Thread: Hidden speakers

Hidden speakers

How badly will my sound quality suffer if I mount my speakers (single pair in the back, no real room for front speakers) in the rear bulkhead behind the back seat? I realise that i'll probably loose some of the high frequencies - can i improve the situation by using splits and putting the tweeters in the front? Really don't want to do the speakers in the parcel shelf thing. In theory I could put a dual voice coil 4" speaker under the dash, but once again, would be playing through a layer of vinyl.
    Thoughts?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    It'll sound like shit most probably.

You can buy "period correct" speaker grilles in various sizes these days, depending on the size & shape you need.

https://www.chromelondon.com/index.asp?function=SEARCH and put "grill" in the search box.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

you cant have the tweeters too far away from the other speaker (like .5 metres max in a car) or you hear 2 sources of different music that are slightly out of time with each other.

tweeters can punch through fairly thick cloth trim OK - and you can do the cinema trick - the tweeters behind the screen output is boosted. most splits/coax systems actually have a tweeter that is more efficient than the woofer/mid, and actually have an Lpad or similar resistor set up on the crossover that you can bypass to get a good 2-4dB extra out of the tweeter for free.

sometime you can get good-ish sound from a small bluetooth portable system tucked up under the dash firing at your feet. If you have a portable speaker system like that put it where you can hide it and see. Another spot to try is under front seats firing up at dash. also try firing towards to the windows as most sound we hear is reflected sound anyway - so try all sorts of weird positions and angles and let your ears judge.
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    It'll sound like shit most probably.

You can buy "period correct" speaker grilles in various sizes these days, depending on the size & shape you need.

https://www.chromelondon.com/index.asp?function=SEARCH and put "grill" in the search box.
    I've got a period correct grill for the dash - it's not going back in because the reflection in the windscreen is as annoying as fuck. There are structural reasons I don't want to do the speaker in the parcel shelf thing again, been there, done that with this car, drove me nuts. Also, fuck paying more for the grilles than the speakers!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
    you cant have the tweeters too far away from the other speaker (like .5 metres max in a car) or you hear 2 sources of different music that are slightly out of time with each other.

tweeters can punch through fairly thick cloth trim OK - and you can do the cinema trick - the tweeters behind the screen output is boosted. most splits/coax systems actually have a tweeter that is more efficient than the woofer/mid, and actually have an Lpad or similar resistor set up on the crossover that you can bypass to get a good 2-4dB extra out of the tweeter for free.

sometime you can get good-ish sound from a small bluetooth portable system tucked up under the dash firing at your feet. If you have a portable speaker system like that put it where you can hide it and see. Another spot to try is under front seats firing up at dash. also try firing towards to the windows as most sound we hear is reflected sound anyway - so try all sorts of weird positions and angles and let your ears judge.
    Cheers, good stuff to try. Firing at the windows won't be much chop, 99.95% of the time I have them wound all the way down :P
    This is so low priority - I haven't had any sound system in the car for the last ~7 years, but i've been using a little bluetooth promo speaker a fair bit for the last ~6 months, so starting to think about doing it properly again.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I've got a period correct grill for the dash - it's not going back in because the reflection in the windscreen is as annoying as fuck.
    Paint the grill matte/satin in same colour as the dash top vinyl?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

stick pc speakers to your head rest - almost head phones haha
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Just use bluetooth headphones?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
    stick pc speakers to your head rest - almost head phones haha
    No headrest - the seat back stops about level with the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Just use bluetooth headphones?
    Errr no. And fuck idiots who use headphones while driving.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    No headrest - the seat back stops about level with the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Errr no. And fuck idiots who use headphones while driving.
    How is having, say ear pods in, and speaking to someone any more/less dangerous to listening to a podcast?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

because it blocks your ears so you cant hear your surroundings at all..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    AfterShokz bone-conduction headphones

Quote Originally Posted by AfterShokz
    Bone conduction technology, an open ear design and a suite of convenient features deliver premium music play and crystal clear calling without compromise. Designed with athletes in mind, Trekz Titanium are sweatproof, secure, and will allow you to hear your surroundings
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.