Thread: Storing cars & battery issues.

Storing cars & battery issues.

Chaps,
    What is the best way to manage your car batteries when your cars get parked up for a while ?
    Car could be sitting for up to a year with minimal starts in that time. I normally disconnect the battery, but the inevitable flat battery often occurs.
    Is it just a matter of getting a few of those ctek chargers and leave them on maintenance mode ? Is there a risk of fire etc with these chargers ?
    Pull the battery out and stick it somewhere else ?
    What do you guys do ?

Cheers,

I have 3 or 4 cars and a bike on cteks year round, no issues
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 04-01-19 at 09:24 AM.

i had 2 cars switching between a ctek the last few months without starting and they are still good. Didn't take the battery off the car.

15 watt solar trickle charger has done well by me. Up to 10yrs on one battery now.
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rollin7
    but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

Parked up Mustang over three years ago. Just started it with the battery I got with it six years ago.

I left the battery unplugged sitting on a shelf, would occasionally charge it up using a generic charger, about every six months. CTEK's are cheap and good if you don't mind having the thing plugged in all the time.

While you can leave c-tek connected on maintenance mode I turned it off..usually turned it on monthly for a few hours just to keep battery charged even though didn't really need it.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    While you can leave c-tek connected on maintenance mode I turned it off..usually turned it on monthly for a few hours just to keep battery charged even though didn't really need it.
    I do the same fortnightly. The car has an alarm & gps so it gets slowly drained.

#1 rule is to never let a battery go flat.
    Continuous trickle charge is the lazy way of making sure that doesn't happen, but isn't a requirement for long life.

I just use a Ctek for the two good cars and one for the bike on all the time.

Real easy and when I do get home, a quick check of tyre pressures and away I go.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Same , I don't like leaving connected . I run a CTek each weekend or fortnight till they hit 100% then turn off. I find the 10 amp CTEK charges faster then the 15
    Last edited by Gregaust; 04-01-19 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    I might get one and just cycle it between batteries. I like the idea of removing the batteries from the car as they aren't stored at home where they can be checked.
    The batteries I use are the century ones with the inbuilt hydrometer. Even at a full charge they don't show a nice full green ring. Would this just be low water levels ?

Cheers,

My understanding is those windows aren't a very reliable guide

^^ Agree 100%

Used c-tek charger to revive Century battery that been flattened a few times...it's completely clear & has been for years yet holds charge no issues.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Guys, I have a car i haven't driven for possibly 12 years, but the battery was new 12 years ago. I'm assuming its fully flat/dead atm. Would the Ctek revive that battery by any chance?
    Another useless post for PF by bthology

Unlikely
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rollin7
    but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.