Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current hotness for ECU input sensors (air/coolant temp, fuel/oil pressure)

T1 fast AIT sensor
    Honeywell MLH for ref gauge or sealed gauge pressure (full SS wetted)
    Variohm EPT3100 for absolute pressure (EMAP etc) (full SS wetted)
    no fucks given for fluid temp... literally anything that comes with a calibration curve datasheet works fine.

I've never seen a published vendor datasheet or even a verifiable part number for the "TI" sensors so I wont use them until I do.

I also bench every sensor at room temp, and also at 110 degrees C for any going into the engine bay.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 22-07-19 at 11:37 AM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    I've never seen a published vendor datasheet or even a verifiable part number for the "TI" sensors so I wont use them until I do.
    I used to work for TI AU, even we had trouble getting datasheets out of that division.

in for info, i need to start buying new sensors
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

What ECU you running?

With DBW on the Elite, you run out of AVI pretty quick without the i/o expander.

I recall its an Emtron KV8.

16 DO (plus another 4 DO for spare IGN and INJ channels as its going on a 6 cyl engine)
    16 AI (also work as DI)
    14 DI (also work as AI)
    1 AO
    plus dedicated IO for: engine Relay out, plus dual knock, plus dual wideband, plus cam/crank inputs.

I'd be very impressed if you managed to fill it!

also worth noting the latest firmware for the KV8 allows you to assign the internal 5V reference (1 or 2) to a sensor input so instead of it being a 0-5v input it is ratiometric to the internal sensor voltage reference.

so if you have 2.2v at the MAP sensor input at 5v that might be 44% scale, but if sensor supply voltage is really 4.93v, it would be 44.62% scale.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 23-07-19 at 04:06 PM.

Oo___oO

What GPS modules are people running for vss preferable on CAN

I've got a racecapture track mk2, using lua script to send speed, heading, lat, lon, altitude and an at start finish line status bit. Im also sending the three axis acceleromter and gyro data to the ECU too.

You can also send ecu data to it and display in on a phone with app with warnings and stuff. I'm really Happy with it and the predictive lap thing is very cool.

It can also start and stop a gopro recording based on speed or pit exit/entry.

Other good options for gps are the life racing gps-a50 which you can't afford, or the plex vmu-900.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 29-07-19 at 03:01 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    I've got a racecapture track mk2, using lua script to send speed, heading, lat, lon, altitude and an at start finish line status bit.

You can also send ecu data to it and display in on a phone with app with warnings and stuff. I'm really Happy with it and the predictive lap thing is very cool.

It can also start and stop a gopro recording based on speed or pit exit/entry.

Other good options for gps are the life racing gps-a50 which you can't afford, or the plex vmu-900.
    Have you got the Shift light for it? Im planning on going the Track Mk2 and Shift X3
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Can we start making a list or quick reference guide with maybe a best and good ranking over stock? i know it is very car dependent but might help for a first page quick reference instead of trolling through the pages

Air intake sensor - T1 Fast = Best and Densor = good
    Knock Sensor
    Cam Sensor
    Crank sensor
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Have you got the Shift light for it? Im planning on going the Track Mk2 and Shift X3
    no haven't gone that far but looks like a cool bit of kit.

Oo___oO

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Can we start making a list or quick reference guide with maybe a best and good ranking over stock? i know it is very car dependent but might help for a first page quick reference instead of trolling through the pages

Air intake sensor - T1 Fast = Best and Densor = good
    Knock Sensor
    Cam Sensor
    Crank sensor
    Start a wiki page, seriously that's exactly what it's for and it will outlast this forum.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Start a wiki page, seriously that's exactly what it's for and it will outlast this forum.
    Yeah, but on which wiki? Would get turfed pretty quickly from the full wikipedia and there isnt any natural home for this sort of thing.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Cant remember where we were up to with the convo, but this MAP sensor and temp sensor combo came up:
    https://www.efisolutions.com.au/pres...4-bar-map-sens

Im interested in it as it will cut down on the wiring required and the vac line into the cabin.

Anyone using one?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

in regards to sensors at what point do you start looking at individual sensors and so on?

i'm trying to work out a happy medium between bare minimum and a nice to have/lower spec motorsports car... had bates rally car at work and seeing so many sensors made me think about this.

seeing a lot of cars have individual o2 sensors and so on.
    Last edited by ROBAPHENT; 23-08-19 at 10:56 AM.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

the more data you have the more you will look at, you just need to work out if that data is going to be useful..

there is defiantly more data I would like to have but it comes at a cost. pressure sensors are cheap now, turbo speed sensors are not lol
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

As above....

I collect data for roads, and having too much is more often worse than not enough.

I advise to work out what story you want to tell to work out what information you need to tell the story, and from there you can work out what data you need.

I have a friend that has a car for sprints and he is a data need that collects data for the sake of collecting data. He has so much data he gets himself tangled in knits trying to work out what is making him slower it faster.

In my car prodports car I will get whatever the engine builder wants plus GPS data and basic throttle position and when I hit the brakes data to try to work out why I'm slow other than being old and out of practice, or as some would say, just shit at driving....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

on a low spec car, I like to have sensors on stuff that will cause a failure if there's a problem. Oil Pressure/Temp and Fuel Pressure are about the minimum extra sensors for me. The fuel pressure sensor proved its value identifying a fuel pickup issue at the track recently so I'm now revising the tank

I've got an excess of spare ECU inputs so recently added gearbox oil temp and coolant pressure to mine also and looking to add another T1 Race fast response intake air temp sensor in one of the plenum runners right at the inlet port of the head so I can see what difference there is between that and the usual pre-throttle IAT.

Would love to have individual lambda from each exhaust port, but that's cash I don't want to spend on the car at this stage
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 23-08-19 at 07:05 PM.