinders 1.10 T4 rear ends should be pretty responsive but still pack a decent punch on the 1/4. Honestly looking for advice if its not right and i need to go larger in the rear let me know pls. That said 1600hp would be way more fun than a laggy af 1800. Happy to run 20-25psi boost.

2. Wastegates

Twin 50mm gates should be suitable?. Each welded to divided T4 housing. Or would it be best to incorporate into the manifold collector.

3. Intercooler

I dont even know what to suggest here at this power level. Fair bit of room in the front of the chevelle but what would suit up to 2000hp in a twin configuration. Current setup is using water injection so we could retain or both WI and intercooling?

4. ECU and Injection

Looking at something like an Edelbock super victor EFI manifold & 1300CFM 4 barrel style throttle. Probably an elite 2500 so we can have a bit of a crack at power management. Will be looking at OKE020 to tune it so hopefully has the dyno bolted properly after the move

My mate is happy to throw bucks at it but not an open cheque book build. I'd like to think we could chuck together a smartly thought decent bang for buck setup with scope for a little more later on.

Thanks for any help guys!
    Last edited by psi999; 06-01-19 at 08:20 PM.

Iím more of a linker than a typer

Opens
    Haha that's great. Sounds like my thinking is heading in the right direction so far.

Fuck that intake is so nice.

Cheers for the reply!

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performanc...tw6765r-detail

1.21 A/R.
    S400 power, GT35 response.
    On an engine that size you could fit some giant turbos and the thing will still make excellent power. The yanks love borgies because they are cheap but they don't really perform as well as a garrett or precision size for size.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens
    Thanks for your reply Al. We'll take a look at the turbos you've linked but might be just out of our budget. We got a sizable budget but also so much to buy lol

Totally agree re-borgies. For this engine in a twin turbo confg I can't really find anything that matches well at a 'nice price' (the reason you'd use bw's in the first place).

I'm thinking we might end up chucking some cheapies on initially (proboost /Dicko possibly) that we think should work before going spendy. Try before you buy type deal with wheel sizes and a/r.

Locked in injectors so starting to get parts arriving. 8 x 2500cc (@43psi) so adding 20psi of boost referenced fuel pressure 25-30L per minute fuel flow should keep us honest I'm hoping.
    Last edited by psi999; 07-01-19 at 02:31 PM.

I'd go sxe369 borgies, small housing and 1000hp. Simple bush bearings and billet wheels. $1800 ea

Raceworks billet surge tank with twin walbro 460s or probably 525s, $820

Go twin 60mm wastegates and twin 50mm bovs

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dogsballs; 07-01-19 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Opens
    Cheers man.

Looking at an 90L aeroflow baffled fuel cell with triple 40mm hangers:

https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/...et-triple-pump

with 3 x 340lph AEM methanol/ethanol pumps. Only draw like 12 amps each at 60psi so should be spot on for fuel delivery and amp usage.

And for my shit canning of BW turbos above i had a decent chat with Grant Dixon tonight and have ordered 2 x S480 based 80mm billets. Apparently he uses a lot of aftermarket billet bits developed for tractor pulling in the US that improve oiling & bearing life, all balanced on his own VSR machine. Pick them up on Friday. Grant also suggested a set of 60mm gates so on the money there as well.

Indicated that we should expect around 1400rwhp on 20psi , time will tell i guess.

S480s are big turbos, only reason i suggested the sxe369 was for packaging

Be careful on the aeroflow as it only has one set of terminals. You will need to run thick feed wire and 70amp relay. I like the raceworks as it has 2 lots of terminals and you can stage the pumps with a hobbs switch or ecu

Opens
    Yeah they are going to be big prick of a things. I don't think there will be much left of the chevelles inner guards but in the corners of the bay there is a fair bit of room. Fingers crossed anyways lol.

