Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angle grinder proliferation

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    CSH update time!

Youtube ad revenue has been good to me the last month so I bought the ($89) Bosch 5 inch mentioned above, had been looking at a $59 makita too and couldn't remember why I didn't want it, my local total tools had one in stock so I handled it a bit alongside the bosch and confirmed I didn't like it as the body diameter was too thicc.

So then I went over to bunnings and bought it, for the fellow frugalists out there it came with 3 grinding wheels and got a 5% price reduction on the powerpass card, filled out a bosch tax time bonus thing online should get a 10 pack of cutting discs sent to me.

I'll probably still hang on to the 100mm guy for a while, might gift it to a mate who has a 100mm one already and grab the 5" makita for grinding duties. You really can't have too many of these things.

I've bought a few 4"grinders lately. A makita one and a milwakwe one. My old dewalt and Hitachi ones had 2screws on the guard clamp. This meant you could do them up reasonably tight so they wouldn't spin on there own but you could reposition the guard without a screw driver. Seems the common design now is a single screw which you either do up enough that they won't turn whilst grinding but you can't turn without a Screwdriver or you do them up loose and they spin while grinding. All to save them a couple of cents per grinder. I'm now trying to track down 4"grinders with 2 screw guards if anyone knows of any.

Other thing I found with the milwakwe is the body is too close to the guard to use the guard to hang the grinder. Lucky they are so cheap.
    Last edited by garvice; 25-06-19 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garvice View Post
    I've bought a few 4"grinders lately. A makita one and a milwakwe one. My old dewalt and Hitachi ones had 2screws on the guard clamp. This meant you could do them up reasonably tight so they wouldn't spin on there own but you could reposition the guard without a screw driver. Seems the common design now is a single screw which you either do up enough that they won't turn whilst grinding but you can't turn without a Screwdriver or you do them up loose and they spin while grinding. All to save them a couple of cents per grinder. I'm now trying to track down 4"grinders with 2 screw guards if anyone knows of any.

Other thing I found with the milwakwe is the body is too close to the guard to use the guard to hang the grinder. Lucky they are so cheap.
    my black and decker grinder has a guard you can spin with minimal effort and it will stay there like that, I like it! my new bosch has one screw, I thought it had detents on the spigot the guard attaches to, nope. it just stays where you tighten it up.

Cordless ryobi grinders have a cam lock to keep the guard in place, more annoying than just rotating the guard but at least you don't need a tool to adjust it. If the new one gives me the shits I might see if I can find a cam lock/quick release screw for it, a screw with tabs might work but might get in the way.

If you have dedicated grinders the guard thing isn't so much of an issue, you usually have it in one position for grinding and one position for cutting. or you could just man up and not use a guard
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 25-06-19 at 09:52 PM.

Have dedicated grinders, still need to move guard, more so when cutting then grinding. Use to run no guard but put the guard back on as it's the quickest way to hang them, don't even need to wait for disc to stop. My Hitachi I can spin the guard with the grinder running (I know, shouldn't do that, going to pay for it one day).
    Last edited by garvice; 26-06-19 at 06:50 AM.

I can spin the guard on my black and decker while it's running but it only rotates 90 degrees or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Mainly grinding and using norton blaze sanding pads. Most of the time the brushes wear out and take out the armature. What we werenít terribly impressed by was that some of the more expensive grinders didnít have replacement brushes available to purchase.
    We use Bosch grinders which don't have commercially available brushes but they are available through Aliexpress.
    The grinders seem to last a good while 3 years at least but we only use them for cutting thin stainless all day.

Quote Originally Posted by jabtronic View Post
    We use Bosch grinders which don't have commercially available brushes but they are available through Aliexpress.
    The grinders seem to last a good while 3 years at least but we only use them for cutting thin stainless all day.
    the bosch I just bought specifically mentions on the box that the brushes can be got at easily, but replacing brushes isn't something that is likely to come up for me.

had a look at mine, the guard lock screw is M6 so ebay bike seatpost cam lock quick release bolts should be able to be adapted, I made this thing up quickly by cutting a slot in the head of a bolt and hammering a washer into it to see if it would do the job, it does but needs to be a bit longer and have bigger wings, it's a bit difficult to do up tight enough just with your (my) fingers.

I noticed the hub nut spanner has an allen key on one which I imagine fits the guard screw, spanners don't tend to stay with the grinder though.

something like this, ebay ones are more expensive and the URL was too long

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946172402.html
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 26-06-19 at 08:34 PM.

Cheers road sailing, but essentially I'm looking for something that doesn't need undoing. I might see if I can find new old stock of my old grinder. The new Hitachi model has gone one screw too.

I'm looking for something that doesn't need undoing.
    yeah that would be ideal, there should be a way to remove the detents from the new style guards, that would probably help.

Cheers road sailing, but essentially I'm looking for something that doesn't need undoing. I might see if I can find new old stock of my old grinder. The new Hitachi model has gone one screw too.
    had another look in total tools today (they lured me in with the promise of EOFY sales, but I didn't buy anything so joke's on them) this bosch guy has tool free guard rotation for $215 https://www.totaltools.com.au/70877-...der-0601824241

Cheers mate, but that's 5". 5"seem to have far more options but I think because 4"is the smallest they treat them like entry level and price /option them as such.

Cheers mate, but that's 5". 5"seem to have far more options but I think because 4"is the smallest they treat them like entry level and price /option them as such.
    There was a $100 4 inch DeWalt that had tool free guard adjustment, only downside was it had a toggle switch next to the cord.