Thread: Winmax W6.5 pad review

Winmax W6.5 pad review

Having worn out a couple of sets of Project Mu Club Racers over a couple of years on the track Swift, it was time to try something new. This wasn't by choice, as I had always been very happy with the Project Mu, I just couldn't get any to suit the car. Motorsport Brakes supplied a set of W6.5s at a comparable price, about $360 from memory, and we set off to a track day at Wakefield Park.

We followed the bedding in procedure supplied by Winmax, and in the first session at pace, the improved bite over the Club Racers was noticeable, and that's saying something as the Club Racers are impressive in this regard.

The one thing I did not like about the Club Racers was their propensity to crumble around the edges. It didn't really affect their performance as far as I could tell, but I can't think it did anything for their longevity. No such problems with the W6.5s:

The car was on pace, and the brakes were super consistent and predictable. About half way though the day we identified a little issue with both the front rotors:

Now I may be reading too much into this, and the rotors were getting a bit long in the tooth, but I wonder if the cracks were caused by the W6.5s extra bite putting more heat into the rotors.

Fortunately we had spare rotors:

But no wire brush to clean the rust off them.... so the old Club Racers were put back into service for a few laps. By the end of which they were well past their used by date:

In summary, two thumbs up for the Winmax 6.5s, would buy them again and probably will when they wear out.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Are they usable in a street driven daily with occasional fast road drive? Or track only?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Are they usable in a street driven daily with occasional fast road drive? Or track only?
    Usable yes, as they are actually a rally pad, but recommended probably not. Temp range starts at 50 degrees, so might not pull up as expected from cold in an emergency stop. I think there would be better choices for your application.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    Usable yes, as they are actually a rally pad, but recommended probably not. Temp range starts at 50 degrees, so might not pull up as expected from cold in an emergency stop. I think there would be better choices for your application.
    Thanks - great to know. I have some Project Mus now (not sure what spec) and they're fine. Pagid Blue were always the pad of choice previously.

Have you tried Carbotech?
    https://ctbrakes.com/
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Thanks - great to know. I have some Project Mus now (not sure what spec) and they're fine. Pagid Blue were always the pad of choice previously.

Have you tried Carbotech?
    https://ctbrakes.com/
    I have not tried Carbotech. It doesn't look like they have them for my car.

Im a huge carbotech fan. start at an XP10 if it sees the road and XP12 if its a trailer car and see how you go. the xp10 is about equivalent to the club racers temperature wise. well mannered enough to use on the road, but a bit of noise cold.

pulls up a 1600kg skyline lap after lap. the important bit is putting down a transfer layer on the rotor to get them to perform optimally. the higher spec compounds like XP20 and XP24 (1100degC) are probably too serious for your rotors if you're killing them with W6.5s.

Oo___oO