I'll defs take another look at the raceworks stuff as I'd initially thought staging the pumps with a solid state would be an awesome idea (like my v35 twin-pump in tank setup). We have so much custom stuff to put together so was kinda nice to just be able to order all the Aeroflow stuff and take the easy road. I'll run some sums in a twin setup and see what it gets us (amps/flow etc) That said I could always chuck another set of terminals on the tank itself hmm.

Thanks for your replies!

have you heard of that bloke with the bbc tt vt? made 3000000000000000000bhp?

dalecunt iirc?

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Yeah you could drill and add another set of terminals, we are thinking that for mates car that's had all sorts of issues. Walbro 460 pulls about 19amps at full tilt. The other benefit of staging pumps is that you don't heat the fuel

For the record this is a sxe372, so s480 will be bigger and have 3" outlet

Opens
    Or just weld one of these into the tank and do it properly.

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...l-Bulkhead-Kit

Opens
    Yeah we aren't going to do any bodgy shit that's for sure.

Thanks dogsballs. Well aware of compreasor size and 3" out, I run a s366 on my V8 Datsun. Factory big block car so quite a bit of space in the front of the bay (and we're the kings of fitting shit where it can't).

300x600x125 intercooler and alternator relocation kit ordered this morning. Only a million more things to go

damnit, i could have sold you my stupidly big intercooler i bought ages ago from Chiseled Performance lol

Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    damnit, i could have sold you my stupidly big intercooler i bought ages ago from Chiseled Performance lol
    Any chance it's tall not wide?

From the website,

- Bell Bar and Plate Core
    - Core Measures 18x 12 x 6
    - Overal size 22.5 x 12 x 6 (without end tubes)
    - 1/8" 6061 Aluminum Sheetmetal Endtanks
    - Comes Standard With 4" CNC in/out tubes

6 fucking inches thick....

Doh, I was going to mention Phill with the white Turbo XB Coupe has a huge intercooler for sale...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Opens
    Specs gamma?

Rx3 thanks, we might need a backup option.

https://www.facebook.com/phil.edmond...56723586404178
    "Built by Jonny Tig. Core is 680x330x100. Overall width is 1000mm. 3.5" I/O. Never had anything that shouldn't go through it. Been sitting on the shelf since I went to W2A a while back. $450."
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Yeah they are going to be big prick of a things. I don't think there will be much left of the chevelles inner guards but in the corners of the bay there is a fair bit of room. Fingers crossed anyways lol.

I'll defs take another look at the raceworks stuff as I'd initially thought staging the pumps with a solid state would be an awesome idea (like my v35 twin-pump in tank setup). We have so much custom stuff to put together so was kinda nice to just be able to order all the Aeroflow stuff and take the easy road. I'll run some sums in a twin setup and see what it gets us (amps/flow etc) That said I could always chuck another set of terminals on the tank itself hmm.

Thanks for your replies!
    Both our twin & quad intank pump carriers have individual pump terminals & outlets (-08 AN ORB)

just use a pair of 76mm turbos.. it will make 1000 on 12-14psi and 1500 at 20.. trust me even 1000 its smoke show as soon as you put your foot down, the camaro on 6psi is fast.. 10psi its very fast, 14psi its smoke at any speed...

i have intake manifolds ready to ship when you want one
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320ft View Post
    Both our twin & quad intank pump carriers have individual pump terminals & outlets (-08 AN ORB)
    PM sent mate!

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    just use a pair of 76mm turbos.. it will make 1000 on 12-14psi and 1500 at 20.. trust me even 1000 its smoke show as soon as you put your foot down, the camaro on 6psi is fast.. 10psi its very fast, 14psi its smoke at any speed...

i have intake manifolds ready to ship when you want one
    Thanks for the chat Dale. I really feel we are on the right path now cheers mate!

Opens
    After bending quite a few knowledgeable blokes ears most of the big ticket items are now sorted. Think we'll end up with a really nice streetable setup.

Injectors, intercooler and turbos have arrived so shit has well and truly kicked off. Super happy with the billet 80s, quality a+++